Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Very interesting! I assume the setup software still works with modern macOS's?

No the software has not worked for at least this version of Catalina I run perhaps a version or two back before, I see the prohibited sign on the Firewave.app. It is the device that just works it has a firewire connection to the OS and it continues to work every day, day in day out without fail. I would think until Apple drops support for the the firewire interface.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 9.14.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 9.14.23 AM.png
    213.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 9.15.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 9.15.19 AM.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 56
Wrong! The Silicon Graphics O2 has a unified memory architecture, yet it features
  • eight RAM slots,
  • an upgradable CPU (on a daughter board, one may even upgrade from the R5000/R7000 generation to a R10000 or R12000 MIPS CPU),
  • one industry-standard PCI-X slot,
  • two slots for user-replaceable HDDs (standard 80-pin SCA connector, while not the most common interface it lets you use non-SGI-rebranded drives),
  • an interchangeable AV module (just audio or audio + video capture).
The O2 was a stylish, low cost (for the manufacturer… let's say "lower cost") workstation with amazing capabilities thanks to its unified memory architecture (real-time background replacement in a live video stream was a big "wow!" in the mid-90's). As outlined, above, it was perfectly upgradable, and very easy to service (just pull at tab and the motherboard slides out on its tray…) although some parts were proprietary and came at SGI prices (aargh! 239-pin SDRAM modules).
If Apple can pull out a mini-Mac Pro that fits every item of the above description (stylish, relatively low cost, amazingly capable, upgradable) with modern equivalents (say, DDR5 RDIMM, E1.S storage and the SoC on some Apple proprietary variant of an OAM GPU module), it will be a cult machine, just like the O2.
There's a big difference between technically possible and the direction Apple will take. There is nothing in recent Apple history to suggest that any modular system will be produced other than a top-of-the-line MacPro with a steep starting price. Rumors from sources that have been quite reliable suggest that everything below the top end will feature a unified system architecture that won't be modular or upgradeable. Even a rumored Apple Silicon "Cube" is most likely to be closed.

The design decisions of Apple Silicon -- particularly M1 Pro and Max -- suggest that Apple intends to keep their systems locked down as much as possible.

@CaseySJ I'm experiencing crashes on the 2nd cycle of my wake sleep like you did.
Can you guide me on how to try to fix it on my Z690i Aorus?

Thanks

@CaseySJ I'm experiencing crashes on the 2nd cycle of my wake sleep like you did.
Can you guide me on how to try to fix it on my Z690i Aorus?

Thanks
Run the following command in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
This will create a file in Documents folder called bootlog.txt. Please post that file.

** Alternatives to Sidecar **
Updated: See Correction

As we know, Sidecar does not work on this system due to lack of a supported iGPU. I've been experimenting with two alternatives:

Luna Display:
This is a combination of USB thumb stick and software. It enables wireless second-screen capability across iPad and Windows.
  • On both Z690 (without supported iGPU) and Z490 (with supported iGPU) Luna Display does not work. Their website specifically mentions incompatibility with Hackintosh.
  • Correction: On Z490 with iGPU set to display mode (not headless) using Platform ID 0x3E9B0007, Luna Display works quite well!
  • On Apple MacBook Pro 14" connected wirelessly to iPad mini 6, there is noticeable lag/latency compared with native Sidecar.

Duet Display:
This is a software-only solution that also supports Windows and comes in two forms:
  1. Wired connections for one-time US$9.99
  2. Wired and Wireless connections for US$19.99 billed annually (this version is called Duet Air)
I purchased the wired version. Impressions:
  • With iPad mini 6 connected via USB-C to USB-C cable to both Z690 and Z490 Hackintosh, the software works but suffers from considerable lag/latency to the point of being unusable. Menus and clicks in particular suffer the greatest lag. Window movement, on the other hand, is quite fluid.
  • On Apple MacBook Pro 14" (also connected via USB-C to USB-C cable) the responsiveness is very good although it still lags a little in latency compared with wireless Sidecar.

Tentative Conclusion:
At this time neither Luna Display nor Duet Display is a viable option for Hackintosh.

Last edited:
And given that open core has been updated to make all P + E cores + hyper threads available to macOS, hackintosh will continue to flourish as Raptor Lake comes with even more E cores. ...
Furthermore, because Apple is still selling Intel-based Macs today and will continue doing so even in the first half of 2022, it means we can expect macOS to be supported on Intel x86 for at least 4 more years. That is a long time given the fact that my first Hackintosh -- the Z390 Designare -- is only 3 years old, but feels like a lot longer...

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 6.13.44 AM.png

A funny thing...
I've been hackintoshing since Snow Leopard (will always be my favorite OS) in 2009. A GA-EX58-UD5 with Chameleon. It was my first hack so it will always have a special place in my heart. About six months after I created it, I decided to build my 3 nephews a new "pc" with identical hardware as a Christmas gift. They were big gamers on Windows, but I included an option to boot into Snow Leopard on a second drive. Over several months, the family started to use the Mac side more and more, and after a year, the only reason they went in to the Windows side was to play games period. The rest of their everyday use was on the Mac side. Today, that family has all Apple hardware in the house (2 iMacs and 3 MBP's). That hack still exists, still boots, and they still monkey around with it (for nostalgia purposes I suppose) but it really speaks to the potential longevity of these systems. I ended up dismantling mine for upgrade purposes, but it ran for many, many headache free years.
While I can't say for certain a family of five would never have purchased Mac hardware without this hack, I can definitely say that their experience on the hack converted them over to using MacOS and Apple hardware much faster than they ever would have otherwise. It's a funny thing... pc hardware running MacOS, +5 long term customers.
Build on!

@gandem

Great story!

It seems Hackintosh expands the market for Apple products. It brings more people into the Apple ecosystem — people that might otherwise have cursed Apple for lack of affordable and/or modular and/or non-thermally constrained systems and moved entirely away to other platforms.

Here is the file @CaseySJ
Should I create if after the crash? I'm 99% sure this one is after the crash. but I can try again

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    236.4 KB · Views: 48
Here is the file @CaseySJ
Should I create if after the crash? I'm 99% sure this one is after the crash. but I can try again
This file shows that all 22 ACPI tables were acquired and loaded successfully, which means there may be a different cause to your wake-from-sleep problem.

Suggestions:
  • Post screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Patch section, but widen the window so we can see which ones are enabled. Example below.
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 7.06.14 AM.png

• If that 4th patch is enabled, please try this:
    • Uncheck that patch
    • Reboot
    • Run this command again and post the output file: log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt

Back