Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

So I switched to iGPU in the hope I might be able to put a dormant nVidia card in the machine I can just use in Ubuntu.
All working fine on display and acceleration is working etc, but it seems to break sleep.
Sleep was working perfectly on the AMD card.
Now if I leave the machine idle past the power saving settings, it enters an unresponsive state.
CPU fan whirring (normally near silent with no load on the CPU) so it thinks it's doing something,
but won't respond to keyboard, power button, or Screen Sharing.
Left with no option but to hold the power button in which I really hate doing.
Any ideas?

macOS Sonoma Installation Mini-Guide:

Thanks @CaseySJ - Not sure if symptom has gone forever or come back with the new Fenvi-T-919 but for now I have put the new card in.

- Both my BT Keyboard(Logitech) and Apple Mouse 2 were not recognized;
- So connected one wired keyboard, and a USB-dongle-mouse;
- Start/Restart and then logged in as usual using wired-keyboard and USB-mouse;
- BT icon appeared in the menu bar and listed all BT devices as well but was not connecting to anything; and
- Removed them one by one, added again - Worked :) - was simple.

So now I have to observe if it was 3-year long running outgoing Fenvi-T-919 the issue (weak signal or hardware fault) OR it is something else like sleep-wake cycle killing/affecting BT.

Will update after some time... for now am happy that it didn't require re-do/fresh-install or any other app reinstall. Everything is like before.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was too quick to be happy on the BT card change - it is still happening :( - with the new card as well. @CaseySJ - any idea what can cause it (BT getting disabled randomly)?

So I was too quick to be happy on the BT card change - it is still happening :( - with the new card as well. @CaseySJ - any idea what can cause it (BT getting disabled randomly)?
Could this be due to a signal attenuation issue? Because the back of a PC usually has a lot of cables, and because many PC cases are made of steel (which strongly interferes with RF signals), I use these antenna extenders:

Could this be due to a signal attenuation issue? Because the back of a PC usually has a lot of cables, and because many PC cases are made of steel (which strongly interferes with RF signals), I use these antenna extenders:

No, doesn't seem and this is not antenna issue, 3 years no problem, same location, same box (one side glass panel), only HDMI cable in the back, very clean. Interestingly I don't even update the s/w (there is a sec.patch 2022-005 for Catalina ver. 10.15.7, which I never applied in last 2 years and still everything works fine).

Except since last one+ month this Bluetooth issue started. And it is not hardware issue (since it is new card).

- Just now deleted the lib->pref->Bluetooth.plist
- Bluetooth.plist got recreated after shutdown/start
- Now it shows only y'days added two items i.e. mouse and BT-keyboard - and - all other devices are gone

May be... BT module kept looking for a device which I never used (for so long). Am not sure... But will update again tomorrow.

Thanks for your time on this.

So I switched to iGPU in the hope I might be able to put a dormant nVidia card in the machine I can just use in Ubuntu.
All working fine on display and acceleration is working etc, but it seems to break sleep.
Sleep was working perfectly on the AMD card.
Now if I leave the machine idle past the power saving settings, it enters an unresponsive state.
CPU fan whirring (normally near silent with no load on the CPU) so it thinks it's doing something,
but won't respond to keyboard, power button, or Screen Sharing.
Left with no option but to hold the power button in which I really hate doing.
Any ideas?
Oh man this is really doing me in.
It puts the display to sleep, I can access folders over the network, I can continue screen sharing if a session is open, but not start a new one.
Out of frustration, I did a fresh OS Install, went back to CaseyJ's OC 0.9.2 EFI with the iGPU config and just fixed Ethernet with suggestions made earlier about making i225-V working with AppleIGP.kext etc.
But alas, the problem persists.
I thought, okay fine, I'll just workaround by using Screen Saver and set Display to Sleep to Never.
But those options are gone!
Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: ok I found the options under Lock Screen (strange place), but I'd rather have it sleep as it did on the AMD config. Does everyone else using iGPU find their Display wakes just fine under 13.5?

Last edited:
Oh man this is really doing me in.
It puts the display to sleep, I can access folders over the network, I can continue screen sharing if a session is open, but not start a new one.
Out of frustration, I did a fresh OS Install, went back to CaseyJ's OC 0.9.2 EFI with the iGPU config and just fixed Ethernet with suggestions made earlier about making i225-V working with AppleIGP.kext etc.
But alas, the problem persists.
I thought, okay fine, I'll just workaround by using Screen Saver and set Display to Sleep to Never.
But those options are gone!
Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: ok I found the options under Lock Screen (strange place), but I'd rather have it sleep as it did on the AMD config. Does everyone else using iGPU find their Display wakes just fine under 13.5?
Have you tried using a SSDT that disables the nVidia card in macOS?

Hi all,
Is there out there a PCIe wifi+BT 5.0 that works with Ventura (and hopefully sonoma)? I am after one that supports BT 5.0. I have already one that supports 4.0 but having some issues with it and some speakers.
Thanks

You know what? :)
You are just amazing !!!Just tick the box to enable the kext, and it works...
Been checking around for ages, just forgot to triple check this one.
Thanks so much...
Can you again share the EFI file that successfully activated the 2.5G network?
grateful.

Back