Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi guys, just wondering if it's safe to upgrade to Sonoma directly from Ventura 13.6.5. My use is mostly video/audio editing (Adobe & Resolve).

Is there any changes needed to be made to the EFI folder (last EFI that CaseySJ posted, updated with Hackindrom) in order to update the system correctly?

Thanks in advance!

just wondering if it's safe to upgrade to Sonoma directly from Ventura 13.6.5. My use is mostly video/audio editing (Adobe & Resolve).
You can always try it out first on a clone of your current boot drive. Then if things don't work, you've still
got your working Ventura install to return to. Safety nets during upgrades are a good idea.

@CaseySJ,

I've found the source of the problem... and that's kinda insane: below the photo of the "murder weapon".

Murder weapon indeed! :)

Glad you discovered the source of the problem. Now I'll also take my own advice about "process of elimination" and see if I can solve the boot delay on Z390 Designare.

Hi guys, just wondering if it's safe to upgrade to Sonoma directly from Ventura 13.6.5. My use is mostly video/audio editing (Adobe & Resolve).

Is there any changes needed to be made to the EFI folder (last EFI that CaseySJ posted, updated with Hackindrom) in order to update the system correctly?

Thanks in advance!
Please see this post first!

@maeluse,

Which version of macOS are you running at this time? You indicated an interest in upgrading to 14.4, but did not mention which version is currently in use.

I am experiencing the same or similar issue with 14.4 on my Z390 Designare in that the boot process begins normally with the Apple logo and progress bar, but the bar pauses midway for what seems like 30-60 seconds, then continues normally and completes successfully.

I haven’t noticed any issues with internally installed SSDs being recognized or recognized after a few minutes. All internal drives are mounted right away, but the boot delay is there.

I will troubleshoot the boot delay and see if any solution I find on my Designare might apply to the Z490 Vision D.
I seem to remember having the problem of it rebooting after about half way through after the update from Ventura to Sonoma. I’m on OC 0.9.3. What I remember is that I had to install Sonoma from scratch. Works now.

Hi,

I have just tried to upgrade from Ventura 13.6.5 to Sonoma 14.4 using a CCC SSD bootable backup of my Ventura NVMe and it goes part way through the install and then goes in to a reboot loop when macOS Installer is selected to complete the installation.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Hi,

I have just tried to upgrade from Ventura 13.6.5 to Sonoma 14.4 using a CCC SSD bootable backup of my Ventura NVMe and it goes part way through the install and then goes in to a reboot loop when macOS Installer is selected to complete the installation.

Any ideas what may be causing this?
With macOS 14.4 we need to disable “SecureBootModel”. Please give that a try. When the upgrade is done we can change it back to “Default”.

Please confirm if this works. I’ll then update the Sonoma mini-guide.

I was having the same issue @jimbojingle described trying to upgrade a clone of my current boot drive (Ventura) to Sonoma. I can confirm the upgrade goes smoothly and fast just disabling “SecureBootModel” as @CaseySJ suggested :thumbup:
Thank you. I've updated the Sonoma mini-guide accordingly.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 11.31.45 AM.png

Back