Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

It's possible that the procedure has changed in 10.15.7, so at this time I do not know how to change the CPU name. Fortunately, this is only cosmetic and does not affect the operation of the system.

If I find a solution (or if someone already knows a solution), I'll update the guide.

Here is what I found for Catalina.

How to do :
1. Type 'sudo mount -uw /'

If your cpu is 'unknown',
Use this method :
https://github.com/corpnewt/CPU-Name

If your cpu is shown as Intel,
This will be the method :
1. Go to terminal (make sure u mount the system as read/write as I said above)
2. Enter
cp /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en.lproj/Processors.strings ~/Desktop/

3. Open it with BBEdit and u should see the name your cpu displayed as :
For example my system show 6-Core Intel Core i5
<string>6-Core Intel Core i5</string>
<key>6-Core Intel Core i5</key>

Replace it with
<string>6-Core Intel Core i5</string>
<key>The Name u wanted to set</key>

4. Save it !
5. replace your modified Processors.strings to the system by going to the folder
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en.lproj/
6. Place the modified string file there !
7. reboot and enjoy

5. replace your modified Processors.strings to the system by going to the folder
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en.lproj/
6. Place the modified string file there !
Does this not require having SIP disabled though?
I guess if you really really want to change it, it's fine - but it generally is better to leave the system partition alone. Not to mention that it's a royal pain in the backside to do on Big Sur.

Hi @CaseySJ

If you decide to do a mini ITX build and go for the Asrock Z490 ITX Phantom Gaming TB3 (it has Thunderbolt 3, good VRM, and CNVI unlocked), you can replace the original WIFI/BT card with a BCM94360NG. This will fit on the same housing, and the original antennas will also work. No need to waste a NVMe slot with a WiFi card :D

Has anyone been able to find a fix for Big Sur, detecting a Corsair Commander Pro as a Uniterruptible Power Supply? This is described in the Troubleshooting / FAQ section for this Build for Catalina but not for Big Sur.

Quote.
The Corsair Commander Pro, when connected to one of the two internal USB 2.0 headers, may appear to macOS as an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). This may in turn affect sleep and wake behavior. A workaround to this problem can be found by reading this post and the posts referenced within that post.

Credit: @jb007

I managed to achieve it in a Big Sur beta but can't find a solution for the final Big Sur release.

Hi @CaseySJ

If you decide to do a mini ITX build and go for the Asrock Z490 ITX Phantom Gaming TB3 (it has Thunderbolt 3, good VRM, and CNVI unlocked), you can replace the original WIFI/BT card with a BCM94360NG. This will fit on the same housing, and the original antennas will also work. No need to waste a NVMe slot with a WiFi card :D
I am actually using the BCM94360NG in my Ryzentosh (Gigabyte B550 Vision D) with very good results. In fact, I'm typing this on the Ryzen system right now.

Now that M1 Macs have arrived with unparalleled price-to-performance-to-power ratios and the outlook for 2021 is even rosier, I am forced to reevaluate my plans. Interestingly I am hearing rumors of an ARM chip coming soon from AMD. Will we be able to hack macOS onto that chip? It seems unlikely, but at least it's something to try.

Nevertheless, if Apple releases a smaller Mac Pro with next generation Apple Silicon SoC -- at a sane price point -- then I'll switch to that.
Like @Stork, I owned a 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) from January 2008 until my first Hackintosh -- the Z390 Designare -- in October 2018. I wanted to replace that aging Mac Pro with a similarly modular system, but there was nothing from Apple that fit the bill. Hence, Hackintosh!

But if Apple builds a modular compact tower once again, look out here I come! :)

Hi,
Quick question regarding Big Sur updates, do i need to turn Securebootmodel back to "disable" (i'm using intel Wifi@bt) before updating to Big Sur 11.1 from 11.0.1?
(And then back to "Default" after the update)
Yes, correct.

I am actually using the BCM94360NG in my Ryzentosh (Gigabyte B550 Vision D) with very good results. In fact, I'm typing this on the Ryzen system right now.

Now that M1 Macs have arrived with unparalleled price-to-performance-to-power ratios and the outlook for 2021 is even rosier, I am forced to reevaluate my plans. Interestingly I am hearing rumors of an ARM chip coming soon from AMD. Will we be able to hack macOS onto that chip? It seems unlikely, but at least it's something to try.

Nevertheless, if Apple releases a smaller Mac Pro with next generation Apple Silicon SoC -- at a sane price point -- then I'll switch to that.
Like @Stork, I owned a 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) from January 2008 until my first Hackintosh -- the Z390 Designare -- in October 2018. I wanted to replace that aging Mac Pro with a similarly modular system, but there was nothing from Apple that fit the bill. Hence, Hackintosh!

But if Apple builds a modular compact tower once again, look out here I come! :)
I understand!

For me it's the ability to have a gaming system and work system on the same desk/monitors. Before I had 2 desks, one with Desktop for gaming and another with macbook Pro 15 plugged into monitors for work.

But now I love this Hackintosh... 1 desk, 2 monitors, and I can just reboot into macOS to work and Windows to play.
A new M1 mac pro won't be able to do that for me unfortunately...

I understand!

For me it's the ability to have a gaming system and work system on the same desk/monitors. Before I had 2 desks, one with Desktop for gaming and another with macbook Pro 15 plugged into monitors for work.

But now I love this Hackintosh... 1 desk, 2 monitors, and I can just reboot into macOS to work and Windows to play.
Precisely why I built mine. Just waiting for Big Sur to support the new AMD 6000 GPUs...

I understand!

The only computer games I have played in the last 25 or so years are chess and Scrabble. No fancy GPU needed for either one! Imagine my savings... ;)

Back