Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

There is at least one report in this thread about problems with WD SN750 NVMe. The best choice based on real world compatibility and thermals on this system is Sabrent Rocket NVMe. Temperatures of this drive are insanely good while others can be 10 to 25 degrees C warmer.

Before considering a return or exchange, please check that SATA drives are only using three non-restricted ports. The table in Post 1, Step 5 has this information.

Just want to make sure I get the right drive this time around. Which NVME from Sabrent are you recommending. Amazon shows me three different ones under the Rocket Name:

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TLYWMYW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-1TB)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGF54XR/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive R/W 3200/2000MB/s (SB-RKTQ-1TB)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZYWTBP/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks @CaseySJ !

Hi,

I have updated OpenCore from v0.6.0 to v0.6.1 but Hackintool tells me that I'm still on v0.6.0.

Any ideas what I may have done wrong?
Mine says 0.6.1.

What steps did you take to perform the update?
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 4.18.02 PM.png

Just want to make sure I get the right drive this time around. Which NVME from Sabrent are you recommending. Amazon shows me three different ones under the Rocket Name:

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TLYWMYW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
This is a PCIe 4.0 drive, which is nice but will operate at PCIe 3.0 speeds until Rocket Lake CPUs are released. We can skip this for now. Next gen PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs will arrive with faster controllers that can reach 7000+ MB/s.
Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-1TB)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGF54XR/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
I have this drive in 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB versions. They work quite well.
Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive R/W 3200/2000MB/s (SB-RKTQ-1TB)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZYWTBP/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
This is a quad-level NAND cell device that has higher memory density, but a bit slower read/write speeds. QLC SSDs are still more than fast enough, but I personally have not used this model.

Having said this, I am not guaranteeing that switching to Sabrent Rocket will fix the problem. I have, however, tested my own Z490 Vision D with two Silicon Power and one Sabrent Rocket installed at the same time (hence all 3 slots occupied). There was no problem whatsoever.

This is a PCIe 4.0 drive, which is nice but will operate at PCIe 3.0 speeds until Rocket Lake CPUs are released. We can skip this for now. Next gen PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs will arrive with faster controllers that can reach 7000+ MB/s.

I have this drive in 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB versions. They work quite well.

This is a quad-level NAND cell device that has higher memory density, but a bit slower read/write speeds. QLC SSDs are still more than fast enough, but I personally have not used this model.

Having said this, I am not guaranteeing that switching to Sabrent Rocket will fix the problem. I have, however, tested my own Z490 Vision D with two Silicon Power and one Sabrent Rocket installed at the same time (hence all 3 slots occupied). There was no problem whatsoever.

Thanks so much for the great explanation @CaseySJ. I've been able to get the machine to boot with two NVMe drives now, and I have an email out to Gigabyte support. For some reason the center port will not allow the machine to POST. I've already started the RMA process on the other two drives. So depending on what Gigabyte tells me, I'll prob swap to Sabrent Rockets. Getting temps down 15 to 20C seems like a plus either way in my book.

Thanks again for everything. I'm relatively new to Hackintosh. One day I'll try to do all this from scratch, but this has been a huge help in getting my feet wet!!!

Not sure who’ll be first. Mine arrives in 5 days. :)
I still need to conquer OC for my exiting system. I guess I'm looking for help with that before I start the Vision D system.

My W480 Vision-D and Xeon W-1290P arrived today, so I guess it's time to see just how similar it is to the Z490 Vision-D and if CaseySJ's recipe works the same for this board. Any bets on if I strike it lucky and everything just works?

As expected, everything appears exactly identical to the Z490 aside from some cosmetic bits and the larger SSD heat spreader. I've updated the BIOS to version F3, which appears equivalent if not identical to the Z490's F5 BIOS and matches menu for menu with CaseySJ's screenshots. If there's anything anyone wants me to check or take pictures of, let me know.

I'll be putting 64GB of ECC DDR4-2933 in it, but that's on backorder so for now I have a pair of non-ECC 8GB DDR4-3000 chips just to get started. I'm going to spend most of tomorrow installing Windows on the primary SSD first just to get that settled in, but I'll start diving into installing macOS onto the secondary SSD on Monday.

Wonder if I should do a separate thread...

With the new 0.6.1 on last west Big Sur, using my method with iGPU as primary, for some reason now Radeon is showing first on the GPU list and rendering again. So slow in any combination even without igpu and with 1.1 20.1 20.2.

So what I did is I just replaced all kext with the old ones and specially WEG 1.39, and now it is working again still slower a bit for rendering on 20.2 vs 1.1.

3:14 vs 2:38 for 8 min 4k in h264 but sidecar works on 20.2.

If you go with default options here and you have Vega or Radeon VII, you will end with 2 to 3 times slower rendering in the final cut for H264.

I think latest WEG is doing something for rendering in final cut at least for Vega 56 and Radeon V.II

Last edited:
Mine says 0.6.1.

What steps did you take to perform the update?
View attachment 487750

I thought I followed your instructions to the word Including an NVRAM reset.

I also followed the process twice. Worked fine for me the last time when I upgraded from v0.5.9 to v0.6.0.

Seems a straightforward enough process so not really sure why it hasn't worked for this upgrade.

Last edited:
Thanks CaseySJ for your easy to follow and thorough guide!
Just finished my build and everything seems to work properly. Install was a breeze following this guide.
I don't use sidecar or iMessages so can't comment on those.
This is my third hackintosh build and first time using opencore.

My main use for this build is audio production (mainly mixing & mastering).
This time I wanted build to be as quiet as possible so I took the air cooling route and this thing is almost noiseless!
When idling on desktop or doing some light work this thing doesn't make any noise at all.
I'm dual booting Windows and Catalina but only use Windows for occasional gaming.

My build:
-Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C - Black
-Corsair 750W RM750x
-Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
-Intel Core i9-10900K
-Noctua NH-D15S
-Sapphire Radeon RX 580 PULSE 8GB
-Corsair 32GB (2 x 16GB) Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
-Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SSD sataIII (Audio drive)
-Kingston 500GB A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD (Catalina)
-Kingston 250GB A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD (Catalina backup)
-Kingston 1TB A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD (Windows)
-Fenvi FV-T919
-Wired Apple A1243 keyboard and wired Logitech mouse

Geekbench 5:
Screenshot 2020-09-04 at 18.16.01.png

Back