Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I wish I had those components so I could be more definitive in my answers.

We often ask users to go through a Process of Elimination. This is easier said than done because there can be a lot of variables to consider. Removing the UAD-2 may be helping in the short term, but again it's too soon to tell.

Recommendation:
  • Leave the UAD-2 disconnected for a couple of days if possible.
  • Check if stuttering is really gone.
Next:
  • Reinstall the UAD-2 (always flip power switch on PSU to OFF)
  • Check if stuttering comes back.
  • With all 3 cards installed (GPU, UAD-2, Firewire 800), open BIOS Setup and look at System Info --> Plug in Devices Info. This is the same screen as my previous post.
    • If a USB flash memory stick is inserted (and it has an EFI partition), then pressing F12 in BIOS will save a screenshot into the EFI partition of the USB disk.
    • It will be in BMP format, but can easily be converted to JPEG.
If the system is stutter-free without UAD-2 for two days, then starts to stutter again when UAD-2 is reinstalled, then we have something to go on...

As ever, thank you for your thoughtful and extensive reply Casey.

I removed the UAD-2 card - still got audio stutter on Netflix & Logic Pro X.

Interestingly, I then set the PCIE Bifurcation to 'Auto' (as I'd previously set it to the x8 / x8 / x4) and I've just watched an hour of Justice League without any obvious audio hiccups.

I will do further testing like this to really confirm as suggested and report back but so far removing the card AND setting that setting to auto seems to be playing nice currently.

EDIT: ***OK SO GET THIS!***

Now, FF802 works beautifully over USB?!! I just tried it over USB as a test and Totalmix loads up instantly (like it was over Firewire) and my LPX projects are not behaving weirdly like before.

EDIT 2: I've put UAD-2 card back in and FF802 over USB is STILL working!!

Theres definitely something going on with this bifurcation business. A bug in the firmware like you pointed out earlier perhaps @CaseySJ?

Last edited:
Please do the following:
  • First, set Picker Attributes to 1 as shown:
    View attachment 478137
  • When you save the file and reboot, the OpenCore Picker Menu will display "proper" names for each icon. Press spacebar at the OpenCore Picker and you'll see all the choices available.
  • One of them will be Reset NVRAM. Select that one.
  • If system returns to OpenCore Picker, reboot the machine just to be safe.
  • Then boot macOS in the usual manner.

Thanks again for the help. I just tried this and sadly I still get the same message. Can you suggest any other options? I’m assuming this is a very rare message.

CaseySJ's Comet Lake-S in BeQuiet! Pure Base 500DX:
Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D - i5-10400 - UHD 630 - AMD RX 580

(Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead​

Hi @CaseySJ, I followed your guide to flash the Vision D z490 Thunderbolt 3 Winbond chip using the specified *.bin file. I finally got thunderbolt bus! My thunderbolt device plugged in works. But in System Report (System Profiler) under Thunderbolt Bus information, rather than the two links being set to 40 gbps, it says 20 gbps. Is this normal?

Using the Vision D bin from the repository, shasum: ced9ebe5f609dd56f2e98e3e069b6ad54158565b???

In your example for the Vision D, under the system profiler for Thunderbolt Bus, you have 'Gigabyte' for Vendor Name. However, using your VisionD bin file from your repository, my Vendor Name is 'Apple.' Is it the correct Vision D *.bin in your repository? Something is wrong... Using your Vision D bin file, I can only use 1 thunderbolt device at a time... if I add another another device, it doesn't start. I used windows as well same problem...

Also, maybe I missed it, but in your guide, do you specify what SSDTs are needed on the flashed chip? Are any needed for flashed chips, i.e., for hotplug, etc? I'm using the thunderbolt3 SSDTs specified in post 1 of this guide, I haven't disabled them yet...

Last edited:
Hello CaseySJ,

I am just reading through the mini guide for configuring liquidctl. I have noticed that liquidctl now supports RGB Fusion 2. I am currently using liquidctl on my system to control the fans and LED lighting on my NZXT X72 Cooler. This all works brilliant. I am just wondering if liquidctl is able to control the LED lighting built into my motherboard (Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Xtreme) of which uses RGB Fusion. As far as I can tell, on this MB the lights are controlled via ITE Device (8595) 0x8297. This channel (if that's what its referred to as) is listed in the gigabyte_rgb_fusion.py file.

Your advice / help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks again for the help. I just tried this and sadly I still get the same message. Can you suggest any other options? I’m assuming this is a very rare message.

have you tried to go through the steps described here point by point?

Hi @CaseySJ, I followed your guide to flash the Vision D z490 Thunderbolt 3 Winbond chip using the specified *.bin file. I finally got thunderbolt bus! My thunderbolt device plugged in works. But in System Report (System Profiler) under Thunderbolt Bus information, rather than the two links being set to 40 gbps, it says 20 gbps. Is this normal?

