Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hey CaseySJ,

thank you for the quick response.
To answer your questions first:
  • no Photos app - clean BigSur installation
  • iGPU with the Nvidia disabled via boot flag "-wegnoegpu" (during start up the apple logo is first shown on the monitor that is attached to the Nvidia but freezes at about 30% of the progress bar, the monitor that is attached to the motherboard turns one when I get to the login screen (no progress bar is shown))
  • Not quite able to reproduce the crashes, see further investigation below:
I did some more testing: I unplugged all the other drives, so only the NVMe is attached. Then, I booted via USB stick (OpenCore 0.6.6 DEBUG). Unfortunately, I first had a freeze after about 6 minutes when the computer was idle (see screenshot). After a manual reset I was able to run Big Sur more than 30 minutes. I tried to do some stress test with the Intel power gadget with no freeze for about 10 minutes. I stopped the stress test and did some basic browsing with Firefox which also caused no freeze. One thing that seemed odd was that there are some graphic glitches that occur occasionally for example in the URL bar in Firefox. Also for some screensavers the glitches occur. Finally the computer froze when I started the preview of some screensaver. After yet another reset I was able to view the screensavers that caused the crash before. I've attached a photo of the first crash (within 6 minutes) and another one of the screensaver glitch that caused the second freeze. Also, I attached a log of the crash...
Some comments:
  • Those screen glitches are normal when using iGPU. This is one of the many reasons why we strongly discourage long term use of iGPU. An AMD GPU should be used instead, but I do understand the current unavailability of these cards due to crypto mining.
  • Because this is a fresh installation:
    • Have you migrated any apps and data from an older system (Migration Assistant)?
    • Or is this still a relatively clean system?
  • If this is still a relatively clean system, I'm beginning to suspect memory. It would be advisable to do the following:
    • If you have Windows or Linux installed on this system, boot into either of those operating systems and see if the system works reliably.
    • If so, then your memory modules are most likely okay.
  • Please turn off screensavers completely.
    • Does the system still crash or freeze?

Some comments:
  • Those screen glitches are normal when using iGPU. This is one of the many reasons why we strongly discourage long term use of iGPU. An AMD GPU should be used instead, but I do understand the current unavailability of these cards due to crypto mining.
  • Because this is a fresh installation:
    • Have you migrated any apps and data from an older system (Migration Assistant)?
    • Or is this still a relatively clean system?
  • If this is still a relatively clean system, I'm beginning to suspect memory. It would be advisable to do the following:
    • If you have Windows or Linux installed on this system, boot into either of those operating systems and see if the system works reliably.
    • If so, then your memory modules are most likely okay.
  • Please turn off screensavers completely.
    • Does the system still crash or freeze?
  • Clean install without any migration of data or apps from previous Mac OS versions. I only installed Firefox and Intel Power Gadget so far.
  • I will do a memory test tomorrow and post the results plus also check if screensavers play a role
I'll keep you posted and again thank you for your super fast answers :)

• Clean install without any migration of data or apps from previous Mac OS versions. I only installed Firefox and Intel Power Gadget so far.
  • I will do a memory test tomorrow and post the results plus also check if screensavers play a role
I'll keep you posted and again thank you for your super fast answers :)
If XMP is enabled, try disabling it. Sometimes overclocked memory causes macOS to hard crash... unless you give it a bit more voltage. 1.35 -> 1.38 for example.

On my old Z170, macOS is stable with XMP on, but Windows is not. I get blue screens with some note about WHEA errors. Also, with XMP on, the USB controller ejects drives when the system resumes from sleep. With XMP off, no problems. Tried XMP with different memory modules and same problems.

But I put the same memory (Corsair vengeance) from the Z170 into a newer system and enabled XMP, and no problems at all. So go figure.

Last edited:
Please try the process of elimination:
  • Start by disconnecting all Thunderbolt devices (they can be hot plugged later)
  • If problem persists:
    • Boot with only 1 monitor connected. Check again.
    • Remove any PCIe cards other than GPU and WiFi/BT. Check again.
    • Disconnect external USB devices except keyboard and mouse. Check again.
If nothing seems to help, it will be necessary to contact Gigabyte Tech Support.
Hi,
Lately I've been getting hangs at the Gigabyte Splash Screen, then I restart the PC and Boot menu appears.
I have only 1 monitor, no other PCIe cards other than GPU, Ethernet is connected, USB devices connected are keyboard and mouse.

