Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Anyone have sleep/wake working more than once in the same session on the DDR4 version with 13th Gen CPU?

Please share EFI without your serial info and BIOS version used.

I have tested beyond F8 starting at F20 with a 13700K and it is not working, thanks.

Anyone have sleep/wake working more than once in the same session on the DDR4 version with 13th Gen CPU?

I have tested beyond F8 starting at F20 with a 13700K and it is not working, thanks.
Hi @beelzebozo, I was just coming on here to ask @CaseySJ a question regarding sleep and wake issues I have battled with my i9-13900KF.

Casey, here's what I suspect: wake from sleep on an i9-13900KF Z790 begins to raise voltage levels.

TESTING RESULTS:
When a p core is undervolted too much and the system is still stable, Ethernet resorts to a self-assigned IP address. I can fix this in bios by adding a voltage offset to a p core. Now, if my theory is correct, Ethernet should come on upon wake (since wake adds voltage). IT DOES.

Further, in benchmarks like Speedometer 2.1 which bounces between a few P cores, upon wake, it should score higher from added voltage which does not cause thermal throttling (unlike Cinebench would). IT DOES.

Thus, eventually, waking in the same session causes a KP from too high of voltage (my guess upon these experiences).

CONCLUSION:
I am using CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataProvider with CpuTopologyRebuild. If I disable CpuTopologyRebuild, I can get another wake in however, performance goes down.

I'm guessing we need better frequency vector control in these kexts? It's over my head at this point but I did find an article where a person claimed using (0x09, 0x04) in _PRW for the DSDT.aml would fix everything.

The code would look like this:

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized) // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
{
Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
}

I have not tried this since he said to then save the DSDT.aml in the EFI folder - which I do not do at this point. Attached is my EFI if anyone is curious. Maybe something to try.

Any other thoughts from people?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    34.8 MB · Views: 21
Hi @beelzebozo, I was just coming on here to ask @CaseySJ a question regarding sleep and wake issues I have battled with my i9-13900KF.

Casey, here's what I suspect: wake from sleep on an i9-13900KF Z790 begins to raise voltage levels.

TESTING RESULTS:
When a p core is undervolted too much and the system is still stable, Ethernet resorts to a self-assigned IP address. I can fix this in bios by adding a voltage offset to a p core. Now, if my theory is correct, Ethernet should come on upon wake (since wake adds voltage). IT DOES.

Further, in benchmarks like Speedometer 2.1 which bounces between a few P cores, upon wake, it should score higher from added voltage which does not cause thermal throttling (unlike Cinebench would). IT DOES.

Thus, eventually, waking in the same session causes a KP from too high of voltage (my guess upon these experiences).

CONCLUSION:
I am using CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataProvider with CpuTopologyRebuild. If I disable CpuTopologyRebuild, I can get another wake in however, performance goes down.

I'm guessing we need better frequency vector control in these kexts? It's over my head at this point but I did find an article where a person claimed using (0x09, 0x04) in _PRW for the DSDT.aml would fix everything.

The code would look like this:

I have not tried this since he said to then save the DSDT.aml in the EFI folder - which I do not do at this point. Attached is my EFI if anyone is curious. Maybe something to try.

Any other thoughts from people?
The odd thing as that for many members here it seems to have worked fine till F8. I’ve tested every version after that and it hasn’t worked the same on Ventura and now Sonoma, with a 12th and 13th Gen cpu. Maybe it’s gpu related but it’s been the same - sleeps/wakes once then on sleep after that it hangs, maybe it’s gpu related - 6900XT.

I’ve also tried using my own SSDT-PLUG created in Windows for power management for both CPU and the results have been the same.

The odd thing as that for many members here it seems to have worked fine till F8. I’ve tested every version after that and it hasn’t worked the same on Ventura and now Sonoma, with a 12th and 13th Gen cpu. Maybe it’s gpu related but it’s been the same - sleeps/wakes once then on sleep after that it hangs, maybe it’s gpu related - 6900XT.

I’ve also tried using my own SSDT-PLUG created in Windows for power management for both CPU and the results have been the same.
I have a 6950XT spoofed.
I went back through @CaseySJ 's post about turning on Apple VTD for native Ethernet on i225v: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z690-aero-g-i5-12600k-amd-rx-6800-xt.317179/post-2331185

Followed to the T.

