Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I am trying to get my Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 card working with my Hackintosh.
In the EFI I enabled the SSDT-Z390-RP05-SLOT4-TB3HP.aml and USBPorts-with-Power.kext. All vanilla files as supplied by @pastrychef

In the bios I setup the card as detailed in the first post including no authentication. This is also reported by the windows tool. In windows there is no issue at all. I can see the Thunderbolt NIC that is connected to the card as well as USB-C devices. The thunderbolt NIC is plugged in at boot and I can see it reported on the startup screen.
Both are working fine so this is a hardware problem with my MacOS setup.

Hackintool is showing the Thunderbolt card and the Thunderbolt NIC under PCIe, very similar to my Macbook.
I can also see the XHC5 under USB but for some reason SSP1 and SSP2 as defined in the kext do not appear
The Thunderbolt NIC is not appearing in my Network config and I can not add the NIC either. If I plugin USB-C devices it also does not appear.

Any idea what I am missing to get the card working on MacOS?

View attachment 574149

View attachment 574151View attachment 574150

View attachment 574152

It's been a long time since I messed with Thunderbolt on this motherboard... When I still had it, I connected an OWC Thunderbolt to 10GBase-T NIC and it worked OOTB albeit with sleep broken.

Are you sure your NIC is Mac compatible? Hackintool is reporting it as a Broadcom NIC. I don't know if macOS has drivers for that.

As for USB-C, is your device a true USB 3.2 Gen 2 10gbps device? I did not configure it to be compatible with USB 2 or USB 3 devices because I hit the macOS 15 port limit, but it should work fine with true USB 3.2 Gen 2 10gbps devices.

It's been a long time since I messed with Thunderbolt on this motherboard... When I still had it, I connected an OWC Thunderbolt to 10GBase-T NIC and it worked OOTB albeit with sleep broken.

Are you sure your NIC is Mac compatible? Hackintool is reporting it as a Broadcom NIC. I don't know if macOS has drivers for that.

As for USB-C, is your device a true USB 3.2 Gen 2 10gbps device? I did not configure it to be compatible with USB 2 or USB 3 devices because I hit the macOS 15 port limit, but it should work fine with true USB 3.2 Gen 2 10gbps devices.

Thanks

I am using an iPad Pro (USB 3.2) and an iPad Pro M1 (that supports Thunderbolt) to check the connection. As a cable I use an original Dell Thunderbolt cable which I use to connect my screen to my MacBook.
The Thunderbolt NIC is an original Apple Thunderbolt 2 that is connected via an Apple TB2>TB3 connector.
On my MacBook the three devices are reported correctly.

Should Hackintool not report the XHC5 ports? From the screenshot you can see that it recognizes the adapter but the ports SSP1-2 are not listed.

Thanks

I am using an iPad Pro (USB 3.2) and an iPad Pro M1 (that supports thunderbolt) to check the connection. As a cable I use an original Dell Thunderbolt cable which I use to connect my screen to my MacBook.
The thunderbolt NIC is an original Apple Thunderbolt 2 that is connected via an Apple TB2>TB3 connector.
On my MacBook the three devices are reported correctly.

Should Hackintool not report the XHC5 ports? From the screenshot you can see that it recognises the adaptor but the ports SSP1-2 are not listed.

I don't know if the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adaptor is the problem, but the NIC should work....

You can also try to flash the firmware on the Thunderbolt card for better macOS compatibility. Please see post #3518 of this thread for more info.

When installing the Thunderbolt card, I think one of the cables was a USB pass through. You can try remapping the USBPorts.kext to include those ports and see if you can get the USB to work. I never bothered because I was only interested in using the Thunderbolt ports for Thunderbolt and used the motherboard USB ports for USB.

The issue was actually simple to resolve. I noticed in ioregexplorer that VT-D was not working correctly.
After reading some tutorials and the opencore docs, a simple plist reconfiguration fixed all my issue.
Thunderbolt is now working.

to do:
- Thunderbolt hot plug Fixed
- Fix the USB mappings

I don't think the issue is related to the MacOS USB mappings.
  • In ioregexplorer, I can see the 2 USB ports that are specified in the usb kext. They just don't respond when a device (10gbit USB-c nvme enclosure) is plugged in. The external NVME drive is detected at 10gbit when plugged in to the USB-C of the motherboard.
  • I have the same behaviour in Windows 11. The NVME enclosure is not detected.
USB ports on the thunderbolt card only work when the USB connector is plugged to the motherboard. In this case it is just looping through the USB2 functionality from the motherboard. The thunderbolt card has it own 10gbit USB controller but I am unable to connect to it. Also boot from usb is not working when I connect it to the Thunderbolt controller. I tried a few different bios settings in the motherboard but this had no effect. Not sure what I am missing.

Thanks for pitching in!

Last edited:
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 8.53.54 AM.png

Hello friends, I'm trying to update macOS from Ventura to Sonoma. I did all the OpenCore updating. I did ocvalidate, and everything was perfect.
Then it starts installing via the system itself. But, when it restarts and I go to the install Sonoma option, it gives an error asking me to contact Panic.apple.

Look at the photo of verbose.

Thank you if you can help.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2023-12-01 at 18.59.20.png
    CleanShot 2023-12-01 at 18.59.20.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 10
Hello friends, I'm trying to update macOS from Ventura to Sonoma. I did all the OpenCore updating. I did ocvalidate, and everything was perfect.
Then it starts installing via the system itself. But, when it restarts and I go to the install Sonoma option, it gives an error asking me to contact Panic.apple.

Look at the photo of verbose.

Thank you if you can help.

Ddi you try clearing NVRAM?

Are you trying to install from USB flash drive? Did you try installing from recovery partition? Did you try different USB port for the flash drive?

Hi, I forgot to update the NVRAM. I'm updating directly through the system. after testing EFi and seeing that it didn't crash on my current system. I'm using OpenCore 0.9.6. with the clean ocvalidt.

Hi, I forgot to update the NVRAM. I'm updating directly through the system. after testing EFi and seeing that it didn't crash on my current system. I'm using OpenCore 0.9.6. with the clean ocvalidt.

It should work.... Maybe try downloading the full Sonoma installer and use that to install.

It should work.... Maybe try downloading the full Sonoma installer and use that to install.
I created the USB to do a clean update, but first I wanted to test it by installing it directly through the system. I'll have you reset the NVRAM, and I'll tell you.

Back