Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

This error has happened to me in the past couple of days on two or three of my systems. In all cases I simply tried again, and it worked properly.

In other words, when Software Update throws the error “Failed to prepare…” just try the software update again right away
I have tried right away so many times and always had the same problem. In the end I gave up. Going to try Sonoma now and will see.

@CaseySJ Tried Sonoma upgrade and as expected it failed preparing the upgrade at the 25 minutes mark. While doing some investigation on the net, there were a couple of solutions such as repairing your startup disk which I did via First Aid in Disk utilities and got the following error. Could that explain the reason for failing to prepare the software installation? Note that I had not issue installing/upgrading up to 13.4.1 via the Apple software update. The issue appeared after the 13.4.1 upgrade. Coincidentally after 13.4.1 I did an OC update with Hackindrom which messed up my EFI. I had to do the OC upgrade to 0.9.4 manually.
1695815661495.png

Is Fenvi card working with Sonoma?
Wifi is not OOB supported, BT 4.0 is.

Note that CaseySJ is not offering support here for the OCLP method. I would simply wait for a less complex solution than this one, that doesn't make your hackintosh less secure. That doesn't require you download the full macOS installer with each point update of Sonoma. Something better, more elegant, may come along.

For the "impatient ones" that can't wait, here's what the OCLP devs have offered as a short term solution:

To use our current patches, you'll need to ensure the following:
  • System Integrity Protection is set to 0x803
    • csr-active-config | data | 03080000
      • Reset NVRAM or add csr-active-config to Delete to ensure the new variable is set
  • AMFI is disabled
    • boot-args | string | amfi=0x80
  • Secure Boot Model is set to Disabled
  • Following kexts are blocked:
    • com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily (Reference)
    • Set MinKernel to 23.0.0 to ensure patches only apply on Sonoma
  • Following kexts are injected:

Last edited:
Updated my machine to Sonoma today, upgrade process went fine without hiccups. Had to re-arrange the monitors I have plugged on the video cards.

I have the Fenvi T919 card and 2 x Vega 64 OEM cards. 3 displays connected on one card. - Only one display is working

Looks like only the first two display outputs from the PCI side of the cards are enabled. Ended up plugging the 3rd display on the 2nd video card.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ I am in the process of trying to fix my corrupted EFI and although the system boots fine I think this is he reason preventing me to upgrade my system to 13.5.2 or Sonoma. I have booted up my system from my backup clone and trying to fix as per the folliowing guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-repair-macos-catalina-efi-partition.303925/
Trying to execute sudo gpt remove.. returns a "permission denied' and after some investigation, one of the reason could be SIP. SIP needs to be disabled. What is the value I need in the config.plist to disable completely SIP in Ventura?

@CaseySJ I am in the process of trying to fix my corrupted EFI and although the system boots fine I think this is he reason preventing me to upgrade my system to 13.5.2 or Sonoma. I have booted up my system from my backup clone and trying to fix as per the folliowing guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-repair-macos-catalina-efi-partition.303925/
Trying to execute sudo gpt remove.. returns a "permission denied' and after some investigation, one of the reason could be SIP. SIP needs to be disabled. What is the value I need in the config.plist to disable completely SIP in Ventura?
To disable SIP please try csr-active-config=FF0F0000

Not the most elegant of solutions, but all is running well (including my Broadcom Wifi) in Sonoma thanks to OCLP.
I hate running with SIP disabled, but what's a guy to do.
Perhaps a better solution will present itself..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 1.20.37 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 1.20.37 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
Back