Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

What value are you using for csr-active-config? Sometimes it may be necessary to (temporarily) change it to 00000000.
I'll try that. Currently using E7030000.

Alas I am encountering that problem again on my Z390 Designare Test Bench, but not on my Z390 Designare Main System nor on my Z490 Vision D. This particular Z390 Test Bench has suffered from this problem in the past and I thought that BlacklistAppleUpdate would fix this. I was able to go from 11.2 Beta 2 to 11.2 Beta 3 without any trouble and thought the problem was fixed. But the problem resurfaced when going from 11.2 beta 3 to 11.2 Release.

The only way I know how to update macOS on my troublesome Test Bench is as follows (CAUTION: You won't like what you read):
  • Clone the internal NVMe SSD to a SATA SSD mounted in an external USB 3 enclosure OR remove the internal NVMe SSD and mount it directly inside a USB 3 NVMe enclosure.
  • Connect the external drive to another Hack or Mac, preferably a real Mac.
  • Boot from the Hack's or Mac's own internal SSD.
  • Download the full macOS installer (you can use GibMacOS) to the real Mac or Hack.
  • Then run Install macOS Big Sur (or Install macOS Catalina) from the Applications folder. Make sure that this is the right version (Finder --> File --> Get Info).
  • When the installer starts, point it to the external SSD.
  • Now your Hack or Mac will upgrade macOS on the external SSD.
  • When process is complete, eject the external SSD and connect it back to the original Hackintosh, and boot.

Thank you for your suggestion though Casey as usual!

Steps I took (in case this helps anyone else):

• Booted 11.1 recovery drive
  • Used Disk Utility to 'First Aid' the 'Macintosh HD' partition of my system disk
  • Updated successfully using Software Update
The tables have turned young padawan! I fixed it ;)

Posting from 11.2 right now! Whoop!

Thank you for your suggestion though Casey as usual!

Steps I took (in case this helps anyone else):

• Booted 11.1 recovery drive
  • Used Disk Utility to 'First Aid' the 'Macintosh HD' partition of my system disk
  • Updated successfully using Software Update
The tables have turned young padawan! I fixed it ;)

Posting from 11.2 right now! Whoop!
Indeed!! Darth Vader to Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Now I am the Master." :)

What value are you using for csr-active-config? Sometimes it may be necessary to (temporarily) change it to 00000000.

I'll try that. Currently using E7030000.
@Ploddles,

That worked!! Thank you for the suggestion.

To be sure, I first attempted the macOS update (on the Z390 Designare Test Bench) with csr-active-config E7030000, and it failed. Then I changed it to 00000000 and off it goes... ;)
Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 1.36.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 2.19.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 2.16.39 PM.png

Last edited:
The attached ZIP contains 3 modified USB SSDT. Please use these in place of the original:
  • Mount EFI partition
  • Go to the OC/ACPI folder
  • Copy the three attached files into this folder, replacing the ones that are already there
  • Reboot
  • At OpenCore Picker, see if Windows can boot
Unfortunately same error.

Gigabyte has re-released the F20 BIOS, now F20b. I haven’t tried it yet. But hopefully it fixes the horrible problem that F20a had.

@Ploddles,

When OpenCore 0.6.7 is released next month I am thinking of fully enabling SIP with 0x00000000. In your experience is there any reason why we should not do this? In other words, we can enable SIP by default and let users disable SIP on an as-needed basis...

Last edited:
Unfortunately same error.
Okay let's dig a little deeper:
  • Please Mount EFI partition of each SSD in the system.
  • Then, in Finder, expand the EFI folder of each one.
  • Post a screenshot of each.
This will help me see how each operating system's boot loader is configured.

@Ploddles,

When OpenCore 0.6.7 is released next month I am thinking of fully enabling SIP with 0x00000000. In your experience is there any reason why we should not do this? In other words, we can enable SIP by default and let users disable SIP on an as-needed basis...

I haven't found any reason to change it from 0x00000000. If there was I would just change it whilst I needed to and then flip it back. I'd rather updates, etc., being applied as and when they are released rather than scratching my head trying to remember why they wouldn't install.

Okay let's dig a little deeper:
  • Please Mount EFI partition of each SSD in the system.
  • Then, in Finder, expand the EFI folder of each one.
  • Post a screenshot of each.
This will help me see how each operating system's boot loader is configured.
Each EFI attached as you asked

Attachments

• macefi.png
    macefi.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 65
  • winefi.png
    winefi.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 22.44.28.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 22.44.28.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 50
Back