Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hey chaps!

I've just successfully updated to 0.6.4 on Vision G.

One small question is how do you remove openshell.efi from the initial bootloader? Its suddenly appeared next to my drives lol

Also, I couldnt boot before because I got confused by the Vision G section saying remove IntelMausiEthernet.kext.

I ASSUMED that to be IntelMausi.kext so went ahead and deleted it.

However, I couldnt boot for last hour until looking at verbose mode and found it wasn't happy with removal of said kext (so I put it back on and here I am!).

Thoughts?
We need to remove IntelMausiEthernet.kext and replace it with IntelMausi.kext.

Guys, I just changed my CPU.
I tried to run cpu_name_v2 again with the new CPU information but had no success.
Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.
It seems that cpu_name_v2 will not work under either Catalina 10.15.7 or Big Sur.

Hi @CaseySJ can you please help me put with my Thunderbolt hotswap? With the current SSDT I can see my Thunderbolt loaded the PCI info, but I do not have sleep or hotswap. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.1 MB · Views: 40
RP21 is the correct root port, hence the attached SSDT is the right one. But this is the same one that you previously indicated as not-working. Are you sure that there are no other Thunderbolt SSDTs in your ACPI folder? Please post a screenshot of the OpenCore OC/ACPI folder.

Because the SSDT that attaches to RP05 was marked as "working" (which is not possible), it means there is another Thunderbolt SSDT that is attaching to RP21.
Okay I tried that one now. The only other I have is the SSDT-DTGP.aml. So the 2 attatched.

I tried now with this new SSDT and this is what I got on Hackintool:
When I plug a USBC to USB adapter, and then a usb 2.0 or 3.0 stick on it, the HS12 port is the one active (XHC). Then I plug a USB C external drive into the usb c port, the SSP1 (XHC2) goes on.

Meaning normal USB is handled by the USB 3.1 controller and USB C devices by the Thunderbolt controller?
Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 16.02.34.png

Attachments

• SSDT-DTGP.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 35
  • SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml
    3.2 KB · Views: 27
Okay I tried that one now. The only other I have is the SSDT-DTGP.aml. So the 2 attatched.

I tried now with this new SSDT and this is what I got on Hackintool:
When I plug a USBC to USB adapter, and then a usb 2.0 or 3.0 stick on it, the HS12 port is the one active (XHC). Then I plug a USB C external drive into the usb c port, the SSP1 (XHC2) goes on.

Meaning normal USB is handled by the USB 3.1 controller and USB C devices by the Thunderbolt controller?
I think that's okay.

The USB-C to USB-A adapter you are using might not be certified for USB 3.0. Note the following:
  • USB-A, USB-B, USB-C are physical connector types
  • USB 1.x, USB 2.x, USB 3.x are data transfer protocols
  • Not all USB data transfer protocols work on all USB physical connector types
So we must always check the specifications the (a) cable, (b) adapter, (c) hub to determine which USB data transfer protocols they support.

Hi @CaseySJ can you please help me put with my Thunderbolt hotswap? With the current SSDT I can see my Thunderbolt loaded the PCI info, but I do not have sleep or hotswap. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hello @Blast44,

Some questions and comments:
  • Did you follow a build guide when setting up the Asus Prime X299-A? If so, which one?
  • There is no SSDT-DTPG.aml in your OC/ACPI folder. I've attached that file below. The Thunderbolt SSDT (SSDT-TB3HP.aml) will not load without this.
  • You are using a DSDT.aml. I'm not sure if that's the original or if that's a modified version. Nevertheless, we must not use DSDTs with OpenCore. Instead, we should inject SSDTs that make very specific changes.
  • Have you seen the Dortania guide for X299? (Look at the Intel HEDT config.plist section.)

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 30
Just want to relay what a success this build has been for me, and expected nothing less from @CaseySJ coming from the Z390 DESIGNARE.

My build is as follows:
  • GIGABYTE Z490 Vision D
  • Intel i9-10850K
  • Noctua NH-U12S
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX5700XT
  • Fenvi FV-T919 from Newegg
  • 2 x WD BLACK SN850 (Windows on a 500GB in slot closest to CPU, Big Sur on a 1TB in next slot)
  • 2 x LG 27GL83A-B monitors
  • Magic Keyboard 2 w/ NumPad
  • Logitech MX518
First things first was flashing the TB controller before installation, and can report success with a generated SSDT. The only TB3 device I'm currently driving is a CalDigit TS3+ dock which is working wonderfully. Waking up from sleep seems to take its sweet time however, but that's about the only thing I can nitpick.

@reduxd

Good job and glad to hear it!

Hi, Casey

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I'm in Catalina 10.15.7.

Can you please point me to where to change manually the CPU info?
It's possible that the procedure has changed in 10.15.7, so at this time I do not know how to change the CPU name. Fortunately, this is only cosmetic and does not affect the operation of the system.

If I find a solution (or if someone already knows a solution), I'll update the guide.

Back