Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I'm experiencing the same problem on my Z490 Vision D, but not on my B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen CPU). OpenCore 0.6.4 should be released very soon along with a newer version of WhateverGreen, so let's try again after that. As usual, I'll create an OpenCore 0.6.4 Mini-Guide.
Very interesting @CaseySJ, hopefully those updates will make the difference. I hope others benefit from the updates also!

Read this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.298642/post-2159230

On Z490 Vizion D/G motherboards K and non-K CPUs hasn't any PL1/PL2 limits and CPU can always be on high frequency and power consumption. I mean, K and non-K CPUs has no limits and may consume more than 200W for 1, 2, 10 minutes - time doesn't matter, only temperature, and CPU need very good cooler to avoid throttling. Both versions is very fast (but you can overclock K version), but very hot too.

You can buy K or non-K CPU, and both versions need VERY GOOD cooler for i9 10850/10900(K) CPU.
If you have money for i9 - please, spent some for water cooling system (good solution, obviously, 360mm radiator cooler).

Please, read this posts:
The 10900k has 100mhz higher boost than 1085k and 10900 non k, and that 100mhz is using around 100w of power more, that's why i would not get that cpu at all. I would get the cheapest and also undervolt it to have much better perf/watt figures (and avoid throttling on air coolers)

Very interesting @CaseySJ, hopefully those updates will make the difference. I hope others benefit from the updates also!
@1Revenger1 is right. I'm using iMac Pro SMBIOS with iGPU disabled in BIOS and everything is working perfectly - Apple TV, Netflix and HBO GO in Safari. After changing SMBIOS to imacpro1,1 and disabling iGPU you'll have to remove ig-platform-id (from device properties) and both agdpmod and shikigva from boot arguments in config.plist. Just give it a go.

After 10 years of tinkering with Hackintoshes, I dare to say, it's the best one yet!

Last edited:
@1Revenger1 is right. I'm using iMac Pro SMBIOS with iGPU disabled in BIOS and everything is working perfectly - Apple TV, Netflix and HBO GO in Safari. After changing SMBIOS to imacpro1,1 and disabling iGPU you'll have to remove ig-platform-id (from device properties) and both agdpmod and shikigva from boot arguments in config.plist. Just give it a go.

After 10 years of tinkering with Hackintoshes, I dare to say, it's the best one yet!
I wonder if there’s a particular platform id we, the community, haven’t thought of that would enable DRM support on the iGpu.

I have a very nice system, as it's the Z490 Vision D with a Radeon VII via DP to my 4K Samsung. Really like the Sabrent M.2 drives as they are working great! My only issue and why I am asking for help is literally everything works except Apple TV playback? I have an extensive collection that I use the Apple TV app for and it downloads from Apple just fine, acts like all is well, until I try to watch something. I have wondered if it's the monitor but it did work in Catalina with my old Z390 and the Rdeon VII in that version. It's just my 11.0.1 system. As I have followed the guide in setting this system up and re-checked.

The symptoms are the window opens for movie, but then it disappears after a few seconds. shikigva=16 in past when I was using clover fixed this problem. Not sure with OC. Any ideas?
I’ve tried to play a movie on my Mac Mini server using AppleTV app and it brings up a viewer window but says that movie can only be played on displays that support HDCP. Mini uses DP to a Dell monitor. I tried on Hackintosh and had same symptoms as you describe. Both of my displays are connected via Display Port (does it support HDCP, not sure) and both displays are Dell (don’t know if the monitors supports HDCP either). But maybe that is the reason.

Edit: I’ve found out that DP does support HDCP, but I tried an HDMI cable and changed inputs on Hackintosh. Still the movie doesn’t play. I suspect that my monitors don’t support HDCP and that is the cause of the problem I’m seeing. Perhaps it is your issue also?

Edit: Neither of my monitors Specs show that they support HDCP. There are Dell monitors that do, but neither of mine do apparently.

Final Edit: Hooked Hackintosh to my Visio TV via HDMI and disconnected DP cable. Still doesn’t work. Maybe my Sapphire RTX 5700 Nitro+ graphics card? Oh well, sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Last edited:
I finished installing Big Sur, and it's working well with onboard WiFi and Bluetooth drivers. Airdrop not working but I think that's normal when using the onboard card.

The OS is on an SSD drive, and I also installed 2 regular SATA 3.5 inch drives. I was trying to set up RAID 1 with the two SATA drives, but, for what I can see from the motherboard manual, I would need to change the SATA controller to Intel Optane instead of AHCI if I want to run RAID.

But:

In Windows, do not install Intel Optane drivers (which are part of Intel Rapid Storage). These drivers can change BIOS SATA port configuration from AHCI to Intel Optane. macOS requires "AHCI".

So, basically, I cannot set up a RAID with the motherboard BIOS?

I finished installing Big Sur, and it's working well with onboard WiFi and Bluetooth drivers. Airdrop not working but I think that's normal when using the onboard card.

The OS is on an SSD drive, and I also installed 2 regular SATA 3.5 inch drives. I was trying to set up RAID 1 with the two SATA drives, but, for what I can see from the motherboard manual, I would need to change the SATA controller to Intel Optane instead of AHCI if I want to run RAID.

But:

In Windows, do not install Intel Optane drivers (which are part of Intel Rapid Storage). These drivers can change BIOS SATA port configuration from AHCI to Intel Optane. macOS requires "AHCI".

So, basically, I cannot set up a RAID with the motherboard BIOS?
As far as I know Intel Optane is used to cache drives either in normal and RAID mode. You should be able to setup RAID using in AHCI SATA mode. Look once again into the manual - 3-1 Configuring SATA Controllers - (Note 1) Skip this step if you do not want to create RAID array on the SATA controller.

Thanks a lot @bider. :)

On page 63 of the manual, it says to:

a) install SATA drives
b) configure SATA controller
c) configure RAID array
d) install RAID/AHCI operating system

OK for installing the drives.

For step B, the first thing the manual talks about is to use the inlet RST Premium with Optane acceleration, save settings and restart.

Everything else comes after, my understanding, which is why I am confused. :D

I’ve tried to play a movie on my Mac Mini server using AppleTV app and it brings up a viewer window but says that movie can only be played on displays that support HDCP. Mini uses DP to a Dell monitor. I tried on Hackintosh and had same symptoms as you describe. Both of my displays are connected via Display Port (does it support HDCP, not sure) and both displays are Dell (don’t know if the monitors supports HDCP either). But maybe that is the reason.

Edit: I’ve found out that DP does support HDCP, but I tried an HDMI cable and changed inputs on Hackintosh. Still the movie doesn’t play. I suspect that my monitors don’t support HDCP and that is the cause of the problem I’m seeing. Perhaps it is your issue also?

Edit: Neither of my monitors Specs show that they support HDCP. There are Dell monitors that do, but neither of mine do apparently.

Final Edit: Hooked Hackintosh to my Visio TV via HDMI and disconnected DP cable. Still doesn’t work. Maybe my Sapphire RTX 5700 Nitro+ graphics card? Oh well, sorry I couldn’t be more help.
"Just like DVI and HDMI, DisplayPort supports HDCP content protection. DisplayPort 1.4a supports the latest HDCP 2.2 content protection that is required for the latest premium AV contents." From the DisplayPort.org FAQ.

Lilu user space patching is still broken so any drm fixes that Whatevergreen does (Weg depends on Lilu) are broken - if you want DRM, you'll want to use a MacPro SMBIOS so that it'll use the dGPU rather than the iGPU for drm.

Very interesting, which MacPro SMBIOS do you use?

Back