Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I confirm. F27 is working on Gaming X DDR4, too, with this setting. Thank you so much @beelzebozo for this !!

Hi @CaseySJ I spent two weeks racking my brain and almost deleting the entire drive to start over but here's what I found out. Appreciate your thoughts.

PROBLEMS
  • I began to notice wake from sleep causing a forced restart
  • Restart would take forever or simple hang
  • Shut down would force a restart
  • After boot, or wake from sleep, CPU usage would go from 15 watts to 75 watts with nothing running in the background
WHAT I TRIED (without a solution)
  • Change BIOS with different voltage settings. This would influence MacOS either becoming more or less stable, but still wake from sleep would revert any progress voltages seemed to make. I did learn that having VT-d off caused instability and a self-assigned IP address for Ethernet (since I am using I255-V natively without kexts)
  • Remap USBports. Even though I used USBToolbox on Windows, and successfully showed 15 ports with my LED/aura port on the motherboard disabled in windows - and used this for two months - upon launching Hackintool, it showed more than 15 ports and the aura port enabled.
    • So I tried USBMap on MacOS which still showed extra ports in Hackintool.
    • So then I used Hackintool to delete the extra ports and use Hackintool's created kext. Still, no change but at least my ports are under the limit now and Aura LED is disabled.
  • Recreate CPUFriendDataProvider.kext. Ran into problems creating it in terminal (as some others said, junk code was embeded).
  • Disable CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataProvider, CPUTopologyRebuild
  • Update OC. Why not? I went from 0.9.4 to 0.9.6 with the proper OC Configurator. Hackindrom says "Internal OC Beta?" which will hang if I try to click 'Reinstall OC'. I gave up and built my EFI folder by hand.
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 6.40.20 PM.png
    • I reverted back to 0.9.4 and Hackindrom has no problem. But the issues above remained. So I updated again to OC 0.9.6 and am ignoring Hackindrom.
Nothing changed the problems above. Also, after each change, I'd clear NVRAM on OC.

SOLUTION
As a last resort right before reinstalling the entire OS, I changed SMBIOS (with new serial numbers and board number) from MacPro 7,1 to iMacPro 1,1. My thinking was: "this is less work than a full reinstall."

Everything worked normal!! However, each problem listed above returned when I did an update from 13.5 to 13.6. I had read that upon system updates, CPUFriendDataProvider should be rebuilt. But nothing worked.

So I switched back from iMacPro 1,1 to MacPro 7,1 (again with new serial numbers and board number) and things are running normally.

Why do you think this is? My only thinking is that it clears some preference somewhere?

EDIT: and since I did benchmarks under both SMBIOS, here's my findings:
Geekbench
iMacPro 1,1 - 3,021 / 20,356
MacPro 7,1 - 2,800 / 19,790

Cinebench r23
iMacPro 1,1 - 34,045
MacPro 7,1 - 37,207

Speedometer 2.1 (my favorite bench because this is 'felt' more for my job, mainly doing web dev all day)
iMacPro 1,1 - 424
MacPro 7,1 - 526

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ I spent two weeks racking my brain and almost deleting the entire drive to start over but here's what I found out. Appreciate your thoughts.

