Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Just plug it in and connect your monitor to it. Lol

Personally, I'd disable IGPU in BIOS if using iMacPro1,1 system definition. But other than that, there really isn't anything else that needs to be done.
Well that was easier than I'd thought, by far - partly because physically getting the card in didn't actually require any juggling. Side note: very glad I did my thing with the NVME drives before this.

Positives: much improved in lightroom (which was what I wanted it for), especially the gfx-intensive new denoise thing they have. (Although note: huge speed gain compared to the iGPU, but RX570 still not tremendously fast for this particular task - about 20-30 seconds per photo - the denoise is a demanding pig). But also improved speed for the system overall, meaning it seems I was actually taxing the system/memory by running quite as much as I did (dozens of windows and programs) with the anemic on-board gfx and memory for the monitor. Maybe I'll try running a second monitor now just for fun.

Side note: the monitor, windows and font appearances are all subtly different. Means I'll have to spend some time fine-tuning and tweaking a dozen little things, or - more likely - just get used to it and then be annoyed if I ever have to switch back. At least the colours seem to be about the same, so at least for a bit don't have to freak out about calibration.

I'd've stuck a video card in here some time ago, like back when I built this, but it was during that whole dGPU shortage due to the bitcoin foolishness and they were all $$$$$$. For a well-sub $100 investment, it's a big improvement.

A question about updating BIOS on Gigabyte motherboards: does it reset everything else on the BIOS, or are the existing settings persistent?

If my memory is correct, everything is reset.

If my memory is correct, everything is reset.
Indeed. Took the plunge and upgraded the BIOS. (This is the M non-gaming motherboard, so to f6. I only had a few minor settings so was able to update those without too much difficulty.) New BIOS also has the cfg unlock feature. Apart from a few moments of confusion during the update/reboot cycle.

Vague impression that video card stuff is faster/smoother but can't say for certain.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 12.19.51.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 12.19.51.png
    850.7 KB · Views: 18
Got the new ssd.
I'm stuck in a reset loop during installation

There's a lot of stuff about X86 Legacy there. You shouldn't enable any of that "legacy" stuff.

Back