Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

The OCLP patch may or may not work.
  • On my Designare Z390 it does not work even though it installs
  • On my Asus Z690 ProArt it does not install
  • On my Asus Z690-i mini-ITX it installs and works
  • On my Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Ryzen) it corrupted the system, but I was able to erase the disk and recover from a backup
    • Update 27 Nov:
      • Turns out "APFS Replication" fails when the OCLP patch is installed
      • This is used by Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup
If anyone tries the patch, make a full bootable backup or at least back up the data volume and the current EFI folder.

Last edited:
The OCLP patch may or may not work.
  • On my Designare Z390 it does not work even though it installs
  • On my Asus Z690 ProArt it does not install
  • On my Asus Z690-i mini-ITX it installs and works
  • On my Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Ryzen) it corrupted the system, but I was able to erase the disk and recover from a backup
If anyone tries the patch, make a full bootable backup or at least back up the data volume and the current EFI folder.
thank you for your info. I see you don't mention Gigabyte Z490 Vision D.
Does OCLP work on it?

thank you for your info. i see you dont mention Gigabyte Z490 Vision D.
Does OCLP work on it?
Alas I have not upgraded to Sonoma (yet) on the Z490 Vision D.

Alas I have not upgraded to Sonoma (yet) on the Z490 Vision D.
It worked fine for mine on Z490 Vision D with a Broadcom wifi Bluetooth card -

BCM94360

for a long time I used Sonoma and everything worked great on Z490 Vision D, but after the last update I got the following:
an error occurred preparing the software update
I have also tried fresh install via USB and got the same issue:
an error occurred loading the update

as usual I use latest OpenCore with all new kext etc...
I can’t understand what happened because before that everything worked and I did not change anything.

@CaseySJ I am planning to reinstall my sonoma system because it is broken. Not sure what it is but the system fails each time I try to update to new versions via the settings, or when it reboots it takes so long that at one point I thought the system was stuck in a loop! My question: do I need to provide a new serial number, model, etc. in the platform info or can I reuse the current one? Just planning to copy the entire EFI folder of my current system on the USB install key and the new SDD. Thanks. also is there a benefit in changing from 19,1 to whatever suits best for my configuration after 19,1?
Thanks

@CaseySJ I am planning to reinstall my sonoma system because it is broken. Not sure what it is but the system fails each time I try to update to new versions via the settings, or when it reboots it takes so long that at one point I thought the system was stuck in a loop! My question: do I need to provide a new serial number, model, etc. in the platform info or can I reuse the current one? Just planning to copy the entire EFI folder of my current system on the USB install key and the new SDD. Thanks. also is there a benefit in changing from 19,1 to whatever suits best for my configuration after 19,1?
Thanks
It’s okay to use same serial numbers for a fresh install. This is preferred because applications that are licensed to those serial numbers will not complain.

But we can also change system product name and serial numbers, which will make the system appear as a new machine to your apps. Hence they may require re-licensing.

for a long time I used Sonoma and everything worked great on Z490 Vision D, but after the last update I got the following:
an error occurred preparing the software update
I have also tried fresh install via USB and got the same issue:
an error occurred loading the update

as usual I use latest OpenCore with all new kext etc...
I can’t understand what happened because before that everything worked and I did not change anything.
Is this still happening?

I have to admit that for the past 6 month I was no longer usiong the software update but going to a full installer macOS, as the error during preparation of the upgrade was so frequent.
NO idea why, but since the recent releases all is going smoothly.

Make sure that your config.plist has the boot argument "-revpatch=sbvmm".

Back