Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Tons of great info in there @CaseySJ ill try some of the fun with icons and the picker a bit later.

Here is my NVMe temp info:
View attachment 488062
Machines been on for a couple hours. They are at least 10C cooler than the WDBlack.
Good to know!
I added this line to the "Misc" "Entries" in OCC
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1B,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,28-7F-71-71-35-A7-79-64)/HD(1,GPT,D111432F-063E-4133-BAF7-1D8B0D1567CE,0x800,0x100000) /\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

I used this tutorial to do this:
That's a good tutorial, but alas it generates extra icons in OpenCore?
Mice!
Im terrified of using anything bluetooth. So much lag. I gotta have a wire. Ill look at Logitech's wired mice ;)
Logitech uses their own RF protocol, which is not Bluetooth. They also have Logitech Options for Mac (free software download) that allows the special keys and buttons on their devices to be remapped.

I'm expecting my new Logitech MX Master 3 Mouse for Mac to arrive soon. It has the astounding ability to travel across the screen all the way to the screen of another computer. Think of a multi-monitor setup in which the mouse seamlessly moves from one screen to the next, but now imagine that each screen is connected to a different computer. The computer can be macOS, Windows, or Linux. True mouse sharing.

I've never tried this feature before so I'm not sure how well it works, but I'm intrigued...

This totally works :) I now have a fancy icon for my Linux Partition and it boots :) I havn't taken up the task of removing the auto entries just yet. My brain is fried... Gonna step away for a few.
By the way, we can press F10 at the OpenCore picker to capture a screenshot. A little green square will flash in the upper left corner of the screen while the image is being saved to EFI partition (same partition as OpenCore itself).

When you say Linux boots, are you saying that the standard auto-detected disk icon for Linux is booting now without any changes made to the Misc --> Entries section of config.plist?

The tutorial is not adding the extra drive. OpenCore is auto populating the Linux drive in the picker. Unfortunately what it's doing wont boot. The manual entry from the above tutorial adds a new drive. One that works and boots Linux. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the auto populating drives... For instance, my carbon copy cloner backup "EFI" is now showing up too. I didn't add it... Its just there with no way to get rid of in the OC Picker...

By the way, we can press F10 at the OpenCore picker to capture a screenshot. A little green square will flash in the upper left corner of the screen while the image is being saved to EFI partition (same partition as OpenCore itself).

When you say Linux boots, are you saying that the standard auto-detected disk icon for Linux is booting now without any changes made to the Misc --> Entries section of config.plist?
This is a great trick! here is a visual to go with the last post:
13222429.png

Also... The new mouse you are gonna get sounds awesome!!!

Good to know!

Logitech uses their own RF protocol, which is not Bluetooth. They also have Logitech Options for Mac (free software download) that allows the special keys and buttons on their devices to be remapped.

I'm expecting my new Logitech MX Master 3 Mouse for Mac to arrive soon. It has the astounding ability to travel across the screen all the way to the screen of another computer. Think of a multi-monitor setup in which the mouse seamlessly moves from one screen to the next, but now imagine that each screen is connected to a different computer. The computer can be macOS, Windows, or Linux. True mouse sharing.

I've never tried this feature before so I'm not sure how well it works, but I'm intrigued...

I just recently purchased a M720 mouse from Costco that does the same, up to 3 different computers. Works pretty well for the most part. You can even copy/paste between computers (doesn't seem to work on big files, but works on text files and simple things). There are a few keyboards that do the same and will automatically switch with the mouse. Pretty cool tech!

But I do have lag issues with the mouse on both Mac and Windows. Seems to lose connection for a split second every so often. Logitech forum posts have other people mentioning it. So may be worth checking for firmware updates to the Logitech dongle/mouse and moving the dongle to different USB ports incase of interference if you notice a problem. I haven't solved it on mine yet.

@CaseySJ Thanks again for your continuous support!
I'm getting quite slow speeds on NVMe devices. Just bought a Gen 3x4 drive which is supposed to perform at ~2.5GB/s both read & write (real users tested). But I get 1,700 Mb/s write max. I know it's still quite fast haha, but I work with lots of data (video/audio).

Do you think it has something to do with the hackintosh and can be improved? Thank you!

Last edited:
That is interesting. Gigabyte is using V2 chip now.

Probably related to issues pointed out in the article linked below, though there's reports that the V2 chips are still affected. Supposedly a V3 version is on the way.

@CaseySJ Thanks again for your continuous support!
I'm getting quite slow speeds on NVMe devices. Just bought a Gen 3x4 drive which is supposed to perform at ~2.5GB/s both read & write (real users tested). But I get 1,700 Mb/s write max. I know it's still quite fast haha, but I work with lots of data (video/audio).

Do you think it has something to do with the hackintosh and can be improved? Thank you!

1.7GB/s writes is pretty damn good by any metric. I just now tested a genuine iMac 2015 with a 512GB SSD that cranks 1.5GB/s writes (see screenshot), and it's used for heavy video work. Haven't benched my new Hackintosh yet but I'd be thrilled with what you're getting.

What software are you testing with, and with what settings? Certain methods produce different results. Also, what's the make and model of your drive?

I recommend AJA System Test Lite with the settings in the screenshot below. Run the test five times and take the average.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 1.11.26 AM.png

Good to know!

I used this feature of mouse sharing long time ago. At the time mouse sharing was based on network connectivity. It worked very well and across different OSes.

Back