Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

So it seems that the Broadcom/Apple card as far as WIFi is not supported by macOS Sonoma anymore, which would cause problems with Airdrop, Continuity, watch Unlock, etc., etc.
The public beta is a few weeks away but I would like to start getting ready and possibly switch to Intel chip-based WiFi.
What are the options on a Z490 v.D?

I happen to have two BrosTrend AC1200 USB-based Wi-Fi adapters. They use a Realtek chip that is compatible with Chris1111's drivers. We have to disable SIP in NVRAM (csr-active-config = FF0F0000). This device and driver combination is compatible with Monterey and Ventura. For other versions of macOS, feel free to try and see.

Link to Wi-Fi adapter on Amazon:

Link to Chris1111's drivers:

I happen to have two BrosTrend AC1200 USB-based Wi-Fi adapters. They use a Realtek chip that is compatible with Chris1111's drivers. We have to disable SIP in NVRAM (csr-active-config = FF0F0000). This device and driver combination is compatible with Monterey and Ventura. For other versions of macOS, feel free to try and see.

Link to Wi-Fi adapter on Amazon:

Link to Chris1111's drivers:

@CaseySJ Thanks.
I got one of the adapters and installed the drivers, it works in general but unfortunately my company's WiFi network requires you to accept a certificate before connecting, so the drivers do not work for that particular connection. I wrote to Chris1111 and he very kindly immediately answered, but there is no solution.

So I'm back to try the onboard Intel Wifi of the z490 v.D, which I think it's Intel.
I installed AirportItlwm.kext 2.2.0 in the OC kexts folder (from the OpenIntelWireless GitHub) but I cannot get it to work.

Any suggestion? I'm attaching my config.plist (-UEFI infos)

Thanks

Attachments

• Intelconfig.plist
    36.4 KB · Views: 19
** Intel WiFi with itlwm **

If AirportItlwm is not available for a particular version of macOS, we can try itlwm in combination with HeliPort to enable on-board Intel WiFi.
  • Copy itlwm.kext into EFI/OC/Kexts
  • Add an entry in config.plist -> Kernel
  • Download HeliPort and copy it into Applications folder
  • If you have Gigabyte Designare Z390, disable SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml as shown:
    Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 4.30.41 AM.png
  • We can keep SIP enabled (csr-active-config 00000000)
  • Reboot
When system starts up, run HeliPort from Applications folder. You should then see a WiFi icon in menu bar. Select your SSID from there.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 1.46.01 PM.png

On my Asus X670E Gene, the on-board Intel WiFi is just as fast as wired Ethernet!

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 1.40.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Yes we can upgrade to 2Gbps, but what I have now is more than sufficient for my needs.
With Fiber Optic internet you'll get upload speeds that match downloads. With your current plan but using a fiber carrier you would see way over 500 Mbps upload speeds.

This is what I get for upload speeds on a basic fiber plan.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

** Intel WiFi with itlwm **

If a version of AirportItlwm is not available for a particular version of macOS, we can try itlwm in combination with HeliPort to enable on-board Intel WiFi.
  • Copy itlwm.kext into EFI/OC/Kexts
  • Add an entry in config.plist -> Kernel
  • Download HeliPort and copy it into Applications folder
  • We can keep SIP enabled (csr-active-config 00000000)
  • Reboot
When system starts up, run HeliPort from Applications folder. You should then see a WiFi icon in menu bar. Select your SSID from there.

View attachment 567617

Unfortunately, it looks like Itlwm cannot do WPA2 Enterprise Security

1686426003836.png

I'm afraid come Sonoma it might be the end of the line for my hackintosh.......

Back