Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I have an update on my NVMe Thunderbolt enclosure saga. I received the Orico M214C3 enclosure and it connects and is recognized by both Thunderbolt ports on my Vision D. I confirmed connection to Thunderbolt on macOS Ventura using IORegistry. I also confirmed connection to Thunderbolt on Windows 10 and Linux Ubuntu using their respective utility programs. This confirms that the Thunderbolt ports on my Vision D are working. This enclosure is also recognized as a Thunderbolt device on my M1 MacBook Air.

The Orico M214C3 uses an Intel JHL7440 Thunderbolt 3 chip which is Titan Ridge, same as on our Vision D motherboard. I assume the fact that they are both Titan Ridge controllers improves the likelihood of compatibility. The Orico enclosure also contains a second JMicron JMS583 chip which is used for backward compatibility with USB3 and USB2. This also seems to be working well.

The NewQ NQ-HS-01 enclosure that I previously purchased uses a more recent ASMedia chip ASM2464PD. I did a bit of research and this chip is described as a USB4/Thunderbolt controller that is supposed to be compliant with Thunderbolt 4 specifications but backward compatible with Thunderbolt 3 and legacy USB 3.2. Based on current reviews, enclosures containing this chip are rated as having the best speeds currently available. Despite this supposed backward compatibility, it is clearly not working on my Vision D board regardless of what OS I am running. It does, however, work very well on my M1 MacBook Air. This raises several questions for which I have no answers. Is this chip truly not compliant with Titan Ridge systems or is there something unique about its implementation on this enclosure? Is there is something unique about the Titan Ridge controller on our board or perhaps my BIOS settings that is preventing this enclosure from being recognized? I will probably reach out to the manufacturer in an attempt to obtain some understanding. Unfortunately, both my knowledge and my time are limited.

Last edited:
@MacGeoDoc

This does seem to be a Thunderbolt firmware issue. Asus, for example, packages new Thunderbolt firmware into certain BIOS updates, which makes things more convenient. But these new firmware versions discontinue support for Thunderbolt 1 and 2 devices.

Apple may be unique in supporting both the latest and oldest versions of Thunderbolt.

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I had to load my backup since the system would not work anymore because of a botched upgrade.

The good news is that the backup system is restored and running. The bad news is that I no longer can pick which OS I want my computer to boot with. I used to have at the Picker 2 icons, for macOS and for Windows. Now I have one for macOS but the icon where Windows was previously now reads NO NAME. When executed, I get a black screen instead of Windows.

How do I fix it and what is the best way to restore the Picker?

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I had to load my backup since the system would not work anymore because of a botched upgrade.

The good news is that the backup system is restored and running. The bad news is that I no longer can pick which OS I want my computer to boot with. I used to have at the Picker 2 icons, for macOS and for Windows. Now I have one for macOS but the icon where Windows was previously now reads NO NAME. When executed, I get a black screen instead of Windows.

How do I fix it and what is the best way to restore the Picker?
No recommendations? @CaseySJ, perhaps you may help?

Thanks

No recommendations? @CaseySJ, perhaps you may help?

Thanks
Simply boot macOS, mount EFI partition of the Mac drive, expand the EFI folder by one level (not all levels), and post a screenshot.

Then repeat for the Windows drive.

Based on what we see in the two screenshots we may be able to identify the problem.

Looking into upgrading from my 5700 XT to 6800 XT or 6900 XT.
My current system is running macOS Catalina on a Golden Build following this exact guide with an i9-10900K. If I follow the guide to upgrade to Sonoma, should I be able to put a 6800 or 6900 into my system afterwards, and the new MacOS drivers will just run it fine?

@RentColours Yes. No change if you pick a regular 6800/6800 XT/6900 XT; 6900 XTXH or 6950 XT would require an extra spoofing step.

@RentColours Yes. No change if you pick a regular 6800/6800 XT/6900 XT; 6900 XTXH or 6950 XT would require an extra spoofing step.
Sweet, thanks for heads up!

With the fakeid spoof, does macos utilise the difference between the xtx or 50 version, or does it run it as whatever stock is

My assumption is that the difference isnt worth the $ or the extra step

Hi everyone,

I would have a very innocent question to all of you. I plan maybe to switch my 10700K to an 11th gen CPU. My BIOS version is old. I did not and never had to update it since it was recommended back then by @CaseySJ in his configuration guide. I would then need to update my BIOS.

Should I expect any misfortunes?... regarding the functioning of the thunderbolt ports for example? or is it all history with the latest version of OpenCore and it will work right away?

Back