Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Our local “Central Computer” store has it for MSRP at US$479. Didn’t pay one penny more!
Microcenter here in NJ, cost $465 plus$30 deducted if simultaneously purchasing CPU.

Please see “OpenCanopy Cheat Sheet” in Post 2.
Thanks @CaseySJ but I need it to be disabled permanently. With the OC picker option, it just disable SIP for the current boot. At reboot it gets enabled again.

Is there a way to disable SIP all the time ?

How to turn off System Integrity Protection in macOS

1. Click the Apple symbol in the Menu bar.
  2. Click Restart…
  3. Hold down Command-R to reboot into Recovery Mode.
  4. Click Utilities.
  5. Select Terminal.
  6. Type csrutil disable.
  7. Press Return or Enter on your keyboard.

Last edited:
I've fully assembled the Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi using an old NZXT X62 liquid cooler with LGA1700 bracket. It's in a temporary case. Current status:
  • Maple Ridge Thunderbolt hot plug working!
  • USB ports mapped.
  • Sleep and Wake working.
  • Shutdown and Restart working.
  • Aquantia AQC113 10 GbE port working. AVB is supported.
  • Intel i225V 2.5 GbE port working.
  • AppleVTD working without needing to remove and replace DMAR table because default DMAR table works!
  • Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT working.
  • 5600MHz DDR5 RAM working with XMP Profile I. (See About this Mac below.) Haven't tried Profile II yet.

View attachment 538970View attachment 538971
Issue:
  • macOS installer boots to gray screen. Specifically:
    • When "Install macOS" is selected from OpenCore picker, Apple Logo and progress bar appear.
    • After a few seconds a gray screen appears with a working mouse cursor. But that's as far as it gets.
    • The installer itself does not appear (hence no option for Disk Utility, Install macOS, Terminal, etc.)
  • The same USB install disk on Gigabyte Z690 Aero G successfully runs the macOS installer.
  • I have cloned a fully installed copy of macOS (from another Hackintosh) to the internal NVMe SSD of the new Asus Z690 ProArt.
Excellent. So it would appear then that the Maple Ridge hot plug issue on Gigabyte motherboards is a Gigabyte BIOS problem.

What’s the Maple Ridge NVM of the Z690 Pro Art?

Thanks @CaseySJ but I need it to be disabled permanently. With the OC picker option, it just disable SIP for the current boot. At reboot it gets enabled again.

How to turn off System Integrity Protection in macOS
  1. Click the Apple symbol in the Menu bar.
  2. Click Restart…
  3. Hold down Command-R to reboot into Recovery Mode.
  4. Click Utilities.
  5. Select Terminal.
  6. Type csrutil disable.
  7. Press Return or Enter on your keyboard.
@trs96's original instructions (before the edit) may be the better alternative, namely:
  • Change csr-active-config to E7030000 or FF0F0000.
Reason:
  • In the NVRAM section of config.plist we delete the previous setting of csr-active-config and set a new value each time the system boots.
  • So changing SIP via csrutil may not be permanent.

@Stork @beelzebozo

For Maple Ridge Thunderbolt hot plug support, please use try the attached SSDT. No ACPI renames are needed (_PTS to XPTS should be unchecked or removed). SSDT-DTPG is still needed.

This SSDT expects Thunderbolt on RP05.
I moved the Maple Ridge card to the middle slot and will try this out this week :D.

@CaseySJ....ASUS for my second Z690 build??????

Here we go again.....I am with you.:lol::lol::lol:

Microcenter here in NJ, cost $465 plus$30 deducted if simultaneously purchasing CPU.
Over the holidays I visited a Micro Center in Ohio and purchased the i7-12700K for $299. Yes, the full retail version for $299 instead of $419. Also purchased a Sapphire RX 6600 XT, but they didn't have Z690 ProArt Creator at the time.

You're fortunate to have Micro Center near you!

Excellent. So it would appear then that the Maple Ridge hot plug issue on Gigabyte motherboards is a Gigabyte BIOS problem.

What’s the Maple Ridge NVM of the Z690 Pro Art?
Good question. I'll need to boot Linux to query the Thunderbolt firmware. Because Thunderbolt Bus is not activated in macOS, it does not show firmware revision.

I've fully assembled the Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi using an old NZXT X62 liquid cooler with LGA1700 bracket. It's in a temporary case. Current status:
Oh boy... now you're giving me something to think about! Dual GPU possibility with TB4 hot plug- very intrigued!

EDIT- Wonder if your USB installer issue is the newer GPU. Maybe try the 6800XT?

So changing SIP via csrutil may not be permanent.
So Apple's way isn't permanent ? I had thought SIP stays disabled until you re-enable it again via recovery mode. On all of my Apple Macs this is how it works. It stays disabled through multiple reboots.

Last edited:
Back