Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Good job!
Thanks. Sorry to bother you again but because the computer was already open I could not resist to try the OpenIntelWireless drivers instead of the Fenvi card. I created a new OpenIntelWireless EFI with HackinDROM, shut down the computer, took out the card, and restarted the computer via the new EFI. The system does not boot properly and after a while the macOS repair utility appears. Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Peter

Thanks. Sorry to bother you again but because the computer was already open I could not resist to try the OpenIntelWireless drivers instead of the Fenvi card. I created a new OpenIntelWireless EFI with HackinDROM, shut down the computer, took out the card, and restarted the computer via the new EFI. The system does not boot properly and after a while the macOS repair utility appears. Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Peter
Same for me too.

...The system does not boot properly and after a while the macOS repair utility appears. Any idea what could be wrong?
This is like emailing your doctor and saying, "I have some pain. What could be wrong?"

What do you think your doctor will say to such a broad and undefined statement like that? In other words, whenever we report a problem we should characterize the problem as much as possible and include a list of troubleshooting steps that we took.

Ouch, that's not good. Some suggestions:
  • Perform CMOS Reset and re-configure BIOS parameters afterwards. Always start with F7(Load Optimized Defaults).
    • Do you see Thunderbolt settings now?
  • If not, shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to offfor at least 10 seconds (i.e. cold shutdown).
    • Then power on the system and re-flash BIOS F5.
    • Then configure BIOS parameters.
    • Do you see Thunderbolt settings now?
Other thoughts:
  • When was the last time that Thunderbolt worked?
    • Last week?
    • 2 weeks ago?
    • 1 month ago?
  • Were any devices added to or removed from the motherboard?
    • Any NVMe SSDs added or removed?
    • Any SATA SSDs or HDDs added or removed?
    • Any PCIe cards added or removed?
  • Was the motherboard taken out of the case for any reason?
  • Can you see the Thunderbolt Flash ROM chip on the backside of the motherboard?
    • If so, does it look okay?
    • Any disconnected pins?
    • Any missing resistors near the chip?
Hi @CaseySJ sorry to bother again... I did the CMOS reset with no result, and later I tried to flash the SPI chip with the backup but it did not read the chip. I recently move to another house, and I cant remember any significant to happen to the PC case. I just stoped using the interface for two months, aprox. Do you think it's related to the SPI chip flashing? Or maybe something I did wrong trying to activate the thunderbolt bus after doing a fresh install of Big Sur MacOS? Or this seems to be a hardware problem only?

I checked the motherboard and nothing seems lost or missing with the thunderbolt chips, I also noticed the thunderbolt port can connect any usb type c, it just doesnt recognize the thunderbolt devices .

On other hand, I managed to get VRS8 connected with the PCI card included with the package, where you can connect the VRS8 with an hdmi cable to older Mac systems or Windows (Curiously i can see the vrs8 like a thuderbolt device in audio midi setup) . I also enabled the appleVTD, i can confrim this was the solution to the audio input problem where the system doesn't get any signal from inputs, and only monitor the signal.

It be wise contact with Gigabyte support to check the motherboard?

Hi @CaseySJ sorry to bother again... I did the CMOS reset with no result, and later I tried to flash the SPI chip with the backup but it did not read the chip. I recently move to another house, and I cant remember any significant to happen to the PC case. I just stoped using the interface for two months, aprox. Do you think it's related to the SPI chip flashing? Or maybe something I did wrong trying to activate the thunderbolt bus after doing a fresh install of Big Sur MacOS? Or this seems to be a hardware problem only?

I checked the motherboard and nothing seems lost or missing with the thunderbolt chips, I also noticed the thunderbolt port can connect any usb type c, it just doesnt recognize the thunderbolt devices .

On other hand, I managed to get VRS8 connected with the PCI card included with the package, where you can connect the VRS8 with an hdmi cable to older Mac systems or Windows (Curiously i can see the vrs8 like a thuderbolt device in audio midi setup) . I also enabled the appleVTD, i can confrim this was the solution to the audio input problem where the system doesn't get any signal from inputs, and only monitor the signal.

It be wise contact with Gigabyte support to check the motherboard?
@Fabrizzioa04,

To check Thunderbolt status, can you please run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side to RP05, then post a screenshot?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 16.58.28.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 16.58.28.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 44
Sure. I hope is this:
When we use the search bar in IORegistryExplorer, it collapses the device tree. That's why it's better to just scroll down. Anyway, simply click the "x" at the right side of the search bar so the tree expands. Then post a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 16.58.28.png

Are you sure there were two EFI partitions on the same physical SSD? Is that SSD segmented into a macOS partition and a Windows partition?

To be clear, OpenCore does show a boot icon for Windows? But after you select Windows, the screen goes black? If so, please follow the procedure to disable AppleVTD (4 posts above this). Then see if Windows will boot.
As usual, @CaseySJ, you're a blooming genius. This immediately solved the problem is all is well in Hackintosh land. It's been months of perfect operation and I can't thank you enough. Awesome work!

When we use the search bar in IORegistryExplorer, it collapses the device tree. That's why it's better to just scroll down. Anyway, simply click the "x" at the right side of the search bar so the tree expands. Then post a screenshot.

View attachment 527687
Sorry, I'll better send you the complete file too just in case

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 17.57.03.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 17.57.03.png
    257.6 KB · Views: 43
  • iMac de Favio (2).ioreg
    15.6 MB · Views: 38
Back