Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

First post in this thread. I'm using the CaseySJ EFI edited for my setup.

I am stuck and any help would be greatly appreciated. Basically, I'm completely rebuilding my hack to incorporate the Monterey 12.3 update (I clean installed Windows so I could do the PowerPlayTables thing - (not included in attached config)). I'm now ready to nuke Windows and go back solely to Mac but Disk Utility is not letting me write to any of my drives (internal NVME, but External USB are Non-Writeable as well).

AERO G, 12900K, 128GB, 6900XT, all NVME no SATA. External DAW USB sound.

IMG_0005.jpg

I'm attaching my cleaned config.plist, maybe something is obviously wrong that I've missed? This hack worked 100% until 12.3. None of my hardware settings have changed (I double checked bios). I DISKPART> clean'd everything to install Windows, now ready to do the MacOS equivalent, not working.

The exact Disk Utility error code is -69877. I can't google a single Hackintosh reference with that specific error.

Totally lost.. any ideas?

PS - TY CaseySJ for all the hard work! I know it worked at one point :D :D

Attachments

• config - redacted.plist
    27.9 KB · Views: 39
Another complaint here about poor 6900 performance after upgrading to 12.3.

I have had the same issue since I built the hack, and I can't pinpoint anything specific that triggers it. Sometimes sleep will work a number of times then fail, or fail first try. The issue also affects restart as well. I've tried unplugging usbs, enabling/disabling usb ports, enabling/disabling bluetooth and wifi, toggling xmp, reset nvram etc.

Other than that the hack is rock solid, thanks so much for the awesome build!

Monterey 12.2.1
OpenCore 0.7.9
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G using onboard wifi/bt
Intel i9-12900K
ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT
WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB
Seagate Barracuda 4TB 3.5in
Kingston Fury Beast 2x16GB 3600MHz CL18 DDR4

Keyboard, mouse, M-Audio Fasttrack Pro, powered usb hub plugged into rear usb3 ports.
I have had the problem. Turning memory profile off solved the problem. It was very inconsistent so the cause was hard to determine.

@CaseySJ
When a "sleep/restart failure" occurs, what specifically happens? On either sleep or restart, the LEDs on the front of the case turn off and the fans speed up. After that it is unresponsive until it shuts itself down after a few minutes.

Approximately how many sleep cycles occur normally? Sometimes one or two before failure, but it seems to happen randomly with failure happening more often than not.

EDIT: I suspect its only the GPU that stays running.
Unfortunately there's not much more I can suggest beyond the following:
  • Check BIOS parameters (configure them starting with Load Optimized Defaults).
  • Consider changing Platform Power parameters -- simply experiment with the handful of options present in that section.
  • Also see if enabling CSM Support makes any difference.

... Disk Utility is not letting me write to any of my drives (internal NVME, but External USB are Non-Writeable as well).
Hello @bonfilio124,

What error or message do you see in Disk Utility? Are you clicking on the parent name of the disk?

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 3.32.07 PM.png

Hello @bonfilio124,

What error or message do you see in Disk Utility? Are you clicking on the parent name of the disk?

View attachment 544529

I have no idea what the problem was but I’m back up and running now.

I did a Diskpart clean on the Windows drive from a windows install key and now Disk Utility is working magic again. Once the Windows drive was nuked (leaving me OS-less) the other drives format just fine as well. Who knows…..

Ty Ty!!

I have weird wall paper artifacts on 12.3 where with there are a few big squares where it doesn't render clearly. 5700XT GPU.

If using AMD 5xxx or 6xxx GPUs:

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.31.46 PM.png

Last edited:
@Casesj, I have a RX 6600 XT, and I have not any problems with 12.3 just using normal user applications (email, web browser, etc.). What can I test to determine if I need to modify my config.plist?

I have had the problem. Turning memory profile off solved the problem. It was very inconsistent so the cause was hard to determine.
I tried this again for my sanity's sake, no luck.
Unfortunately there's not much more I can suggest beyond the following:
  • Check BIOS parameters (configure them starting with Load Optimized Defaults).
  • Consider changing Platform Power parameters -- simply experiment with the handful of options present in that section.
  • Also see if enabling CSM Support makes any difference.
Gave these all a shot too, no luck. I'll keep searching for answers and report back if I find anything.

I have a few theories though, mostly to do with RAM, BIOS firmware, and the dodgy DisplayPort adapter connected to my monitor.

Back