PROBLEMS
  • I began to notice wake from sleep causing a forced restart
  • Restart would take forever or simple hang
  • Shut down would force a restart
  • After boot, or wake from sleep, CPU usage would go from 15 watts to 75 watts with nothing running in the background
WHAT I TRIED (without a solution)
  • Change BIOS with different voltage settings. This would influence MacOS either becoming more or less stable, but still wake from sleep would revert any progress voltages seemed to make. I did learn that having VT-d off caused instability and a self-assigned IP address for Ethernet (since I am using I255-V natively without kexts)
  • Remap USBports. Even though I used USBToolbox on Windows, and successfully showed 15 ports with my LED/aura port on the motherboard disabled in windows - and used this for two months - upon launching Hackintool, it showed more than 15 ports and the aura port enabled.
    • So I tried USBMap on MacOS which still showed extra ports in Hackintool.
    • So then I used Hackintool to delete the extra ports and use Hackintool's created kext. Still, no change but at least my ports are under the limit now and Aura LED is disabled.
  • Recreate CPUFriendDataProvider.kext. Ran into problems creating it in terminal (as some others said, junk code was embeded).
  • Disable CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataProvider, CPUTopologyRebuild
  • Update OC. Why not? I went from 0.9.4 to 0.9.6 with the proper OC Configurator. Hackindrom says "Internal OC Beta?" which will hang if I try to click 'Reinstall OC'. I gave up and built my EFI folder by hand.
    View attachment 574488
    • I reverted back to 0.9.4 and Hackindrom has no problem. But the issues above remained. So I updated again to OC 0.9.6 and am ignoring Hackindrom.
Nothing changed the problems above. Also, after each change, I'd clear NVRAM on OC.

SOLUTION
As a last resort right before reinstalling the entire OS, I changed SMBIOS (with new serial numbers and board number) from MacPro 7,1 to iMacPro 1,1. My thinking was: "this is less work than a full reinstall."

Everything worked normal!! However, each problem listed above returned when I did an update from 13.5 to 13.6. I had read that upon system updates, CPUFriendDataProvider should be rebuilt. But nothing worked.

So I switched back from iMacPro 1,1 to MacPro 7,1 (again with new serial numbers and board number) and things are running normally.

Why do you think this is? My only thinking is that it clears some preference somewhere?

EDIT: and since I did benchmarks under both SMBIOS, here's my findings:
Geekbench
iMacPro 1,1 - 3,021 / 20,356
MacPro 7,1 - 2,800 / 19,790

Cinebench r23
iMacPro 1,1 - 34,045
MacPro 7,1 - 37,207

Speedometer 2.1 (my favorite bench because this is 'felt' more for my job, mainly doing web dev all day)
iMacPro 1,1 - 424
MacPro 7,1 - 526
HackinDROM's issue with OC release version has been fixed in latest (2.1.9) version!

HackinDROM's issue with OC release version has been fixed in latest (2.1.9) version!
I updated within the app to 2.1.9 and it’s no longer opening from the Applications folder

Edit: Sorry for the false alarm, and thank you for the app. Uninstalled/reinstalled HackinDROM + restarted system a bunch of times, and it started working. *shrug*

Last edited:
Just upgraded to 2.1.9 without any issues. It shows OpenCore version correctly now.

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 11.41.06 AM.png

@CaseySJ, any ideas of why me switching SMBIOS would clear my issues up? (Remember, I switched from Mac Pro 7,1 to iMac Pro 1,1 and then back again. Same problems came up on both of those SMBIOS until I switched them.)

A question for the experts out there...

I understand that my 6800xt is about the best video card I can have right now, and possibly for the foreseeable future. That's fine; I don't do anything on macOS that's putting a strain on that card.

I do, however, dual-boot to windows and do a bit of gaming. I'm tempted to update to a 4070 Nvidia, but have a few questions:

1. What would be the procedure to install? Many of the guides I've seen seem to require information that you can only get from the booted system, but I have to imagine that if you install the card, the machine won't boot?​

2. I've seen this guide and think I can follow it, but I'm not certain that's the best way of going about accomplishing what I'm trying to do? It seems easier than Rehabman's guide, but I could be missing something.​
Thanks for any insight or advice!

@beelzebozo how is it running with the 13700? I was just looking at upgrading. Microcenter has the 13700K for $329 and the 14700K for $379. Also looking at 128GB of corsair vengeance ddr4 3600 RGB memory.

@CaseySJ, any ideas of why me switching SMBIOS would clear my issues up? (Remember, I switched from Mac Pro 7,1 to iMac Pro 1,1 and then back again. Same problems came up on both of those SMBIOS until I switched them.)
Actually I’m wondering if that was just a lucky fluke! There isn’t a logical explanation that I can think of. :)

Back