Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I re-installed Ventura 13.1. I formatted the partition through disk utility. The EFI folder stayed intact, and Ventura re-installed fine. I’m re-installing it to fix an adobe issue, and I re-installed Lightroom classic. Midway through opening the program, my Hack shutdown. It won’t restart back into Ventura. I tried twice, and it hangs at the status bar filled midway. I waited about 4 minutes each time. On another partition on the same drive, I have Windows installed. I can boot into Windows without issue.

Rather than trying to re-install it again, I thought I would come here. What could be the issue?

I re-installed Ventura 13.1. I formatted the partition through disk utility. The EFI folder stayed intact, and Ventura re-installed fine. I’m re-installing it to fix an adobe issue, and I re-installed Lightroom classic. Midway through opening the program, my Hack shutdown. It won’t restart back into Ventura. I tried twice, and it hangs at the status bar filled midway. I waited about 4 minutes each time. On another partition on the same drive, I have Windows installed. I can boot into Windows without issue.

Rather than trying to re-install it again, I thought I would come here. What could be the issue?
Did you try commenting out GPU in device properties for your LR/GPU issue?
Also, the SN850X had a few firmware issues from its release. If you haven't yet, I'd try updating to the latest firmware in Windows before you try installing again.

Did you try commenting out GPU in device properties for your LR/GPU issue?
Also, the SN850X had a few firmware issues from its release. If you haven't yet, I'd try updating to the latest firmware in Windows before you try installing again.
I didn’t comment out the GPU. I was going to check that once I got a clean install to see if it fixes the GPU naming.

The boot drive is an SN850. The data drive is an SN850X on the latest firmware.

I didn’t comment out the GPU. I was going to check that once I got a clean install to see if it fixes the GPU naming.

The boot drive is an SN850. The data drive is an SN850X on the latest firmware.

I remember @Rag experiencing issues on a SN850X as boot drive in the ProArt discussion until the firmware was updated. From a data standpoint, I have an SN850X in an external TB enclosure, and the newer firmware improved the read/write performance significantly.

I remember @Rag experiencing issues on a SN850X as boot drive in the ProArt discussion until the firmware was updated. From a data standpoint, I have an SN850X in an external TB enclosure, and the newer firmware improved the read/write performance significantly.
I am getting 5700 MB/s Read and Write scores with black magic. What are you getting with your 850X? I haven't check to see if my firmware is up to date.

How did everyone get things working with BIOS F20-F22?

I was trying to fresh install Ventura last night on a new machine (13900K), and the installation wouldn’t even proceed past the Aero splash screen until I rolled all the way back to F8.

Now that I have Ventura installed, my next move is to try and boot with F22.

Last edited:
Is there any reason to delete the EFI partition on a re-install?

I believe it shows up in disk utility as mac base system when using disk utility from the install usb.

I was trying to fresh install Ventura last night on a new machine (13900K), and the installation wouldn’t even proceed past the Aero splash screen until I rolled all the way back to F8.

I was able to get Ventura running on a clean install using F22. I have a 12900K.

Although I did have the crash issue I am trying to troubleshoot.

I am getting 5700 MB/s Read and Write scores with black magic. What are you getting with your 850X? I haven't check to see if my firmware is up to date.
Here are my original speed tests in the external enclosure. I upgraded the firmware again since these tests, and when the enclosure is attached directly to my ProArt TB port, I get 2900/2900 read/write which is a significant improvement. Again, I'm not using as a boot drive.
@Rag was experiencing freezes on the SN850X until the firmware was updated.

Disregard, fake news. After four hours of troubleshooting different combinations of OpenCore and Gigabyte BIOS versions, I finally realized that the 5700 XT that I'm using for setup doesn't have ReBar. Changed the corresponding options back to Disabled, and I think I finally got it working (*knock on wood*).

Back