Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I live out of town and that kind of Internet sounds like a fantasy! The best I get is 3Mbps download and 1Mbps upload!
@DaneE43 Yes, I'm very fortunate to be able to have Google Fiber. Not too many towns and rural communities have that kind of speed for the price. Goggle has even refunded me when there is an outage without me asking, it just happens. I think there have been two outages in the last three years. They installed from the street to my house at their expense (800 feet) and ran it into my basement. I have been very impressed. Now they are offering 2Gbps both directions, but I just don't need that speed. The fiber is being installed by my the city utility department (for use with smart metering) and then Google leases space on the fiber which has worked out well. Not available everywhere yet, but it's coming along.

RestrictEvents.kext claims to be able to do this, but I’ve not been successful in my attempts. But I only spent 30 minutes on it.

I too tried and was unsuccessful, because I was only passing the revcpuname value.

If you pass this and revcpu=1, then it works as follows when RestrictEvents in enabled in the Kernel/Add section of OpenCore:

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.02.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.01.25 AM.png

But the Memory pane changes (from what I earlier posted on another of your threads), and the PCI Cards pane is removed, as shown in the Spoiler below. It seems as if this pane's view is reverting from the newer MacPro7,1 to the iMacPro1,1 view. The Memory entries are still valid and properly reported (as displayed in SystemInformation), only the layout is different.

RestrictEvents disabled (using SMBIOS MacPro7,1):
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 11.17.15 AM.png

RestrictEvents enabled (using SMBIOS MacPro7,1):
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.09.20 AM.png

Update:

I neglected to mention that the value revcpu shown above is for non-Intel CPUs, which is what I used in the example (AMD Threadripper X3970X).

For Intel CPUs, set revcpu = 0; otherwise, set revcpu = 1.

Last edited:
I too tried and was unsuccessful, because I was only passing the revcpuname value.

If you pass this and revcpu=1, then it works as follows when RestrictEvents in enabled in the Kernel/Add section of OpenCore:
Ah, so we need to add them directly to the NVRAM variable. I used both parameters as well, but added them to boot-args instead.

But the Memory pane changes (from what I earlier posted on another of your threads), and the PCI Cards pane is removed, as shown in the Spoiler below. It seems as if this pane's view is reverting from the newer MacPro7,1 to the iMacPro1,1 view. The Memory entries are still valid and properly reported (as displayed in SystemInformation), only the layout is different.
Ah, two steps forward, one step back.

@CaseySJ I have noticed that in a previous post you have mentioned that 11.4 beta 1 (and I suppose now beta 2) supports 6000 series. I have a clone disk on my main installation, and I am willing to install the beta on that disk to see how it goes. However when trying to install the beta, I noticed that the beta 2 was almost 12GB. I stop the download process because I am used to small upgrade. Is that OK to install the 11.4 beta 2 on a clone of Big Sur 11.2.1? I don't have any spare SDD. If that is not really a good solution, then I'll wait until 11.4 is officially release.

@CaseySJ, I have noticed that in a previous post you have mentioned that 11.4 beta 1 (and I suppose now beta 2) supports 6000 series. I have a clone disk on my main installation, and I am willing to install the beta on that disk to see how it goes. However when trying to install the beta, I noticed that the beta 2 was almost 12GB. I stop the download process because I am used to small upgrade. Is that OK to install the 11.4 beta 2 on a clone of Big Sur 11.2.1? I don't have any spare SDD. If that is not really a good solution, then I'll wait until 11.4 is officially release.
A 12GB download seems okay because you would be going from 11.2 to 11.4. An in-place upgrade from Software Update should be fine.

@DaneE43 Yes, I'm very fortunate to be able to have Google Fiber. Not too many towns and rural communities have that kind of speed for the price. Goggle has even refunded me when there is an outage without me asking, it just happens. I think there have been two outages in the last three years. They installed from the street to my house at their expense (800 feet) and ran it into my basement. I have been very impressed. Now they are offering 2Gbps both directions, but I just don't need that speed. The fiber is being installed by my the city utility department (for use with smart metering) and then Google leases space on the fiber which has worked out well. Not available everywhere yet, but it's coming along.
Nice. I have FIOS in the Washington area, 940 up/down. I remember when I first connected to the Internet on a 14.4 Kbps modem… and then begged my mom to update to 56.6K, and I thought the Internet speed was on fire, lol. My my, how far we’ve come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you tried this on an Intel system? If so, does it work?

Just attempted it on the Z490 Vision D with 6-Core i5-10400, but unable to change the CPU name. CPU name actually becomes blank and states only the frequency (2.9 GHz).

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.02.23 AM.png

Have you tried this on an Intel system? If so, does it work?

Just attempted it on the Z490 Vision D with 6-Core i5-10400, but unable to change the CPU name. CPU name actually becomes blank and states only the frequency (2.9 GHz).

View attachment 518194
Same here, but I had no change to the CPU name. @rj510

** GC-Titan Ridge Owners **
Please read if you have flashed your Thunderbolt firmware chip (blue dot chip)​

In Big Sur 11.3 onwards, the firmware GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin is not stable, and macOS Big Sur will crash. You are advised to flash the DSM firmware called TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin. This firmware has been posted to the Repository. Although this has been tested on GC-Titan Ridge V1.0, it may well apply to V2.0 of the card as well.

Credit: @Matic
Credit for Firmware: DSM2 (MacRumors user name)

View attachment 517893
What's the difference between the new DSM firmware and the old one?

• Did this problem occur in 11.4 beta 1?
  • Or only in beta 2?
We can force the country code to US as follows:
  • Download AirportBrcmFixup.kext.
  • Copy to OC/Kexts and add entry in config.plist
  • Add boot-arg brcmfx-country=US
  • Reboot and check Country Code

Update: Hmm, the above may not work... Should try anyway, but need to remove AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext from the PlugIns sub-folder of the kext.

View attachment 517659
So I thought I had the Fenvi T919 installed in my box, but it was infact a Fenvi FV9801. Both my GPU and the wifi card are vertically mounted, so I couldn't see behind the GPU.

For some reason the FV9801 started giving me trouble in terms of connecting to certain DFS Channels, including 100, even in windows. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. And if it does connect, it takes several seconds for the WPA handshake process between the wifi card and the router to complete.

So I swapped it out for a Fenvi T919 (the OG), and it connects immediately to my router's DFS Channel 100 with WPA2/WPA3 enabled, no issue. So there is some incompatibility with the FV9801 and certain 5 Ghz Channels.

But unfortunately when connected to my internal USB header, the Fenvi T919 immediately wakes up the system, so now I remember why I had swapped it out for the FV9801 (the T919 was giving me trouble in terms of sleep/wake when I had first installed it to the z490 Vision D).

But I routed the bluetooth usb connector out to a connector on the I/O panel in the back, and made it an 'Internal' USB port, and now sleep works just fine. The onboard USB connectors are also 'Internal,' so I don't know why the system immediately wakes up when the T919 is connected to the onboard USB2 hub, but doesn't when connected to a port on the I/O panel. I also had to reset the Bluetooth module in macOS, maybe that helped.

But I also just realized the bluetooth connection is much better with the T919 compared to the FV9801. About 12 dBM better from the same location.

Last edited:
Back