Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@Ayvan One more question.

What power supply are you using?

I am also planning to have a 10700K and upon reading the Z490 Vision G manual it has one 8-pin CPU connector and one 4-pin CPU connector. I am planning to reuse a RM750x bought in 2016 which has only one 8-pin CPU connector.

Does the 10700K boot on the Vision G with only one connector? Is the 4-pin necessary to power it or only necessary for extreme overclocking?

Glad to hear it.

Are you saying that AppleSystemInfo.strings contains the new processor name, but it does not appear in About this Mac? Here's a screenshot of my version of that file (opened using BBEdit):

View attachment 477305

I think so, yes. Check this out

laurentmaldo@Music-iMac Downloads % plutil -p /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings | grep IntelSpeed
"IntelSpeedAndTypeFormat" => "%1$@ 10-Core Intel Core i9-10900K"

As my AppleLocale is en_FR (My system is in English but I use a French keyboard), I also gave a try to the same file in the fr.lproj folder, just in case, by modifying the script and hardcoding the path. Same thing

laurentmaldo@Music-iMac Downloads % plutil -p /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/fr.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings | grep IntelSpeed
"IntelSpeedAndTypeFormat" => "%1$@ 10-Core Intel Core i9-10900K"

My conclusion is that I'm not targeting the right file. But I don't know which one I should modify, then...

@Ayvan One more question.

What power supply are you using?

I am also planning to have a 10700K and upon reading the Z490 Vision G manual it has one 8-pin CPU connector and one 4-pin CPU connector. I am planning to reuse a RM750x bought in 2016 which has only one 8-pin CPU connector.

Does the 10700K boot on the Vision G with only one connector? Is the 4-pin necessary to power it or only necessary for extreme overclocking?
I'm using 1050W power supply, but now only 8-pin connector for CPU power is connected (it can provide ~300W, and it's more than i7-10700K consumes without OC). So, you can use only 8-pin CPU power connector without any issues. Additional 4-pin connector is for OC only, and, I think, only i9-10900K need it (with overclock i9 can consume ~330-350W).

Last edited:
I'm using 1050W power supply, but now only 8-pin connector for CPU power is connected (it can provide ~300W, and it's more than i7-10700K consumes without OC). So, you can use only 8-pin CPU power connector without any issues. Additional 4-pin connector is for OC only, and, I think, only i9-10900K need it (with overclock i9 can consume ~330-350W).

Fantastic. Thanks for the information!

No problem. With the volume of traffic on this site, it’s hard to remember who has what. Hence the profile.

Hi @CaseySJ ...

I tried to take out the 5700 XT to see if the card was causing the problems. When I turn the computer on, it only turns on briefly and then turns off again immediately. Can you tell me what I have to consider or how you proceeded?

If I boot with the 5700 XT plugged in, but connect the monitor to the internal Thunderbolt ports via USB C, macOS crashes during boot. o_O I changed Settings -> IOPorts -> Initial Display Output to IGFX for that.

Hi @CaseySJ ...

I tried to take out the 5700 XT to see if the card was causing the problems. When I turn the computer on, it only turns on briefly and then turns off again immediately. Can you tell me what I have to consider or how you proceeded?

If I boot with the 5700 XT plugged in, but connect the monitor to the internal Thunderbolt ports via USB C, macOS crashes during boot. o_O

You will need to change your BIOS to output to the onboard HDMI port rather than the 5700XT in PCIe slot 1, otherwise you won't get past that point and be stuck in a continuous reboot loop. Or you could just short the BIOS reset pins, which will have the same effect, and set up the BIOS again from scratch.

You will need to change your BIOS to output to the onboard HDMI port rather than the 5700XT in PCIe slot 1, otherwise you won't get past that point and be stuck in a continuous reboot loop. Or you could just short the BIOS reset pins, which will have the same effect, and set up the BIOS again from scratch.

I tried two things:

1) Remove 5700 XT, connect the display to the internal Thunderbolt port via USB C and change the BIOS output to IGFX: The system only turns on for a short time, shows no picture and turns off again immediately. Do I have to remove the power cables for the GPU from the PSU (it's modular)? I left them plugged in, because I can't get to the ports of the PSU without taking everything apart.

2) Leave 5700 XT installed, connect the display to the internal Thunderbolt port via USB C and change the BIOS output to IGFX: I get a picture on the monitor, but macOS crashes at about 50% during boot. This test case would probably not have been very helpful anyway.

I tried two things:

1) Remove 5700 XT, connect the display to the internal Thunderbolt port via USB C and change the BIOS output to IGFX: The system only turns on for a short time, shows no picture and turns off again immediately. Do I have to remove the power cables for the GPU from the PSU (it's modular)? I left them plugged in, because I can't get to the ports of the PSU without taking everything apart.

2) Leave 5700 XT installed, connect the display to the internal Thunderbolt port via USB C and change the BIOS output to IGFX: I get a picture on the monitor, but macOS crashes at about 50% during boot. This test case would probably not have been very helpful anyway.
To test sleep with iGPU only, you could try the following:
  • Set platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 and add the Boot Argument -wegnoegpu (WEG No External GPU).
  • Alternatively, it may be necessary to:
    • Remove RX 5700 XT
    • Perform CMOS Reset
    • Then try to boot

I switched to alchemist's file, seem to work fine, the error screen still pops up but doesn't stuck there and will quickly move on. Now the front usb-c lost connection in sleep again.
In my last few time of system-built, when I finish, the opencore option would always be in the bios boot menu as a single option same as the internal boot drive. I don't know what's the difference now, I can only put the mac boot drive in the first option then can I see the opencore screen.
Everything seems to work but with some performance penalty, especially the radeon 7. Here're some test scores:

Attachments

• 截屏2020-06-22 上午1.40.51.png
    截屏2020-06-22 上午1.40.51.png
    610.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 截屏2020-06-22 上午1.43.53.png
    截屏2020-06-22 上午1.43.53.png
    522.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 截屏2020-06-22 上午1.44.54.png
    截屏2020-06-22 上午1.44.54.png
    537.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 截屏2020-06-22 上午2.02.51.png
    截屏2020-06-22 上午2.02.51.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hi chaps

I have the Vision G but cant get the onboard Ethernet working. The Vision G has only 1x Intel 225Gbe Ethernet port unfortunately.

I've got Catalina 10.15.5 successfully installed and everything is working beautifully aside from the network. This is a work machine so I'm getting rather desperate after 2 days of solid tinkering!

Would anyone be able to lend a hand at all? I've tried multiple times now to no avail and am starting to pull my hair out at this point!

Another user said to try the latest intelmausi.kext but it seems like I already have that? (1.0.3). I must admit that seemed strange when he said to me as I thought we needed the "FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext" & "FakePCIID.kext" to make the Intel i225 2.5Gbe point work?

Best Wishes,

Tom

Back