Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I use ArqBackup to backup all of my Macs' Home directories offsite to Wasabi. Arq would not initialize when I switched from iMac19,1 to iMac20,2. I'm out of town and cannot absolutely verify this until I return home, but the error from Arq was "2020-09-26 18:18:44.317 ArqAgent[1413:20569] initialization error: incorrect password" and the backup is encrypted to Wasabi. So far that is the only thing I had problems with when I switched and I suspect that the lack of T2 is the problem. Arq was working fine at iMac19,1.

Also note that after I switched, I reinstalled Mac OS 10.15.7 because I don't know if there are differences in OS due to model of machine.

Rand
I'm having the same issue with Arq on my iHack. Not sure when it started, may have been after recent update to 10.15.7. Tried re-installing latest version of Arq, no luck. Were you able to resolve?

CCC beta is working well. I successfully cloned my MacBooks Big Sur partition to a Thunderbolt NVMe. It boots just fine.

Thank you for your hard work and perfect efi.
I bought the similar hardwares several days ago: z490 vision d, 10900k, fenvi t919. But I have no graphic card, which means i use uhd630. I use the latest efi+opencore(0.6.3)+catalina(10.15.7). I connect TB3 to monitor(dp) via a thunderbolt-dp cable, but no audio. I try to use hdmi to hdmi cable, still no audio is found. My monitor is Dell s3221qs, which has speakers.
How to fix dp/hdmi audio issue? thank you so much!

Update with an update of the beta version (b3)

I backed up with the beta version this morning, and it did backup the bootable file version, and it booted fine.
This is a relief to me as the changes in 11.01 were many, and the basic requirements like a backup are critical to me.

CCC beta is working well. I successfully cloned my MacBooks Big Sur partition to a Thunderbolt NVMe. It boots just fine.
CCC Beta appears to be creating full backups each time, using APFS Replicator. This is very time consuming as opposed to incremental backups (i.e. backing up only the changes).

Is this happening for you too?

CCC Beta appears to be creating full backups each time, using APFS Replicator. This is very time consuming as opposed to incremental backups (i.e. backing up only the changes).

Is this happening for you too?
Yes it did, and I was so happy to get a backup that I overlooked that. Hopefully when CC gets out of beta, that gets fixed.

As a continuation of Process of Elimination, let's now avoid using Safari for a few days.

Because your CPU lacks an iGPU, are you using iMacPro1,1 or another Intel Xeon-based sysdef?

Update: The screenshots show you're using iMac20,2. Please try switching to iMacPro1,1 for a few days and disable the Device Property for iGPU as shown:

View attachment 494019
Thanks @CaseySJ

I got the iMacPro 1,1 working on my backup drive after I changed the Boot order. I wasn't brave enough to sign in
to iCloud but I used Safari. It crashed once and the crash report looked similar to what I've seen with iMac20,2.
I didn't do an extensive test but it seems better with iMacPro1,1, the downside is the computer went to sleep and
wasn't responding anymore. USB didn't work, screen was turning on and off, all kinds of strange things going on.

I'm about ready to surrender and just live with the fact that I have to run Logic Pro at all times so that the computer
doesn't crash, everything else works great.
Is there something else I can try with iMac20,2? Take out Fenvi T919 card or using a newer OpenCore version (I use 0.61).

Thanks @CaseySJ

I got the iMacPro 1,1 working on my backup drive after I changed the Boot order. I wasn't brave enough to sign in
to iCloud but I used Safari. It crashed once and the crash report looked similar to what I've seen with iMac20,2.
I didn't do an extensive test but it seems better with iMacPro1,1, the downside is the computer went to sleep and
wasn't responding anymore. USB didn't work, screen was turning on and off, all kinds of strange things going on.

I'm about ready to surrender and just live with the fact that I have to run Logic Pro at all times so that the computer
doesn't crash, everything else works great.
Is there something else I can try with iMac20,2? Take out Fenvi T919 card or using a newer OpenCore version (I use 0.61).
It's generally a good idea to use the latest version of OpenCore, which is currently at 0.6.3. The mini-guide for this is located here. It's also a good idea to (a) disconnect the Bluetooth cable from the internal USB 2 header and see if it makes a difference, and (b) remove the entire Fenvi FV-T919.

A fresh installation on a spare SSD is also recommended (not sure if you already tried that).

Last edited:
Thank you for your hard work and perfect efi.
I bought the similar hardwares several days ago: z490 vision d, 10900k, fenvi t919. But I have no graphic card, which means i use uhd630. I use the latest efi+opencore(0.6.3)+catalina(10.15.7). I connect TB3 to monitor(dp) via a thunderbolt-dp cable, but no audio. I try to use hdmi to hdmi cable, still no audio is found. My monitor is Dell s3221qs, which has speakers.
How to fix dp/hdmi audio issue? thank you so much!
Hello @jerrium,

The Dell S3221QS is not a Thunderbolt monitor -- it is a standard 4K HDMI/DisplayPort monitor. You are most likely using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

Please go to System Preferences --> Sound and check the following:
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 3.16.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 3.15.05 PM.png

• Sound Effects -- Selected sound output device
  • Output -- Choose your Dell monitor from this list
Does your Dell monitor appear in the Output list?

CaseySJ:

So, I got my Z490 10850 build pretty much done, thanks to your great work!! :headbang::headbang::headbang: Really like the board, especially with the F5 version of the bios!

Catalina is working just fine (with one caveat listed below) and so is Big Sur, as is Windows and Ubuntu. The only one I had to reinstall was Big Sur, but I just installed over the top (with a USB macOS install disk) and it was done and over fairly quickly. But Ubuntu, just so easy. New processor? No problem, booted right up, added some updates, no problem....If only Ubuntu could run Rosetta2.....and no luck on Mojave so far, but I think I'm going to try building a VM and see if I can make that work.

I do have one issue, however. Catalina does not want to shut down. No matter how I do it, keyboard or using the menu choices, it just won't shut down - it just sits there. I did some searching this thread and others, but didn't come up with much. I already tried changing energy settings and adjusting pmset with no change. On the other hand, Big Sur has no problems shutting down, nor does Windows or Ubuntu...

Any quick thoughts? Things to try?

Thanks for the great work on this build!

Last edited:
Back