Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Thanks so much for this guide. Glad to see it's looking very useable!!

Question (while I'm still trying to read through this entire thread)... did the issues with Thunderbolt and UAD Apollos get sorted? Thinking about building a rig but with the i9 for my music studio, so trying to find a build that will let me do that with stability!!

I have had much success with my UAD's over Thunderbolt. Hot plugging just worked straight away. Haven't tried 192k as the highest because I only ever go to 88.2 but really haven't had any problems. Everything just works like its supposed to. Sleep/Wake -I have not really used so I cant really report on that. Honestly, I was surprised how stable everything runs. I was expecting it to be a nightmare to configure and be super buggy as it was my first hackintosh build ever but it really wasn't.

Wonderful. Glad to hear audio guys are having good luck. Will pull the trigger when the i9 becomes in stock again :D

Hello, thanks everyone for such an amazing guide.
I have dual boot installation on two NVMe disks which is working flawlessly, and I would like to have my RAID1 / RST file storage (based on two spinning 2.5 SATA) to be available for both systems. Is there any way to make RAID1 disk available to Catalina?

Thanks
Ok, here you go.

Corsair MP600 NVMe 1tb x2 one for Windows 10 Pro and one for Catalina

Samsung EVO 860 1tb for backup

Fenvi T919 PCI forWiFi and BT

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64gb (4x16gb) 3600MHz

Corsair HX1000i Power Supply

Corsair Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core.

Problems
1) Photos crashes on opening.

2) In System Preferences, Users and Groups, if I try to change the icon associated with my account, I get a 'Preferences Error, There was an error in Users & Groups preferences'.

3) I have managed to turn off Verbose Mode (Reset NVRAM) even though -v was not present in boot-args. Now if I put -v in boot-args, I can not enable Verbose Mode. I used 'V2-OC-0.5.9-STD-Z490-VISION-D.zip' for my installation.
I currently have 'keepsyms=1 dart=0 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigiva=80' in my boot-args.

4) Safari crashes with 'A problem repeatedly occurred with 'https://www.ebay.co.uk' or certain other websites. This does not happen with Chrome. I have tried clearing History, deleting cache, re-installing Java, blocking and unblocking cookies etc but to no avail.
Very good -- some questions:
  • Was Migration Assistant used to transfer files and applications from a previous macOS installation?
  • During Step 4 of the installation process (post #1), which of these files was used as the basis for your config.plist?
    • config-AMD-GPU.plist
    • config-Intel-iGPU.plist
  • Photos app should not crash when the local Photos library is empty, which would be the case on a fresh installation.
  • Changing the icon associated with your account should also be problem free on a fresh installation.
  • Each time we change Boot Arguments (adding -v for example or removing -v), it's necessary to reset NVRAM because OpenCore plays some silly tricks.
  • Regarding Safari, first quit Safari if it's running, then try the following in Terminal:
Bash:
cd ~/Library/Preferences
mv com.apple.Safari.plist ~/Desktop
  • Now launch Safari and visit the problematic sites once again. Any improvement?

Very good -- some questions:
  • Was Migration Assistant used to transfer files and applications from a previous macOS installation?
  • During Step 4 of the installation process (post #1), which of these files was used as the basis for your config.plist?
    • config-AMD-GPU.plist
    • config-Intel-iGPU.plist
  • Photos app should not crash when the local Photos library is empty, which would be the case on a fresh installation.
  • Changing the icon associated with your account should also be problem free on a fresh installation.
  • Each time we change Boot Arguments (adding -v for example or removing -v), it's necessary to reset NVRAM because OpenCore plays some silly tricks.
  • Regarding Safari, first quit Safari if it's running, then try the following in Terminal:
Bash:
cd ~/Library/Preferences
mv com.apple.Safari.plist ~/Desktop
  • Now launch Safari and visit the problematic sites once again. Any improvement?
Thanks for your response.

I did not use Migration Assistant so no old data was carried over yet.

I used ‘config-Intel-iGPU.plist‘ at this stage.

I have not been able to open the Photos App successfully yet even though it was a clean install.

I cannot change the icon for my account and the same thing happens if I create a new account.

I will try resetting NVRAM and the Safari suggestion later when I get home.

All this is a real shame as everything else works great. The installation instructions were super detailed and easy to follow which is a real credit to your efforts. I’m beginning to wonder if a fresh install may be required or I have a hardware incompatibility of some kind.

Hey what happened to my post from earlier that you replied to?

Why was it deleted?

It took me a good 20 minutes to write all of that out and now its gone?

Hi @CaseySJ

I'm installing OC on a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G motherboard with i9 10900 CPU, Bios F6, Sapphire RX5700XT
I've used a couple of different EFIs. I tested yours too.
I've installed MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 without issues BUT after installation once I'm in the OS I get a reboot after 5/20/60 sec no matter what I do.
So basically I login and then shortly after the system reboots.

Do you have ideas how to find the issue?
Thanks for your help.

Hi @CaseySJ

I'm installing OC on a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G motherboard with i9 10900 CPU, Bios F6, Sapphire RX5700XT
I've used a couple of different EFIs. I tested yours too.
I've installed MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 without issues BUT after installation once I'm in the OS I get a reboot after 5/20/60 sec no matter what I do.
So basically I login and then shortly after the system reboots.

Do you have ideas how to find the issue?
Thanks for your help.

Hi zzmadd, I'm running the same specs as you and mine does not exhibit this behaviour. I've found Casey's EFI to be the best for my system. I'm running F6d Bios btw.

A couple of things:

• Is your overclock stable? Try resetting it back to stock clocks/voltages.
  • What memory are you running? Does it pass memtest at rated speeds etc?
  • Have you tried removing USB peripherals and any add-in cards?
Mine is working good apart from the issue I am experiencing with a USB audio interface which I was hoping to get some support from on here (until my post got deleted with no explanation).

Best,

Tom

Hi zzmadd, I'm running the same specs as you and mine does not exhibit this behaviour. I've found Casey's EFI to be the best for my system. I'm running F6d Bios btw.

A couple of things:

• Is your overclock stable? Try resetting it back to stock clocks/voltages.
  • What memory are you running? Does it pass memtest at rated speeds etc?
  • Have you tried removing USB peripherals and any add-in cards?
Mine is working good apart from the issue I am experiencing with a USB audio interface which I was hoping to get some support from on here (until my post got deleted with no explanation).

Best,

Tom
Hi Tom,

thanks for your reply!

• I have no overclock, XMP turned off, everything on stock settings, teste both Bios F6 and F5 same issue.
  • It's GSkill RipJ V, XMP turned off.
  • I tried removing USB drives but not yet WiFi+Bluetooth card.

Any help is welcome.
Thanks.

Hey what happened to my post from earlier that you replied to?

Why was it deleted?

It took me a good 20 minutes to write all of that out and now its gone?
I didn't view the video that you linked, but if it was Technolli or Morganaut or any other YouTuber that charges a fee for Hackintosh-related setups, then that is considered piracy and those posts will be deleted almost immediately.

Back