BIOS:
  • VT-D was already on
  • ERP is S5(4)
  • XMP 1
  • Enforce all defaults
  • P core by usage, each at 52
  • E core sync to 42
  • Ring enable, with auto for both
  • Power L1 & L2 at 253 watts, 56s
  • Rest auto - including LLC (lower is cooler)
So far, on short sleeps, I'm up to 5 wakes and no KP. CPU is running hotter though because of all the auto settings, on a 320mm AIO, I'm at 99c and Cinebench at 37200+ with these settings.

I also have:
CPUFriend + CPUFriendData + Cputopologyrebuild

I have a 6950XT spoofed.
I went back through @CaseySJ 's post about turning on Apple VTD for native Ethernet on i225v: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z690-aero-g-i5-12600k-amd-rx-6800-xt.317179/post-2331185

Followed to the T.

BIOS:
  • VT-D was already on
  • ERP is S5(4)
  • XMP 1
  • Enforce all defaults
  • P core by usage, each at 52
  • E core sync to 42
  • Ring enable, with auto for both
  • Power L1 & L2 at 253 watts, 56s
  • Rest auto - including LLC (lower is cooler)
So far, on short sleeps, I'm up to 5 wakes and no KP. CPU is running hotter though because of all the auto settings, on a 320mm AIO, I'm at 99c and Cinebench at 37200+ with these settings.

I also have:
CPUFriend + CPUFriendData + Cputopologyrebuild
I’m not getting KP. Just no sleep after 1st sleep.

Alright! I think I solved the issue, at least on my end with a i7-13700K on F26.

231111135740.jpg

You can see here the Sleep Wake Failure I was getting before the fix.

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 09.17.38.png

I made a change in BIOS here:

231111135800.jpg

I tested different combinations of Above 4G settings with Re-Size bar and nothing worked until I set the Aperture Size to the max value - 1024MB (the default is 256MB, anything below 1024MB won't work)

See part of my pmset -g log below after 4 sleep/wake cycles.

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 09.17.03.png

Again - this is for the DDR4 version with a 13th Gen CPU on F26 and a 6900XT. It may have boiled down to a graphics issue with the Aperture size not being high enough since all my peripherals would power down and the power LED on the case, but the case fans still spun and the system hanged.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 09.17.03.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 09.17.03.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 09.17.38.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 09.17.38.png
    262 KB · Views: 7

I have sleep working perfectly on my z690 Aero G, DDR4 (96GB), i7-13700KF, RX 6900 XT, F24 BIOS. The i9 kills sleep after 1 cycle no matter what I do. So I’m selling the i9. F25 destroyed sleep so I am sticking with F24. I will attach my EFI when I get home later.

Following beelzebozo's post setting aperture to 1024 gives me sleep with the i9-13900K. Keeping the i9 and selling the i7!!

Last edited:
Alright! I think I solved the issue, at least on my end with a i7-13700K on F26.

View attachment 574227

You can see here the Sleep Wake Failure I was getting before the fix.

View attachment 574223
I made a change in BIOS here:

View attachment 574228

I tested different combinations of Above 4G settings with Re-Size bar and nothing worked until I set the Aperture Size to the max value - 1024MB (the default is 256MB, anything below 1024MB won't work)

See part of my pmset -g log below after 4 sleep/wake cycles.

View attachment 574226

Again - this is for the DDR4 version with a 13th Gen CPU on F26 and a 6900XT. It may have boiled down to a graphics issue with the Aperture size not being high enough since all my peripherals would power down and the power LED on the case, but the case fans still spun and the system hanged.
You have posted same solution in April, is there any differences?

Right. Just confirming the same thing for 13th gen since I forgot about that. Good keeping track.

Last edited:
OK - so I think what happened after doing that is scheduled sleep doesn't work, which might be why I forgot that I posted that back in March lol. However, manually forcing sleep/wake does work.

After looking around, I found an app that works like PleaseSleep (which isn't supported anymore) called Sleep Expert https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sleep-expert/id1173339541?mt=12 which forces sleep.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 09.49.31.png

To unlock that feature it costs $1.99, and it worked after I ran it.

Last edited:
Back