Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi all and @CaseySJ ,

Just moved to 11.1 Beta (20C5061b) with success (OC0.63)
Although there is no link I, by chance, noticed that the fans bringing air inside the case are no longer working. Fancy lights are on, so I suppose it's not an electric supply issue.
Thr fan bringing air outside the case is working properly.
If I remember well the fans are controlled by the bios/OSX.
What could be the issue? How to solve it out?
Temperatures seems so foar to be ok.
Thanks in advance !

Got my 10900k at 5.1Ghz under water 24/7 stable @ 1.35v LLC set to 'extreme'. Under heavy load it reaches 69c so yes its definitely worth getting decent cooling! Was getting all sorts of weirdness in Catalina when my overclock wasnt stable so its crucial to stress test and benchmark the system till its good.

Anyone know if theres any risk me nuking my Win 10 install with Steam OS on a separate drive to OS X? Its really difficult to physically remove my Catalina drive as its an NVME screwed into the Vision G mobo directly (and theres watercooling loops in the way lol!).

Q. Is it safe to install Steam OS on a separate drive to OS X without physically removing the OS X drive? Will it mess with Opencore/Catalina? I'm so SICK of windows!
Hi there, would you be kind enough to share your BIOS settings for the overclocking? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all and @CaseySJ ,

Just moved to 11.1 Beta (20C5061b) with success (OC0.63)
Although there is no link I, by chance, noticed that the fans bringing air inside the case are no longer working. Fancy lights are on, so I suppose it's not an electric supply issue.
Thr fan bringing air outside the case is working properly.
If I remember well the fans are controlled by the bios/OSX.
What could be the issue? How to solve it out?
Temperatures seems so foar to be ok.
Thanks in advance !
Hello @DominiqueGormand
  • Do the intake fans work in BIOS and OpenCore?
  • But they stop spinning as soon as macOS boots up?
  • However, the exhaust fans are working properly?

Hi :)
I just restarted the Hack.
From the beginning the intake fans are not working, although there leds are on.
I did not neither move the machine nor touch anything inside.
What would you suggest?

Hi :)
I just restarted the Hack.
From the beginning the intake fans are not working, although there leds are on.
I did not neither move the machine nor touch anything inside.
What would you suggest?
Please check fan connections. If you're using a fan hub, check it as well. Also check BIOS Setup --> Smart Fan to see if the fan curves are set properly. If in doubt, set each fan to "Normal" or "Silent". Please refer to motherboard owner's manual for help if needed, but the Smart Fan page is self-explanatory.

@CaseySJ hey dude, coming back after some testing on the black screen issue I had.

So it happens both using 2 monitors and also when only using 1 monitor. It's random, the screens go black, I still hear the audio (music playing) for 1/2 seconds and then it's gone, the computer crashes (caps lock led on the keyboard won't go on or off when clicked). But it doesn't cause a reboot or error. When I boot back on I don't get that error message.

I tried to let the computer sit for 30 min when this issue happens (instead of hard reboot on the button, hoping for a kernel panic and some logs, but nothing). This is the logs I have before the crash:

Crashed at around 10:24. Then at 10:40 I gave up on a self reboot and did a hard reboot on the button.

Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 11.02.52.png

I have a very nice system, as it's the Z490 Vision D with a Radeon VII via DP to my 4K Samsung. Really like the Sabrent M.2 drives as they are working great! My only issue and why I am asking for help is literally everything works except Apple TV playback? I have an extensive collection that I use the Apple TV app for and it downloads from Apple just fine, acts like all is well, until I try to watch something. I have wondered if it's the monitor but it did work in Catalina with my old Z390 and the Rdeon VII in that version. It's just my 11.0.1 system. As I have followed the guide in setting this system up and re-checked.

The symptoms are the window opens for movie, but then it disappears after a few seconds. shikigva=16 in past when I was using clover fixed this problem. Not sure with OC. Any ideas?

Attachments

• William’s iMac.ioreg
    7.3 MB · Views: 42
I have a very nice system, as it's the Z490 Vision D with a Radeon VII via DP to my 4K Samsung. Really like the Sabrent M.2 drives as they are working great! My only issue and why I am asking for help is literally everything works except Apple TV playback? I have an extensive collection that I use the Apple TV app for and it downloads from Apple just fine, acts like all is well, until I try to watch something. I have wondered if it's the monitor but it did work in Catalina with my old Z390 and the Rdeon VII in that version. It's just my 11.0.1 system. As I have followed the guide in setting this system up and re-checked.

The symptoms are the window opens for movie, but then it disappears after a few seconds. shikigva=16 in past when I was using clover fixed this problem. Not sure with OC. Any ideas?
I'm experiencing the same problem on my Z490 Vision D, but not on my B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen CPU). OpenCore 0.6.4 should be released very soon along with a newer version of WhateverGreen, so let's try again after that. As usual, I'll create an OpenCore 0.6.4 Mini-Guide.

Lilu user space patching is still broken so any drm fixes that Whatevergreen does (Weg depends on Lilu) are broken - if you want DRM, you'll want to use a MacPro SMBIOS so that it'll use the dGPU rather than the iGPU for drm.

Last edited:
Back