Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

When it loaded it still was iMac20,2 with the same serial number. How is that possible? I checked the config.plist again and it was iMacPro 1,1. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?
This suggests that macOS may have booted from the wrong SSD. To be sure, press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen and select the internal macOS SSD. Also check the Boot Order in BIOS Setup --> Boot.

I'm getting ready to prep my current Catalina build for a Big Sur installation a few weeks after the official release of the new OS tomorrow. I plan to do this by making a bootable backup of my current deployment, testing the backup, and then wiping my main boot disk clean and installing Big Sur as a ground-up fresh installation. I will be using a new serial number and installing all applications as "new" deployments -- I made the mistake of doing a Migration Assistant transfer from my prior mackintosh for my Catalina deployment on this build, and it created some random crashing I'm looking to avoid with a ground-up build.

With all that said, I do have a question for which I'd appreciate guidance -- should I continue to use my Fenvi WiFi/BT card, or should I move over to the on-board Intel AX201 WiFi/BT module with the OpenIntelWireless driver? My primary network connection is Gigabit Ethernet...I use the WiFi/BT connections only for things like Continuity and Handoff which are pretty important for me. But I suspect that the problems I've had in getting my Apple BT keyboard and trackpad to work well in EFI and OpenCore as well as my dual-boot Windows environment (used pretty sparingly, I admit) are because they are paired to the Fenvi card and not to motherboard-native hardware.

Continuing to use the Fenvi card (which seems to work just fine for both WiFi and BT, aside from complaining that my Apple Watch is frequently too far from the computer to enable auto-unlock) is certainly fine with me...I just wonder if I might need to disable the on-board Intel card under Windows and force that OS to use the Fenvi card as well to better enable use of the BT keyboard and trackpad.

Advice welcomed -- and again, HUGE thanks to @CaseySJ for this guide and the continued support!

@CaseySJ
Just saw your mini guide update for Big Sur.
Fine for me since the beginning, but I followed step by step your procedure :)
Just wanna rise this bad news for some users. are you aware of it: Feel free to remove if no concern for us ;-)
"MacOS 11.0.1 release candidate 2 poses serious installation issues for developers who update their Macs from Catalina; a priori, no problem for those who have installed this rc2 from the rc1. The testimonies are piling up on the Apple developers forum, or here for example. Apple apparently forgot to distribute the new version of bridgeOS, the firmware of the T2 chip: on an old version of macOS, the version of bridgeOS is outdated, which causes an error during installation."
Thanks for the warning, which affects real Macs. Because Hackintosh does not have T2 chip, we are immune to this issue.

However, everyone should wait for the official Big Sur release on November 12 (tomorrow).

Yes, I have OC 0.6.3 on my system, I have included my EFI folder, the only things I have removed are my RealtekRTL8111.kext for my extra nic card, system details - just add yours like you would with CaseySJ OpenCore updates and I have added agdpmod=pikera for your graphics card.

Hey man I've just tried your EFI after copying my serials across...

Unfortunately, the computer on boot doesn't even show Opencore at all and boots Windows straight away...

Am I doing something stupid?

I'm getting ready to prep my current Catalina build for a Big Sur installation a few weeks after the official release of the new OS tomorrow. I plan to do this by making a bootable backup of my current deployment, testing the backup, and then wiping my main boot disk clean and installing Big Sur as a ground-up fresh installation. I will be using a new serial number and installing all applications as "new" deployments -- I made the mistake of doing a Migration Assistant transfer from my prior mackintosh for my Catalina deployment on this build, and it created some random crashing I'm looking to avoid with a ground-up build.
Good plan!

With all that said, I do have a question for which I'd appreciate guidance -- should I continue to use my Fenvi WiFi/BT card, or should I move over to the on-board Intel AX201 WiFi/BT module with the OpenIntelWireless driver? My primary network connection is Gigabit Ethernet...I use the WiFi/BT connections only for things like Continuity and Handoff which are pretty important for me. But I suspect that the problems I've had in getting my Apple BT keyboard and trackpad to work well in EFI and OpenCore as well as my dual-boot Windows environment (used pretty sparingly, I admit) are because they are paired to the Fenvi card and not to motherboard-native hardware.
The OpenIntelWireless drivers are getting better, but they still have serious limitations. WiFi is limited to 802.11n (WiFi 4), WiFi connectivity is unstable after wake-from-sleep, we need to change SecureBootModel to Default, which interferes with Big Sur updates (we have to remember to change this to Disabled whenever updating the O/S), etc.

Continuing to use the Fenvi card (which seems to work just fine for both WiFi and BT, aside from complaining that my Apple Watch is frequently too far from the computer to enable auto-unlock) is certainly fine with me...I just wonder if I might need to disable the on-board Intel card under Windows and force that OS to use the Fenvi card as well to better enable use of the BT keyboard and trackpad.
At this time, the Fenvi (and its variants) is still the best option for WiFi and Bluetooth on a Hackintosh.

Unfortunately, the computer on boot doesn't even show Opencore at all and boots Windows straight away...

The Boot Order in BIOS has changed. Please check BIOS Setup --> Boot. The first boot priority has most likely changed to Windows.

I agree with @CaseySJ Make sure your mac os drive is the first boot drive in BIOS or use F12 on power up to manually select your mac os drive to see if goes into opencore.

Also make sure that the EFI folder in your EFI partition is called EFI, I have made the mistake of messing around with the folder once when tyring different options and it got renamed to EFi and would not boot up.

I agree with @CaseySJ Make sure your mac os drive is the first boot drive in BIOS or use F12 on power up to manually select your mac os drive to see if goes into opencore.

Also make sure that the EFI folder in your EFI partition is called EFI, I have made the mistake of messing around with the folder once when tyring different options and it got renamed to EFi and would not boot up.
Ha! Yes, I'm an idiot - checked my EFI folder and there was an extra folder called EFI inside the EFI folder! I'm typing this now from your 0.6.3 EFI folder but with my serials pulled across.

Did you mention I needed to change something on the config.plist?

Loaded into LPX to work on some music and I swear the whole system feels better. Might be my imagination but LPX seems a lot smoother generally (and I spend all my working life sat in front of it!). Less glitches (not to say it was particularly bad before mind).

Thank you!

Last edited:

Advice welcomed -- and again, HUGE thanks to @CaseySJ for this guide and the continued support!

I use the Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad on a dual boot Windows10/Catalina system and have paired them with the Fenvi in MacOS and the onboard Intel in Windows. It works great. They both work in BIOS and OpenCore GUI Picker too. The trick to having them paired in both OS is using a kind of convoluted method where you pair them in Windows with the Intel, then pair them in MacOS with the Fenvi, taking note of the bluetooth link key, then going BACK to Windows and editing their registry entries to the same key. This enables them to be paired in both OS. The only downside I have come across is that when you plug either in to charge, the bluetooth link key is reset, so I tend to charge them overnight when needed, with the computer off - In the morning they are fully charged, and the link key stays intact.

@CaseySJ what is the right value of Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel to install big sur?
is it default or disabled ? I remember when this tag was introduced, it was set to default in teh config.plist but that prevented me to boot and I changed it to disabled and it is still set to disabled in my config.plist despite updating OC a few times. Just making sure that I set it to the right value before updating to big sur.

Last edited:
Back