Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Sorry for bothering with such a minute, specially since there is still people struggling to upgrade to 12.0.1.

Has anyone got the "variable" refresh rate option with 12.0.1?

I have seen around a few reports of people who got support for adaptive sync on their external monitors and I was wondering if it is a "lottery" thing or there is some specific configuration required to get it to work.

Intel 12th Generation Alder Lake CPU successfully booted macOS this morning!

Have you tried connecting the Prophet Rev 2 to one of the Thunderbolt USB-C ports?
Solved. If you have the MIDI clock set to USB on the Prophet it blows up the USB bus on this system for some reason. Very niche problem I'm sure most people won't ever encounter, but there's the answer.

There are no practical differences between the two, but because you have a Comet Lake processor it would be "nicer" to use iMac20,2. It's okay to just change the system product name without changing serial numbers, but if you've already using iMac19,1 with those serial numbers, it's best to remove that computer from your iCloud account ahead of time.

Thanks.
What I noticed is that (I'm running 12. 1 Public beta) is that if I run 20,2 it does to show OS updates being available.
It was like that during the Monterey betas an it seems to be the same with the 12.1 betas as well.
I wonder if it's related to the iCloud account you Metin.

Maybe someone has seen this before and can offer some advice for this issue:

1. I have OC installed both on my Big Sur SSD internal drive and my Big Sur Backup external hard drive.
2. I noticed some time agothat BIOS used the OC on the Backup external drive not the internal SSD drive, although the EFI partition on both drives contained the exact same file. Things were working so I didn't worry about this, but this is the root of the problem I'm about to describe.

3. I installed OC 0.7.5 on both my primary SSD drive and on my Backup drive. Everything worked perfectly. BIOS brought up OC and I was able to select my primary Big Sur, Back Big Sur, Windows, and Linux. Everything booted perfectly.
4. Then I made a mistake. I used CCC to make a bootable backup of my primary drive which entailed erasing my backup drive. This worked but resulted in the following condition:
5. BIOS does no longer lists OC as a boot option even on my Backup drive and still doesn't list it on my primary drive. So I can no boot any Mac drive. However, I can boot from OC on the USB drive and then boot either Big Sur Primary or Big Sur secondary.

So the question is, why does the BIOS not recognize OC on the EFI partitions on those drives? I don't know. I did try the following:

1. Booted into recovery and used disk utility to repair both drives. Did not help.
2. Booted into recovery and used recovery to reinstall Mac OS X Big Sur on primary drive. Did not help
3. Was using BIOS F20, so booted into Windows and downgraded BIOS to F6 and reconfigured BIOS. Did not help.

4. Even tried an earlier version of OC, OC 0.7.4 but that didn't help either (didn't think it would since OC 0.7.5 wasn't recongnised either on either primary or backup by BIOS).

So how do I get BIOS to recognize OC in the EFI directories of the primary and backup drives? OC O.7.5 works perfectly from USB drive. BIOS doesn't list it as an option from internal primary and external backup drive any longer.

I've change BIOS, reconfigured BIOS, restored Big Sur, used recovery to check "Macintosh HD" on both primary and backup drives and still haven't been able to get BIOS to recognize bootable OC on EFI partitions. Used to recognize on backup drive until i used CCC to make a bootable backup which required erasing the drive.

Hope I've been able to describe this succinctly and it is understandable. The only option I'm left with is erasing my Mac drives and restoring from time machine, and it seems there must be something better.

Thanks

Rand

Last edited:

1. I have OC installed both on my Big Sur SSD internal drive and my Big Sur Backup external hard drive.
2. I noticed some time agothat BIOS used the OC on the Backup external drive not the internal SSD drive, although the EFI partition on both drives contained the exact same file. Things were working so I didn't worry about this, but this is the root of the problem I'm about to describe...........
Well this may be a solution to my problem, but if anyone has a simpler one, please let me know. Thanks

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-gone-after-bios-update.211715/#post-1409404

Rand

Well this may be a solution to my problem, but if anyone has a simpler one, please let me know. Thanks

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-gone-after-bios-update.211715/#post-1409404

Rand
BIOS checks for these files to determine whether an EFI partition is bootable:
  • EFI folder at the root level
  • EFI/BOOT folder
    • BOOTx64.efi located inside the EFI/BOOT folder
  • EFI/OC folder
    • OpenCore.efi located inside the EFI/OC folder
First thing would be to check whether the internal SSD and backup SSD both meet these criteria.

4. Then I made a mistake. I used CCC to make a bootable backup of my primary drive which entailed erasing my backup drive. This worked but resulted in the following condition:
5. BIOS does no longer lists OC as a boot option even on my Backup drive and still doesn't list it on my primary drive. So I can no boot any Mac drive. However, I can boot from OC on the USB drive and then boot either Big Sur Primary or Big Sur secondary.
@RandC

I ran into the same issue on my Z390 Designare recently when I decided to replace my Samsung 970 EVO because of the "slow boot" issue with Samsung drives and Monterey. I used the current version of Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone to an external USB-connected SSD. That booted without issues. I then replaced the 970 EVO on my Designare with the new SSD. I formatted it, and used CCC to clone the external drive to the new SSD.