Is there anything else I can try before reaching out to Gigabyte Tech Support?

Also, this rarely happens but sometimes The system is starting up, then I'm at the Mac's login screen and I realize that the keyboard isn't responding, I unplug and plug the keyboard USB and it starts working normally. Is it a separate problem or could this be related to the splash screen hangs?

Thanks.

@CaseySJ, Hi there. I am trying to reset my csr-active-config to 0 via the config.plist. I have the csr-active-config flag in "add' set to 0 and also in"delete" after boot-arg. I rebooted the system, reset NVRAM and Hackintool is still showing e7030000, the previous value. Am I missing something? I am 100% sure that the only time I changed it from 0 to e7030000 I never booted into recovery mode and used the command line.
What is also weird is that in a second attempt, I used Clear NVRAM from the OC Picker rather than reset NVRAM. When macOS restarted (somehow it failed to boot after clearing the NVRAM), suddenly I had 3 warnings regarding some apps which required their extensions to be approved on the security section in system preferences before being able to use them. But Hackintool still does not show the right value.
Any suggestion?
Thanks

P.S.: the other not so good news is that disabled GPRW still does not solve my Windows 10 crashing within a few seconds from booting from the OC Picker :(
if I add the -v flag to boot arg, do you think I'll be able to pick up the reason of the crash? or the reason of the crash is outside OC Picker reach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Lately I've been getting hangs at the Gigabyte Splash Screen, then I restart the PC and Boot menu appears.
I have only 1 monitor, no other PCIe cards other than GPU, Ethernet is connected, USB devices connected are keyboard and mouse.

Is there anything else I can try before reaching out to Gigabyte Tech Support?

Also, this rarely happens but sometimes The system is starting up, then I'm at the Mac's login screen and I realize that the keyboard isn't responding, I unplug and plug the keyboard USB and it starts working normally. Is it a separate problem or could this be related to the splash screen hangs?

Thanks.
If you can, try installing Linux or Windows to see if these problems still occur. Also try downloading and installing BIOS F5. Then configure BIOS parameters (start with F7 -- Load Optimized Defaults). If F5 is already installed, re-install it. Please avoid F7c and F20b at this time.

[
@CaseySJ, Hi there. I am trying to reset my csr-active-config to 0 via the config.plist. I have the csr-active-config flag in "add' set to 0 and also in"delete" after boot-arg. I rebooted the system, reset NVRAM and Hackintool is still showing e7030000, the previous value. Am I missing something? I am 100% sure that the only time I changed it from 0 to e7030000 I never booted into recovery mode and used the command line.
What is also weird is that in a second attempt, I used Clear NVRAM from the OC Picker rather than reset NVRAM. When macOS restarted (somehow it failed to boot after clearing the NVRAM), suddenly I had 3 warnings regarding some apps which required their extensions to be approved on the security section in system preferences before being able to use them. But Hackintool still does not show the right value.
Any suggestion?
Thanks.
If there are multiple disks in the system and hence multiple EFI partitions, we should first make sure that we're booting from the correct EFI partition. In BIOS, simply set Boot Priority #1 to the name of the primary macOS SSD. If Boot Priority #1 is currently "OpenCore", change it to the name of the primary macOS SSD. On the next reboot this will change to "OpenCore", which is OKAY. Then check if SIP is enabled (0x00000000).

P.S.: the other not so good news is that disabled GPRW still does not solve my Windows 10 crashing within a few seconds from booting from the OC Picker :(
if I add the -v flag to boot arg, do you think I'll be able to pick up the reason of the crash? or the reason of the crash is outside OC Picker reach?
The -v flag to boot-args applies only to macOS. If all the SSDTs in your OC/APCI folder are checking for "Darwin" then we may need to defer this problem while we scratch our heads for other solutions! ;)

** Big Sur Users: FYI **

Moral of the story: You'll never regret buying an NVMe drive that is "too large." You'll probably regret buying one that is too small.

Back