Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Overcoming I225 Ethernet Port Problems with Ventura.

I installed Ventura public beta on my Z690 Aero G following suggestions in earlier posts here. I made sure all the kexts were updated to the latest versions including Lilu 1.6.2, and using OC 0.8.3.

Here's a link to the Dortania files for OC 0.8.3 and LiLu 1.6.2 if needed.

I immediately had issues with Ventura involving networking:

1) WiFi was running, but I couldn't access my local network or the Internet. I found the current release version of Little Snitch is not compatible with Ventura. I removed Little Snitch and WiFi began working properly.

2) The I225 Ethernet port was not functioning. I found github and InsanelyMac postings which offered suggestions on restoring the I225 Ethernet in Ventura.

The solution was to download two files - SSDT-I225V.aml and AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext and install them in the appropriate EFI file folders. Both are provided in the attached Archive.zip file.

Then make the following changes with OpenCore Configurator:

1) Add SSDT-I225.aml to ACPI
ACPI.png

2) Add the AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext and set the MinKernel value to 22.0.0 to be used for Ventura only.
Kernel.png

3) Disable the Ethernet Devices entry in DeviceProperties, if it exists, using # in front of the Devices entry.
Device Properties.png

4) Add e1000=0 to NVRAM boot-args.
NVRAM.png

I have both Monterey 12.5 and Ventura 13.0 installed in the same APFS Container on my SSD, so I boot to either macOS using the same EFI. Both seem to work with this one EFI folder.

I hope this helps others who might have the same issues.

Edit: A USB-C dongle with an Ethernet port will also overcome the Ventura Ethernet issue, but isn't as "clean" as the software solution provided above.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    158.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
@NCMacGuy,

Just confirmed that your procedure works (Ventura Public Beta #1)!!

UPDATE:
It is not necessary to use SSDT-I225V.aml or SSDT-I225V-NO-DTGP.aml.

OPTIONAL: Just one modification for those with Thunderbolt SSDT: We should use the attached ACPI file instead.
Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 2.45.30 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-I225V-NO-DTGP.aml
    383 bytes · Views: 70
Last edited:
NOTE 1A has been added to the top of post 1:

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 2.53.22 PM.png

@CaseySJ Thank you so much for the detailed instruction. It is super helpful. I was able to get my mod working (on OC0.8.2) but I am having problem getting my builtin Thunderbolt working. I have tried the RIDGE-RP05-V2.aml or download the compiled aml file from Hackindrom ("Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge - Z690 Platform"). And tried just about all the Thunderbolt related SSDT files I can find here, but none of them worked. It seems that the ACPI path is either "RP05" or "PR21". Gigabyte Z690 AERO D has builtin Thunderbolt 4. I am not sure if the problem is due to wrong ACPI path since most people here are using PCI thunderbolt card. Attached is my EFI, if anyone could kindly give me some pointer, that will be great. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    44.3 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Overcoming I225 Ethernet Port Problems with Ventura.

I installed Ventura public beta on my Z690 Aero G following suggestions in earlier posts here. I made sure all the kexts were updated to the latest versions including Lilu 1.6.2, and using OC 0.8.3.

Here's a link to the Dortania files for OC 0.8.3 and LiLu 1.6.2 if needed.

I immediately had issues with Ventura involving networking:

1) WiFi was running, but I couldn't access my local network or the Internet. I found the current release version of Little Snitch is not compatible with Ventura. I removed Little Snitch and WiFi began working properly.

2) The I225 Ethernet port was not functioning. I found github and InsanelyMac postings which offered suggestions on restoring the I225 Ethernet in Ventura.

The solution was to download two files - SSDT-I225V.aml and AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext and install them in the appropriate EFI file folders. Both are provided in the attached Archive.zip file.

Then make the following changes with OpenCore Configurator:

1) Add SSDT-I225.aml to ACPI
View attachment 551120
2) Add the AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext and set the MinKernel value to 22.0.0 to be used for Ventura only.
View attachment 551121
3) Disable the Ethernet Devices entry in DeviceProperties, if it exists, using # in front of the Devices entry.
View attachment 551123
4) Add e1000=0 to NVRAM boot-args.
View attachment 551124
I have both Monterey 12.5 and Ventura 13.0 installed in the same APFS Container on my SSD, so I boot to either macOS using the same EFI. Both seem to work with this one EFI folder.

I hope this helps others who might have the same issues.

Edit: A USB-C dongle with an Ethernet port will also overcome the Ventura Ethernet issue, but isn't as "clean" as the software solution provided above.
Thanks, That fixed my issues as well

To have both macOS the process is, clone your macOs in monterrey in other partition or SSD, and then upgrade it through Apple Beta in one of them, with the same apple user, etc ????

To have both macOS the process is, clone your macOs in monterrey in other partition or SSD, and then upgrade it through Apple Beta in one of them, with the same apple user, etc ????

@guindillas

That is correct.

What I did was use Disk Utility to create a new APFS volume group within the same Container that my Monterey boot drive was located, and named it Ventura. (I prefer not to partition my drives, which is much less flexible in allocating space.)

Then I booted from a backup Monterey drive, and used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone Monterey to the new Ventura APFS volume group using the "Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant." One could alternatively use a Monterey installer to install a clean copy of Monterey to the Ventura APFS volume group.

I could then boot from the Ventura volume group, which actually contained Monterey, and then update it to Ventura public beta 1.

That's just one way to install Ventura for evaluation purposes.

@NCMacGuy,

Just confirmed that your procedure works (Ventura Public Beta #1)!!

UPDATE:
It is not necessary to use SSDT-I225V.aml or SSDT-I225V-NO-DTGP.aml.

OPTIONAL: Just one modification for those with Thunderbolt SSDT: We should use the attached ACPI file instead.

@CaseySJ

Good find! Now it's even a simpler mod.

Based on my testing the e1000=0 in NVRAM -> boot-args can also be removed.

@CaseySJ

Good find! Now it's even a simpler mod.

Based on my testing the e1000=0 in NVRAM -> boot-args can also be removed.
In my case the boot argument is necessary, otherwise the 1GbE driver gets attached instead of the 2.5GbE driver.

In my case the boot argument is necessary, otherwise the 1GbE driver gets attached instead of the 2.5GbE driver.
I put the above changes on test USB installer stick; I booted into Monterey. No problems > Ethernet working fine.

BTW, USB stick has OC 0.8.3 developer version which I'm going to test an install for the Ventura Public Beta.

Back