Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@scottkendall I was hoping to keep it, but was not sure if the errors I kept getting at OC validate would cause problems. Feel free to modify the settings and try it yourself. Here are the instructions - https://github.com/CaseySJ/Aquantia-macOS-Patches
Generally Pastrychef EFI will work on all their systems with different boxes checked for different configurations. Unless they have changed that process. This way any system they have can be booted if something fails with their back up USB...

Hello there, I haven't done an update in a while. I'm still on Monterey 12.3.1.
What is possible right now? Can I update to the latest Ventura using newest open core?

Sonoma is possible, but it breaks Wi-Fi. You can make Wi-Fi work again by using OCLP but it requires that SIP and SecureBootModel to be disabled at the time of installation.

I tried making an update directly from app store it gave me an error. I downloaded full instal file for Ventura, and tried this way. After the first part goes through on MacOs. I'm rebooted to bootloader, I chose Install MacOs, it's loading for few minutes than restart's and I pick my MacOs partition. Next I log in, and the installation smilingly progresses on a black apple logo screen. After is completed I'm log in to the MacOS and the Ventura installer starts again and gives me: "An error ocurred loading the update"

I have some errors in Open Core, I tried 0.9.3, 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 (by loading all files from 0.9.6 prepared by you.)
Im getting this error in Open Core:

NOTE: This version of ocvalidate is only compatible with OpenCore version 0.9.6!
Kernel->Patch[6]->Replace requires ReplaceMask to be active for corresponding bits!
Kernel->Patch[7]->Replace requires ReplaceMask to be active for corresponding bits!
CheckKernel returns 2 errors!
Completed validating /Volumes/EFI/EFI/OC/config.plist in 4 ms. Found 2 issues requiring attention.

Last edited:
I tried making an update directly from app store it gave me an error. I downloaded full instal file for Ventura, and tried this way. After the first part goes through on MacOs. I'm rebooted to bootloader, I chose Install MacOs, it's loading for few minutes than restart's and I pick my MacOs partition. Next I log in, and the installation smilingly progresses on a black apple logo screen. After is completed I'm log in to the MacOS and the Ventura installer starts again and gives me: "An error ocurred loading the update"

I have some errors in Open Core, I tried 0.9.3, 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 (by loading all files from 0.9.6 prepared by you.)
Im getting this error in Open Core:

If you don't use a 10GBase-T ethernet card, you can delete everything in config.plist > Kernel > Patch and those errors will be gone.

If you don't use a 10GBase-T ethernet card, you can delete everything in config.plist > Kernel > Patch and those errors will be gone.
Thank you, I deleted all Patches with issues. Now the plist is validated. I'm trying to install again. After reboot I should pick installer in bootloader and than my MacOs partition? Or keep picking installer?
I keep getting An error occurred loading the update. Where can I find the install files to delete them, and try re-downloading them?

After a few days, I was able to fine-tune my OC settings. I noticed that while running MacOS with SIP and SecureBoot disabled, Firefox and some other apps wouldn't work well. Investigating a bit more, I discovered that I had to remove amfi=0x80 from boot-args, and inject AMFIPass.kext instead (source). Doing so, I was able to have a stable system and keep Broadcom WiFI support when booting with SIP and SecureBoot enabled.

@pastrychef I have taken the liberty to prepare a new .zip file for others to use for OpenCore 0.9.7. It follows your standard format, feel free to add it to the first post. It's main differences to your 0.9.3 release are:

• Updated all kext to their latest versions.
  • Included AMFIPass.kext (source).
  • Included IOSkywalkFamily.kext, I.O80211FamilyLegacy.kext, AirPortBrcmNIC.kext (source).
  • Replaced IntelMausiEthernet.kext with IntelMausi.kext (source).
  • Allowed IOSkywalk downgrade (source).
  • Removed AQuantia AQtion support (as it was giving me errors with OC validate and I don't use the card).
  • Included support for booting Linux from OC (enabling OpenLinuxBoot.efi and ext4_x64.efi).
  • LauncherOption set to Full to force Opencore to be prioritized in BIOS upon nvram resets.

The config.plist within the shared OC directory is set to keep SIP and Secure boot enabled. For safety reasons, I much prefer to follow @snoopy69's advise and use a bootable USB to temporary disable the two features when major upgrades are needed (details on PDF inside their .zip attachment here).

If anyone wants to disable SIP and SecureBoot to install root patches with OpenCore-Patcher, they might replace
EFI/OC/config.plist with the "No SIP No SecureBoot - config.plist" also included in the zip.
Was there anything else you needed to do to make the wifi work? I have tried in the past but I don't get all this stuff well enough to figure it out. Just enough to get in trouble :|....
I kept getting failed boots after using OCLP
Thanks for going through all of this and submitting it and thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Back