Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hello,
Got my motherboard today, which was annoying, the UPS guy left it in a weird spot all the way at the end of my driveway in a snowbank in the rain. Luckily it was in a bag and was fine. Built the machine, and this evening got Monterey installed.

Have to say think you, this was super easy to get installed and running. In going through some of the OpenCore images in the tour, though, I noticed some differences between my EFI and the one in the images; some kernel things were checked around the CPUinfo and things like that, and the drivers for the CPU looked different - you show a different driver for a i5 and a i7/i9, and I don't have that.

Oh, and just to make you chuckle, I struggled for a bit trying to get the sound to work. No matter what Apple music would not seem to play sounds. However, I could occasionally hear the OS sounds being made. I had turned the volume up real loud by this point and after installing AppleALCU and STILL not hearing music, I tried a YouTube video. Of course, the beginning had some super loud rocket launch and it was loud as heck. So, I went back to Apple music, and realized there is a separate volume in there...... and it was all the way down.... :)

Oh one extra thing - Everything seems to work, except Bluetooth. I need to play around with that I went through some of the troubleshooting steps but didn't get anywhere.

1643859810174.png

Giving it a good run through - HWmonitor says its pulling around 125 watts or so, stacking about 415 16mp images plus all the light/dark frame sn all that.

Mike

In going through some of the OpenCore images in the tour, though, I noticed some differences between my EFI and the one in the images; some kernel things were checked around the CPUinfo and things like that, and the drivers for the CPU looked different - you show a different driver for a i5 and a i7/i9, and I don't have that.
Obsolete screenshots and instructions.
SSDT-PLUG-ALT-12/16 were used as a way to enable all cores in BIOS, hide E-cores from macOS to boot and use the full CPU in other OSes. With OpenCore 0.7.7 and its updated ProvideCurrentCpuInfo quirk there's no reason to use SDDT-PLUG-ALT-12/16 any longer.

Hello,
Got my motherboard today, which was annoying, the UPS guy left it in a weird spot all the way at the end of my driveway in a snowbank in the rain. Luckily it was in a bag and was fine. Built the machine, and this evening got Monterey installed.

Have to say think you, this was super easy to get installed and running.
Glad to hear it.

In going through some of the OpenCore images in the tour, though, I noticed some differences between my EFI and the one in the images; some kernel things were checked around the CPUinfo and things like that, and the drivers for the CPU looked different - you show a different driver for a i5 and a i7/i9, and I don't have that.
The main body of the build guide is correct with regard to settings for ACPI and Kernel sections of config.plist. Nothing obsolete about those instructions. Some screenshots in OpenCore Guided Tour may need to be updated; will do that as time permits.

Oh, and just to make you chuckle, I struggled for a bit trying to get the sound to work. No matter what Apple music would not seem to play sounds. However, I could occasionally hear the OS sounds being made. I had turned the volume up real loud by this point and after installing AppleALCU and STILL not hearing music, I tried a YouTube video. Of course, the beginning had some super loud rocket launch and it was loud as heck. So, I went back to Apple music, and realized there is a separate volume in there...... and it was all the way down.... :)
Yes, little things mean a lot...

Oh one extra thing - Everything seems to work, except Bluetooth. I need to play around with that I went through some of the troubleshooting steps but didn't get anywhere.

View attachment 541032

Giving it a good run through - HWmonitor says its pulling around 125 watts or so, stacking about 415 16mp images plus all the light/dark frame sn all that.

Mike
Which WiFi/BT device are you using?
  • On-board Intel?
  • BCM93460NG M.2 card?
  • Fenvi FV-T919 PCIe card?

Obsolete screenshots and instructions.
SSDT-PLUG-ALT-12/16 were used as a way to enable all cores in BIOS, hide E-cores from macOS to boot and use the full CPU in other OSes. With OpenCore 0.7.7 and its updated ProvideCurrentCpuInfo quirk there's no reason to use SDDT-PLUG-ALT-12/16 any longer.
I had a feeling that might be the case.

MY Bluetooth adapter is not getting an address looks like, WiFi is working but not Bluetooth. in my efforts to fix the intermittent Bluetooth it now doesn't work at all. At no point did it have a address though.

1643893337897.png

I tried disabling the three kexts in the first post and re-enabling them after that didn't work. Not sure if mine is some fake. I would suspect it is but the WiFi seems to work.
Which WiFi/BT device are you using?
  • On-board Intel?
  • BCM93460NG M.2 card?
  • Fenvi FV-T919 PCIe card?

I bought this

Which says its a "BCM94360NG NGFF M.2 2230"

The one in your original guide link was OOS so i searched for a replacement.

Thanks again,
Mike

Ok I tried a few more things with Bluetooth but an still unable to get the card to work. Here is my current setup.

There is a chance i goofed up some of the checks at the bottom of the screen - I was going through the OpenCore tour, and, when I saw one you had check, I didn't or vice versa, I checked it. I did not realize it was a little out of date.

I also followed the instructions a few pages back for adding in ALCU - that was not in the EFI I downloaded off the first post so i am glad i read through the entire thread - that's what got my sound working perfectly.

Not sure if there is any other info I can provide using another tool that might help troubleshoot but I am happy to provide it. I'm somewhat of a noob to OpenCore, but its already so much easier to deal with than Clover was.
1643929478310.png

\
1643929491559.png

1643929507329.png

Ok I tried a few more things with Bluetooth but an still unable to get the card to work. Here is my current setup.

There is a chance i goofed up some of the checks at the bottom of the screen - I was going through the OpenCore tour, and, when I saw one you had check, I didn't or vice versa, I checked it. I did not realize it was a little out of date.

I also followed the instructions a few pages back for adding in ALCU - that was not in the EFI I downloaded off the first post so i am glad i read through the entire thread - that's what got my sound working perfectly.

Not sure if there is any other info I can provide using another tool that might help troubleshoot but I am happy to provide it. I'm somewhat of a noob to OpenCore, but its already so much easier to deal with than Clover was.
View attachment 541115
\
View attachment 541116

View attachment 541117
Please try:
  • ACPI --> SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-INTEL.aml for USB ports and disable the other one.
  • Kernel --> Uncheck XhciPortLimit.
  • Reboot.
  • Then run IORegistryExplorer and scroll (not 'search') down to XHCI --> HS14 section. Post a screenshot.
Because the BCM94360NG is an M.2 module, it should connect to USB port HS14, which is the same one used by the original Intel module.

Please try:
  • ACPI --> SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-INTEL.aml for USB ports and disable the other one.
  • Kernel --> Uncheck XhciPortLimit.
  • Reboot.
  • Then run IORegistryExplorer and scroll (not 'search') down to XHCI --> HS14 section. Post a screenshot.
Because the BCM94360NG is an M.2 module, it should connect to USB port HS14, which is the same one used by the original Intel module.
That worked no problem!

I didn't realize the m.w card still used the USB port, I assumed it was over PCIE, it makes sense when you said the card used USB.

Now to try to figure out how to change the name of the Realtek audio so they have more obvious names :)

1643943214198.png

Did also uncover a problem with my machine and sleep, following the process of elimination it was my keyboard that prevents sleep. I have a Keychron k1, it has a battery in it but I have it connected with a cable, I suspect that the keyboard sends some weird signal when it "turns off" the LED backlights since that about when the computer decides to do its little sleep dance.

I'll play with it a little more maybe just turning off the keyboard prior to sleep will be enough. For now I had a regular keyboard that works with no problem

Back