Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello @grandosegood

The problem could be related to Ethernet, BIOS version and/or NVMe. If the same system with the same BIOS and same version of macOS has been running successfully for some time, and the only change is the switch from some other brand of SSD to Samsung EVO Plus, then of course the suspicion would fall primarily on the Samsung.

So:
  • Has the system been running properly for some time?
  • If so, was it using a different NVMe SSD or perhaps a 2.5” SATA SSD instead?
  • Has there been a BIOS change?
  • If Ethernet cable is disconnected, does the system work properly?

Thanks for the quick reply @CaseySJ.

I recently migrated from an Asus z490 E board to a Gigabyte z490 vision G (BIOS ver F6) to get better Thunderbolt compatibility. I am re-using all other parts (10900K, 2 x 32GB DDR4 RAM with XMP on, Radeon VII, 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus).

I previously dual-booted Win10 and Big Sur without issue. I followed the Dortania guide to get everything working, but keep getting these NVMe panics. I will be picking up an sn750 tomorrow to test. I haven't tested with Ethernet disconnected, but I will try that. I'm using the device properties Comet Lake guide from Dortania, so I don't think that could be causing it. The Samsungs are also on the latest firmware, but I'm wondering if the latest version of Big Sur/OpenCore/NVMe fix have revealed yet another reason to ditch the Samsungs. Kind of a bummer because I always thought they were the gold standard for reliability.

Hi, everyone!

For more than 2 years I had a very stable system (10700K, 32GB, RX570), dual boot with Big Sur and Win10. Suddenly I had random freezes on both OS. Well, the journey of finding the reason started with swapping different components. I even had the mainboard checked by Gigabyte with no result. They returned it to me with BIOS F21.
After several attempts I found the problem - it was the 10700K! Intel was so kind to replace it and I had to do a fresh install for the Mac OS (Win still worked).

Now I have OpenCore 0.7.8 with Monterey. I don't need all features running, so I am fine with how it works.
But! There is a problem when I leave the computer unused for a while. It starts to do so many reads on the NVME so that the system slows down. Beachball appears and it's hard to work with the system.

I don't have any idea where the reason for the problem is. If somebody had the same issue and could fix it - I would appreciated some info.

Best regards

Hi, everyone!

For more than 2 years I had a very stable system (10700K, 32GB, RX570), dual boot with Big Sur and Win10. Suddenly I had random freezes on both OS. Well, the journey of finding the reason started with swapping different components. I even had the mainboard checked by Gigabyte with no result. They returned it to me with BIOS F21.
After several attempts I found the problem - it was the 10700K! Intel was so kind to replace it and I had to do a fresh install for the Mac OS (Win still worked).

Now I have OpenCore 0.7.8 with Monterey. I don't need all features running, so I am fine with how it works.
But! There is a problem when I leave the computer unused for a while. It starts to do so many reads on the NVME so that the system slows down. Beachball appears and it's hard to work with the system.

I don't have any idea where the reason for the problem is. If somebody had the same issue and could fix it - I would appreciated some info.

Best regards
Hello @BYOH

Early versions of Monterey had a problem with “mediaanalysisd” that analyzes photos for faces and other attributes, and tags them accordingly. But if you’re using latest version of Monterey you should be fine.

However, BIOS F21 is something to avoid. If you see the top of Post 1 just under the photo, you’ll see that only F5, F6, and F20 are recommended.

Thanks, @CaseySJ , for fast response. I am on 12.6.2. Would you advise to flash the BIOS down to F20 (if possible)?

Thanks, @CaseySJ , for fast response. I am on 12.6.2. Would you advise to flash the BIOS down to F20 (if possible)?
Yes please try F20. If the problem persists, we can look into other possibilities.

Hello @grandosegood

The problem could be related to Ethernet, BIOS version and/or NVMe. If the same system with the same BIOS and same version of macOS has been running successfully for some time, and the only change is the switch from some other brand of SSD to Samsung EVO Plus, then of course the suspicion would fall primarily on the Samsung.

So:
  • Has the system been running properly for some time?
  • If so, was it using a different NVMe SSD or perhaps a 2.5” SATA SSD instead?
  • Has there been a BIOS change?
  • If Ethernet cable is disconnected, does the system work properly?

Hi @CaseySJ, I tried with an SN750 and am still getting crashes. It froze a few times during install. So I disconnected the Ethernet and tried again. Also made sure the SN750 was the only NVMe. However, it is still freezing during install. If Ethernet was the problem, what are some potential fixes? Ive followed the OpenCore guide from Dortania, and I don't think my EFI is messed up or bloated. Thanks.

Hi @CaseySJ, I tried with an SN750 and am still getting crashes. It froze a few times during install. So I disconnected the Ethernet and tried again. Also made sure the SN750 was the only NVMe. However, it is still freezing during install. If Ethernet was the problem, what are some potential fixes? Ive followed the OpenCore guide from Dortania, and I don't think my EFI is messed up or bloated. Thanks.
Which version of BIOS are you running? It may be necessary to downgrade the BIOS if you're on the latest version.

Yes please try F20. If the problem persists, we can look into other possibilities.
Tried to downgrade to F20. No success. Tried with bootable USB to DOS and with the BIOS tool from Gigabyte. Board is protected to install older version like F20. :mad:

In regards to the bootable USB: I've used the Rufus tool and when I try to start from the list of bootable devices it always go back to that list - without starting into DOS.

Hey @CaseySJ

I recently upgraded my Hackintosh with a new RX 6800 (was using the iGPU before). I’m wondering which values I would have to adjust in the config.plist? Or should I make a new file from the AMD GPU config.plist file?

Thanks in advance!

Hey @CaseySJ

I recently upgraded my Hackintosh with a new RX 6800 (was using the iGPU before). I’m wondering which values I would have to adjust in the config.plist? Or should I make a new file from the AMD GPU config.plist file?

Thanks in advance!
Hello @Rainmaker07

The easiest option would be to transfer your serial numbers into config-AMD-GPU.plist, backup the existing config.plist, then rename config-AMD-GPU.plist to config.plist.

Back