Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Ah, that sounds good. Btw, do you own that 5K monitor? Just wondering why did you have to use two Thunderbolt chips. What problem did you had?
I have multiple Thunderbolt controllers only for the purpose of helping the Hackintosh community. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to answer your question. But I don't have a Thunderbolt monitor. If I had space on my desk for one, I would consider it, but I wouldn't need it. ;)

I have multiple Thunderbolt controllers only for the purpose of helping the Hackintosh community. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to answer your question. But I don't have a Thunderbolt monitor. If I had space on my desk for one, I would consider it, but I wouldn't need it. ;)
I see. Thanks a lot for your efforts!

Thanks @CaseySJ and all who have worked on the components and ironing this out.
I assembled a new build this weekend and it went completely smoothly and everything works!

OS X 10.15.7 Catalina

GIGABYTE Z490 VISION D
i9-10850K
Fractal Design Celsius S36 liquid cooler
Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 570
64GB RAM (G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 )
fenvi FV-T919 Hackintosh 1750Mbps PCI-E Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Wifi Adapter

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 1.30.06 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks @CaseySJ and all who have worked on the components and ironing this out.
I assembled a new build this weekend and it went completely smoothly and everything works!

Glad to hear it, and congratulations!

We must start a society of problem-free-builders! We already have a Society of Mad Scientists dedicated to those who have so bravely flashed their on-board Thunderbolt controller. They are the few, the proud, the mad.

A Society of Problem Free Builders sounds like fun. Masons of the 33rd degree, look out!

Hello @rtw,

Welcome to the forum!

In the OC 0.6.5 Wireless EFI, I copied the 1.2.0-Alpha version of the OpenIntel WiFi driver, but the Bluetooth driver is the same as the previous EFI (v1.1.2 from August 2020).

Some questions:
  • Are you able to pair and connect Bluetooth devices?
  • When we switch from a different Bluetooth device to the on-board Intel Bluetooth module, we should delete all paired devices and re-pair them. Have you already done this?
Casey,

Can't connect because there is no BT device found under system preferences. It does not exist.
Something is causing BT to not being detected or recognized with 6.5. I reverted back to 6.4 and all worked again..

Thanks.

Last edited:
Curious if anyone else has this issue. I think it started once I upgrade to OC 0.6.4. It continues in OC 0.6.5. I have triple boot machine. When rebooting from Windows into Big Sur upon startup/login screen I get a strange video glitch. The video seems to double/glitch. I can navigate to the shutdown "X" and shut the machine down. Once I hit the power button again the machine will start up regularly. This same behavior does not show itself when rebooting from Linux. If I just do a normal reboot from Big Sur back into Big Sur no issues either. Each OS is on its own SSD, and Im running a Nitro 5700 XT. Anyone want to point me in a direction? I don't even know where to go to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance.

We have seen circumstantial evidence of WD drives causing issues. Circumstantial evidence is not scientific, however, so we cannot say with certainty whether those drives are incompatible or problematic. We should also check if SATA Mode is set to AHCI in BIOS Setup.

This is a tricky issue. Do you still have your OC 0.6.1 EFI folder? If so, please give it another try to confirm that Windows is able to boot directly from OC Picker. If it works, please compress and post the OC 0.6.1 folder (you may remove serial numbers from config.plist).

Again, we have circumstantial evidence to suggest that WD drives may be problematic. Do you have a third NVMe SSD that is not a WD brand?
Yes I still have 0.6.1 and Windows boots fine. I can attach it. However, I don't have the OpenCore tool for 0.6.1. I have the latest one for 0.6.5. So I am concerned that, if I edit that 0.6.1 with OpenCore to remove the serials and save it, it will screw up the format. I can also edit the config.plist with plist editor if that's better.
Regarding the NVMe, I have one spare Samsung EVOo + 250GB which is the one I used to clone the Sabrent one (since I thought that maybe it would fix the pb.
The current config is:
- slot 1: EVO + 1TB macOS
- slot 2: WD SN750 1TB
- slot 3: Sabrent 500GB Windows 10
- PCIe x4 adapter: empty

if I swap slot 2 and 3 (or move the WD to the PCIe x4 adapter, the system does not start.

In previous config I had:
- slot 2: EVO + 250GB Windows 10
- slot 3: empty
- PCIe x4 adapter: WD SN750 1TB

With the WD in slot 3, the system would not start.
It is hard to find a pattern because there have been combinations where the WD remained in the PCIe x4 adapter and the issue was coming from the NVMe disks slotted in slots 1 to 3.

Yes I still have 0.6.1 and Windows boots fine. I can attach it. However, I don't have the OpenCore tool for 0.6.1. I have the latest one for 0.6.5. So I am concerned that, if I edit that 0.6.1 with OpenCore to remove the serials and save it, it will screw up the format. I can also edit the config.plist with plist editor if that's better.
Regarding the NVMe, I have one spare Samsung EVOo + 250GB which is the one I used to clone the Sabrent one (since I thought that maybe it would fix the pb.
The current config is:
- slot 2: WD SN750 1TB
- slot 3: Sabrent 500GB Windows 10
- PCIe x4 adapter: empty

if I swap slot 2 and 3 (or move the WD to the PCIe x4 adapter, the system does not start.

In previous config I had:
- slot 2: EVO + 250GB Windows 10
- slot 3: empty
- PCIe x4 adapter: WD SN750 1TB

With the WD in slot 3, the system would not start.
It is hard to find a pattern because there have been combinations where the WD remained in the PCIe x4 adapter and the issue was coming from the NVMe disks slotted in slots 1 to 3.
Someone recently stated that physically removing the Intel CNVi card allows the third NVMe slot to operate at its full bandwidth (x4). Otherwise it slows to x2. So this might be worth trying. Just remember to keep the tiny antenna connectors connected and just pull out the CNVi card out of its socket, but don’t remove it completely. This allows you to reinstall the CNVi module if this experiment fails.

As usual, power switch on PSU must be OFF when doing this.

Casey,

Can't connect because there is no BT device found under system preferences. It does not exist.
Something is causing BT to not being detected or recognized with 6.5. I reverted back to 6.4 and all worked again..

Thanks.
If you have another Bluetooth device in the system such as Fenvi FV-T919 or Bluetooth USB dongle, please physically remove that device.

If you don't have another Bluetooth device, please compress and post your EFI folder, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo section of config.plist.

Curious if anyone else has this issue. I think it started once I upgrade to OC 0.6.4. It continues in OC 0.6.5. I have triple boot machine. When rebooting from Windows into Big Sur upon startup/login screen I get a strange video glitch. The video seems to double/glitch. I can navigate to the shutdown "X" and shut the machine down. Once I hit the power button again the machine will start up regularly. This same behavior does not show itself when rebooting from Linux. If I just do a normal reboot from Big Sur back into Big Sur no issues either. Each OS is on its own SSD, and Im running a Nitro 5700 XT. Anyone want to point me in a direction? I don't even know where to go to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance.
Please describe the glitch:
  • It happens only at the macOS Big Sur login screen?
  • Is it just a flicker or two (i.e. the screen goes blank for a second or two then comes back)?
  • Does it happen just once or does it happen every X minutes?

Back