Using the Vision D bin from the repository, shasum: ced9ebe5f609dd56f2e98e3e069b6ad54158565b???

In your example for the Vision D, under the system profiler for Thunderbolt Bus, you have 'Gigabyte' for Vendor Name. However, using your VisionD bin file from your repository, my Vendor Name is 'Apple.' Is it the correct Vision D *.bin in your repository? Something is wrong... Using your Vision D bin file, I can only use 1 thunderbolt device at a time... if I add another another device, it doesn't start. I used windows as well same problem...

Also, maybe I missed it, but in your guide, do you specify what SSDTs are needed on the flashed chip? Are any needed for flashed chips, i.e., for hotplug, etc? I'm using the thunderbolt3 SSDTs specified in post 1 of this guide, I haven't disabled them yet...
Hello @dehjomz,

Flashing the firmware is more than 2/3rds of the battle. That was the hard part -- nice to see that you succeeded with that. Did you use Raspberry Pi?

In order to fix both (a) port speed and (b) vendor name, it is necessary to follow the Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide. In Post #1, please click the link highlighted:

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.32.15 AM.png

I have recently noticed that USB-C devices don't seem to hot-plug. No problem with Thunderbolt devices or with USB-C devices connected to Thunderbolt docks. But when USB-C devices are connected directly, at this time they need to be present during boot.

Hello CaseySJ,

I am just reading through the mini guide for configuring liquidctl. I have noticed that liquidctl now supports RGB Fusion 2. I am currently using liquidctl on my system to control the fans and LED lighting on my NZXT X72 Cooler. This all works brilliant. I am just wondering if liquidctl is able to control the LED lighting built into my motherboard (Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Xtreme) of which uses RGB Fusion. As far as I can tell, on this MB the lights are controlled via ITE Device (8595) 0x8297. This channel (if that's what its referred to as) is listed in the gigabyte_rgb_fusion.py file.

Your advice / help would be greatly appreciated :)
Hello @Lukey1979,

The development version of liquidctl supports both ITE Tech devices 0x5702 and 0x8297. It has already been tested on an X570 board running Windows so it should work on Gigabyte X390 AORUS Xtreme under macOS, Linux, and Windows.

To test it on macOS, I would suggest:
  • Installing liquidctl via Homebrew as explained in the liquidctl installation guide
  • But then replace all files in the following directories with files from equivalent directories in my development branch
    • Replace all files inside liquidctl/driver with the ones located here
    • Replace all files inside liquidctl folder with the ones located here
  • Then try: liquidctl --hid hid list
    • Do you see the 0x8297 device in the list?

Just reporting back.

I spent most of last night working on projects in Logic Pro X with absolutely no problems or audio hiccups at all.

I wish I knew exactly what fixed my problem but it in my case it was one (or all of) the following:
  • Switching around the PCI-E cards
  • Setting Bifurcation to 'auto' in BIOS
  • Turning off all Intel speedstep/EIST/thermal control (for a 5ghz overclock)
I'm leaning towards the second option above as it was directly after setting that in BIOS that I noticed all of a sudden a lot of the problems I was experiencing dissappeared.

Starting to really appreciate the power of the 10900K (vs my old i7 8700K) as I have far fewer system overloads when working on music.

Massive thank you to @CaseySJ for his ongoing help, support and patience.

Over the moon right now as the machine is running beautifully!

Looking forward to more Vision G owners so we can push this even further in the future :)

Best,

Tom

This right here seems to be perhaps the leading edge of Gigabyte / Thunderbolt hackintoshing?

May I ask if anyone understands why the people at OpenCore don't like Gigabyte motherboards when from my original build here in 2013, Gigabyte has seemed to be, if anything, the preferred route?

Or am I misinterpreting what I have read?

Hello @dehjomz,

Flashing the firmware is more than 2/3rds of the battle. That was the hard part -- nice to see that you succeeded with that. Did you use Raspberry Pi?

In order to fix both (a) port speed and (b) vendor name, it is necessary to follow the Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide. In Post #1, please click the link highlighted:

View attachment 478171
I have recently noticed that USB-C devices don't seem to hot-plug. No problem with Thunderbolt devices or with USB-C devices connected to Thunderbolt docks. But when USB-C devices are connected directly, at this time they need to be present during boot.

Yes I used a pi 4b. I will try the DROM procedure later. But is the reported speed change after applying the DROM just cosmetic? In other words, even if System Profiler reports 40 gbps per port, isn’t it lying, and the real speed of the card is 20 gbps per port?

Under PCI devices, system profiler reports the thunderbolt controller as x4, taking up 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes. According to Wikipedia, PCIe 3.0 x4 = 3938.5 MB/s. Doing the math, this is 31.508 Gbps for the entire card. So how can it offer 40 gbps per port or 80 gbps or bandwidth?? What am I missing?

Back