Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

The only computer games I have played in the last 25 or so years are chess and Scrabble. No fancy GPU needed for either one! Imagine my savings... ;)
My savings were just fine until I discovered this build! Well that, and a 1080P video I made taking 30 hours to render on my 2012 Macbook Pro... :lol:

Thanks @CaseySJ! Successfully upgraded my 8700K + z370 mobo to a Z490 Vision-D + 10850K for my video + audio work using your guide. No problems so far!

Now if only I could snag a better video card for my windows10 gaming...

Thanks @CaseySJ! Successfully upgraded my 8700K + z370 mobo to a Z490 Vision-D + 10850K for my video + audio work using your guide. No problems so far!

Now if only I could snag a better video card for my windows10 gaming...
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

ahaha!

Unrelated, anyone here has this issue, after macOS wakes up, all text on all applications is blurry? And also clicking on anything that is clickable won't work. It does the animation, but nothing happens.

The text just goes crispy and stuff is clickable after I click on top of the window, or resize it. When I do this, the application goes back to having crispy text and I can actually click on stuff on it.

This happens with all the applications... Not sure what this can be related to? I use dual monitors btw. 4K@60HZ and 2K@144HZ

Hi,
Quick question regarding Big Sur updates, do i need to turn Securebootmodel back to "disable" (i'm using intel Wifi@bt) before updating to Big Sur 11.1 from 11.0.1?
(And then back to "Default" after the update)
With OC 0.6.3 this should not be needed anymore - you should be able to leave it on now.

Anyone else unable to change the brightness on their monitor with Big Sur?

Edit: Scratch that, I didn't have Monitor Control set to open on Login in Big Sur like I did in Catalina :lol:

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

thank you! long time lurker.

quick q - with OC, what's the best way to get a serial to prevent the system from saying that my Apple ID needs to be re-entered via System Preferences on 10.15.7? That's my only issue that came up so far

thank you! long time lurker.

quick q - with OC, what's the best way to get a serial to prevent the system from saying that my Apple ID needs to be re-entered via System Preferences on 10.15.7? That's my only issue that came up so far
We can generate a new serial number through OpenCore Configurator itself, as shown:
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 1.57.42 PM.png

Step 1: Click as shown and select system name.
Step 2: Click Check Coverage and verify that the new System Serial Number is not already in use. If you see error message from the coverage website, then you are Good.

Yes, correct.
Speaking about secure boot model, which setting do you recommend to use on a day to day basis? I’ve been using disabled, but what is the benefit of Default be?

Also, what changed in the Thunderbolt SSDT in your vision d 0.6.4 folder compared to earlier versions from the July 2020 timeframe?

Speaking about secure boot model, which setting do you recommend to use on a day to day basis? I’ve been using disabled, but what is the benefit of Default be?
At least with Catalina and earlier, it loads a different kernel cache called the "Immutable Kernel", allows loading kexts like AirportItlwm as IO80211Family is included. The same cache is used with or without secure boot though in Big Sur. Most Macs by default now have secure boot enabled though, including those without a T2 chip, so it seems to be the expected state for macs now.

It's additional security that really doesn't have any reason to be turned off tbh.

Back