Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming + i5-9400 + 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I ended up buying Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB. How do I educate myself or read on, so I can wisely update my EFI so it will accept the GPU? The journey was long just to get a good EFI to be able to install/boot OSX. I don't want to mess this up. :)

If you are still using the EFI that I provided, you will need to edit config.plist > Devices > Properties. Look for your IGPU and delete the entire entry.

The IGPU needed to be configured to be primary GPU and the ports need to be remapped because by default, it isn't mapped correctly in BIOS. Some motherboards don't require this mapping, but, unfortunately, yours does.
If you will be using a dedicated video card, the IGPU needs to be configured to be "headless" (as in no monitors connected and secondary). When you have a dedicated video card, macOS and Clover should be able to auto configure this and the entire entry can be deleted.

I also suggest that you change your system definition in config.plist > SMBIOS. I used iMac18,1 because that's the most recent iMac that shipped without any dedicated video card. With a video card, I suggest either iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1. If you use iMacPro1,1, you can disable IGPU in BIOS. If you use iMac19,1, you should set your RX 580 to be the "primary" display in BIOS.

Remember to make a backup of your config.plist before making changes.

For devices/ properties, I delete device_type VGA Compatible controller, AAPL,slot-name (Internal), and model (3rd Gen Core Processor Graphics Controller) ?

If you are still using the EFI that I provided, you will need to edit config.plist > Devices > Properties. Look for your IGPU and delete the entire entry.

The IGPU needed to be configured to be primary GPU and the ports need to be remapped because by default, it isn't mapped correctly in BIOS. Some motherboards don't require this mapping, but, unfortunately, yours does.
If you will be using a dedicated video card, the IGPU needs to be configured to be "headless" (as in no monitors connected and secondary). When you have a dedicated video card, macOS and Clover should be able to auto configure this and the entire entry can be deleted.

I also suggest that you change your system definition in config.plist > SMBIOS. I used iMac18,1 because that's the most recent iMac that shipped without any dedicated video card. With a video card, I suggest either iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1. If you use iMacPro1,1, you can disable IGPU in BIOS. If you use iMac19,1, you should set your RX 580 to be the "primary" display in BIOS.

Remember to make a backup of your config.plist before making changes.

For devices/ properties, I delete device_type VGA Compatible controller, AAPL,slot-name (Internal), and model (3rd Gen Core Processor Graphics Controller) ?

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 4.33.11 PM.png

Based on the screenshot, it appears that I got the RX580 to work! Now, I'm going to do research on fixing shutdown, sleep, and enable Wi-Fi with airdrop.

I have a Rosewill N900 wireless card.. still working the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back