I forgot to install my EFI folder on the new SSD. Booting with the Delete key into BIOS, the only boot partition displayed was the Windows Boot Loader on my second internal SSD. (If I recall correctly, even the external SSD used for cloning now wasn't displayed in BIOS or with the Fn12 key.) I was shocked! Luckily I had a USB thumb drive that I could use to boot into the OC 0.7.5 picker via the Fn12 key, and access the newly installed internal SSD. I got the EFI folder installed on the new SSD on the board. But it still wasn't displayed in BIOS as bootable.

I'm sure the CCC cloning was the root cause. A wild guess is that the drive was not "blessed?" But I don't know how that works.

I spent several hours trying to resolve the problem. I de-powered and shorted the board's BIOS reset pins. BIOS then displayed all my drives, including the new SSD, but the only one that showed the UEFI for booting continued to be my Windows Boot Manager. I continued to use my USB thumb drive for booting into the OC picker to get to my new SSD.

Unfortunately I don't remember what sequence of events solved the problem! I think I had to reinstall Big Sur on the new internal SSD to finally get the UEFI folder recognized in BIOS and bootable. (You have already re-installed Big Sur, so that doesn't work for you.)

Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I can confirm I had a similar issue involving CCC doing a "merry-go-round" clone.

@RandC

I ran into the same issue on my Z390 Designare recently when I decided to replace my Samsung 970 EVO because of the "slow boot" issue with Samsung drives and Monterey. I used the current version of Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone to an external USB-connected SSD. That booted without issues. I then replaced the 970 EVO on my Designare with the new SSD. I formatted it, and used CCC to clone the external drive to the new SSD.

I forgot to install my EFI folder on the new SSD. Booting with the Delete key into BIOS, the only boot partition displayed was the Windows Boot Loader on my second internal SSD. (If I recall correctly, even the external SSD used for cloning now wasn't displayed in BIOS or with the Fn12 key.) I was shocked! Luckily I had a USB thumb drive that I could use to boot into the OC 0.7.5 picker via the Fn12 key, and access the newly installed internal SSD. I got the EFI folder installed on the new SSD on the board. But it still wasn't displayed in BIOS as bootable.

I'm sure the CCC cloning was the root cause. A wild guess is that the drive was not "blessed?" But I don't know how that works.

I spent several hours trying to resolve the problem. I de-powered and shorted the board's BIOS reset pins. BIOS then displayed all my drives, including the new SSD, but the only one that showed the UEFI for booting continued to be my Windows Boot Manager. I continued to use my USB thumb drive for booting into the OC picker to get to my new SSD.

Unfortunately I don't remember what sequence of events solved the problem! I think I had to reinstall Big Sur on the new internal SSD to finally get the UEFI folder recognized in BIOS and bootable. (You have already re-installed Big Sur, so that doesn't work for you.)

Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I can confirm I had a similar issue involving CCC doing a "merry-go-round" clone.
Thanks for your story @NCMacGuy. Glad to hear you have it working again. I did re-install Big Sur booting into the recovery drive (which did not appear to work) but I have not installed Big Sur on either drive. I took Casey's advice and put all of my users into a separate APFS file systems, so I could wipe the backup drive, install Big Sur, and recover the users by cloning them from my primary drive. I think I'll try the "Clover" solution modified for OC if bcfg exists in the OC shell (haven't checked that yet). Good to know that I'm not going crazy. :).

BIOS checks for these files to determine whether an EFI partition is bootable:
  • EFI folder at the root level
  • EFI/BOOTfolder
    • BOOTx64.efi located inside the EFI/BOOT folder
  • EFI/OCfolder
    • OpenCore.efi located inside the EFI/OC folder
First thing would be to check whether the internal SSD and backup SSD both meet these criteria.
Done that Casey multiple times. I know the EFI folder works, because it boots from the USB drive. I know that Big Sur works because I can boot it from OC booted from the USB drive. I've put the EFI folder from the USB drive in the EFI partition of primary and backup. Nothing else is at root level. I use "EFI Agent" to mount the EFI partitions. It lists the "disk type" of the EFI portion as "EFI" so I am assuming that the partition type is correct. Here is "EFI Agent" display:

EFI Partitions.jpg

disk0 is my Windows Sabrent drive
disk1 is my primary Big Sur drive
disk1s1 is the EFI sector on the Big Sur Drive name EFI-SAB-822
disk4 is my Big Sur Backup Hard Drive
disk4s1 is the EFI sector on the Big Sur Backup Hard Drive and contains the same EFI folder as the USB drive.

Below is the contents of EFI-SAB-822 which is a copy of the EFI folder from the USB drive which boots into OC
EFI-SAB-822.jpg

So as far as I can tell, everything is correct, yet BIOS doesn't see OC on either drive.

Thanks

Rand

Back