Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I also had this issue. I have Apple Broadcom WIFI/Bluetooth card connected by PCIE adapter (bluetooth connected to internal usb header). Every time I put my computer to sleep, it would wake up after few seconds. Disabling USBWakeFixup.kext and SSDT-USBW.aml in config.plist solved the issue. Also, what is interesting, I'm able to wake my computer with mouse or keyboard without those patches. To achieve that I had to turn off XMP in bios and set maximum memory frequency to 2666MHz (max found on any apple hardware), but with slightly faster timings.

So long story short:
- disable USBWakeFixup.kext
- disable SSDT-USBW.aml
- turn off XMP
- set memory to 2666Mhz
Oh, yes! I’ve actually done all those things as well!

CaseySJ (or anyone who knows):

I am struggling a little with where to put my NVMe drive. Each of the three slots present a problem, but it appears as if the M2A_CPU slot is the best. M2M_SB costs two SATA ports, so that's out, and M2P_SB shares bandwidth with PCIe x4 so that doesn't seem to be the best choice of the three NVMe slots available on this board.

The problem there is that slot (M2A_CPU), if used and if a Graphics Card is plugged in the only PCIEX_16 slot on the board, well, then that would limit the airflow a lot over that NVMe drive in the M2A_CPU slot. I have a pretty large NVMe cooler and I'm not sure it would fit if I went with this scenario for the installation location using M2A_CPU.

However, I'm thinking that the instant you plug in any other PCIe card, an x4 or an x8, you've automatically limited your Graphics Card to x8 instead of x16, so maybe if someone like me wants to use the M2A_CPU slot and then plug the Graphics Card into the only PCIe x8 slot on the board, well then it wouldn't make much difference anyway. Performance wise, I've heard that a graphics card running at x8 doesn't have a lot of performance loss anyway - some, but not as much as one would think.

Is there a problem with my logic here or not? Kind of curious as to what NVMe slots you and/or other folks have used...
Perhaps try the NVMe in the slot under the x16 slot, and monitor the NVMe temps with the gfx card in the x16 slot. Then the x8 slot? Maybe that will help decide which compromise will reap the most benefit?

CaseySJ (or anyone who knows):

I am struggling a little with where to put my NVMe drive. Each of the three slots present a problem, but it appears as if the M2A_CPU slot is the best. M2M_SB costs two SATA ports, so that's out, and M2P_SB shares bandwidth with PCIe x4 so that doesn't seem to be the best choice of the three NVMe slots available on this board.

The problem there is that slot (M2A_CPU), if used and if a Graphics Card is plugged in the only PCIEX_16 slot on the board, well, then that would limit the airflow a lot over that NVMe drive in the M2A_CPU slot. I have a pretty large NVMe cooler and I'm not sure it would fit if I went with this scenario for the installation location using M2A_CPU.

However, I'm thinking that the instant you plug in any other PCIe card, an x4 or an x8, you've automatically limited your Graphics Card to x8 instead of x16, so maybe if someone like me wants to use the M2A_CPU slot and then plug the Graphics Card into the only PCIe x8 slot on the board, well then it wouldn't make much difference anyway. Performance wise, I've heard that a graphics card running at x8 doesn't have a lot of performance loss anyway - some, but not as much as one would think.

Is there a problem with my logic here or not? Kind of curious as to what NVMe slots you and/or other folks have used...
Your analysis is spot on:
  • Plugging a GPU into either Slot 1 by itself (x16) or Slot 2 (x8) does not diminish its performance in any practical way. Only "spec lords" would notice the difference.
  • Installing your NVMe SSD into the top slot (M2A_CPU) gives you maximum flexibility with regard to SATA slots.

I also had this issue. I have Apple Broadcom WIFI/Bluetooth card connected by PCIE adapter (bluetooth connected to internal usb header). Every time I put my computer to sleep, it would wake up after few seconds. Disabling USBWakeFixup.kext and SSDT-USBW.aml in config.plist solved the issue. Also, what is interesting, I'm able to wake my computer with mouse or keyboard without those patches. To achieve that I had to turn off XMP in bios and set maximum memory frequency to 2666MHz (max found on any apple hardware), but with slightly faster timings.

So long story short:
- disable USBWakeFixup.kext
- disable SSDT-USBW.aml
- turn off XMP
- set memory to 2666Mhz
Thanks for the suggestions Bider. I've now tried your suggestions and alas it didn't work.

I've ordered Fenvi card which should be here on Monday, we'll see if that makes any difference.

One other questions has occurre to me. I haven't connected power to the optional additional pcie power ports on the bottom right of the motherboard? Has anyone else? I can't see how this should make a difference here but who knows?

Thanks for the suggestions Bider. I've now tried your suggestions and alas it didn't work.

I've ordered Fenvi card which should be here on Monday, we'll see if that makes any difference.

One other questions has occurre to me. I haven't connected power to the optional additional pcie power ports on the bottom right of the motherboard? Has anyone else? I can't see how this should make a difference here but who knows?
That extra PCIe power connector is typically used when two or more GPUs are installed, but there's no harm in trying.

HI,
I have run into a little problem recently on the Z490 vision D : my ventirad has two fans connected to the MB with a Y cable. For no reason, one of them stops spinning after one hour or two. When I disconnect it and reconnect it, it spins again and never stops again. Has anybody experienced the same problem? Does anybody think it has to do with the voltage, the MB, the connector, the cable?

@CaseySJ I am curious about how you have your hard drives setup? I say your post boy installing macOS 11.01 and that you name your disk "StartUp Disk" and that got me thinking, do you keep a smaller file system for the OS for startup only? Or why is your file system divided the way it is?

@CaseySJ I am curious about how you have your hard drives setup? I say your post boy installing macOS 11.01 and that you name your disk "StartUp Disk" and that got me thinking, do you keep a smaller file system for the OS for startup only? Or why is your file system divided the way it is?
My startup disk is named Big Sur. On my primary system (Z390 Designare) the System and Home folders are on separate SSDs. This allows me to easily back up the System folder onto a relatively small and cheap 256GB SATA SSD (using Carbon Copy Cloner) while the much much larger Home folder gets backed up to my 24TB NAS drive (using Acronis True Image).

My startup disk is named Big Sur. On my primary system (Z390 Designare) the System and Home folders are on separate SSDs. This allows me to easily back up the System folder onto a relatively small and cheap 256GB SATA SSD (using Carbon Copy Cloner) while the much much larger Home folder gets backed up to my 24TB NAS drive (using Acronis True Image).
Sounds like a very reliable way to segment partitions. May I ask what your NAS consists of?

Back