Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@pastrychef It seems that everything works), but I also wanted to find out how to replace “i9 and the video card ???” with my current ones.
Снимок экрана 2020-02-05 в 03.11.37.png

@pastrychef It seems that everything works), but I also wanted to find out how to replace “i9 and the video card ???” with my current ones.
View attachment 448348

Are you using the EFI folder from post #1? The only thing you need to do is to add your own Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.

Do not use the config.plist from post #4!

@pastrychef
Many thanks for this great thread and tutorial.
Maybe 2 naive questions from my side:
if NVRAM is activated on this Mobo, it means that we won't need to emulate it anymore right? As a consequence, we can get rid of the EmuVariableUefi.efi as well as the nvram.plist files in the EFI?
if the above is true, what is the advantage of native NVRAM versus the emulated one?
Thank you very much!

PS: I recently upgraded from 10.15.2 to 15.3. Everything was working fine except for imessage that freeze after coming back from sleep. When I read your thread I immediately upgraded the BIOS to version F9g (I was still on version F5): freeze problem after sleep gone! I am not sure I understand why but It is somehow related to not well behaved precedent BIOS versions....

if NVRAM is activated on this Mobo, it means that we won't need to emulate it anymore right?

Correct.

As a consequence, we can get rid of the EmuVariableUefi.efi as well as the nvram.plist files in the EFI?

Correct. You can also get rid of the RC scripts (or LogoutHook if you use OpenCore).

if the above is true, what is the advantage of native NVRAM versus the emulated one?

The biggest advantage is the retention of kernel panic logs across reboots if/when you experience a kernel panic. This is a HUGE advantage when trying to troubleshoot problems.

Beyond that, it's kind of subjective. I just find everything to be better, more stable. Like I said, I owned this motherboard for about 9 months and never wrote a guide until now because of the lack of native NVRAM and instability. It wasn't until the combination of BIOS F9g and native NVRAM that I can, in good conscience, recommend this motherboard.

Are you using the EFI folder from post #1? The only thing you need to do is to add your own Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.

Do not use the config.plist from post #4!
Yes i use EFI folder from post #1. and changed Serial, Board Serial, and UUID. tried to reinstall and change everything before installation and after. Still there is information about intel i9 and the video card "???". but everything works correctly, in geekbench the processor displays the correct one but the gpu is still "???"
maybe i need to do something else? thanks in advance

Yes i use EFI folder from post #1. and changed Serial, Board Serial, and UUID. tried to reinstall and change everything before installation and after. Still there is information about intel i9 and the video card "???". but everything works correctly, in geekbench the processor displays the correct one but the gpu is still "???"
maybe i need to do something else? thanks in advance

The CPU information in About This Mac is strictly cosmetic and doesn't matter. If it bugs you, you can edit it to say anything you like. Instructions can be found in the following link:

Is your GPU working correctly? Geekbench OpenCL benchmark?

Is your GPU working correctly? Geekbench OpenCL benchmark?
Then everything is fine. ;) GPU is working correctly.
Geekbench 5
OpenCL - 46805
Metal - 54462

Then everything is fine. ;) GPU is working correctly.
Geekbench 5
OpenCL - 46805
Metal - 54462

Yes. Those results seem excellent.

I think your system is working fine. Again, the cosmetic changes can be edited via the above link.

Back