Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@pastrychef : I went through this last weekend. My EFI is essentially yours as a foundation, and I've added and taken some stuff out to fit my Gaming X mobo. My network broke as well when I installed Big Sur, but then when I used esafeddie's EFI, network was back! I systematically went through the differences and found that the DisableIOMapper was the problem.

Do you know what this Quirk does? I found the manual to be very basic in its description of these quirks, although it probably wasn't written for people like me!

DisableIOMapper circumvents VT-d being enabled in BIOS. You should be able leave it set to "No" if you disable VT-d in BIOS. But I do play around with virtualization sometimes and I like leaving VT-d enabled...

I'm using the DVI port with adaptor to VGA monitor.

Try enabling screen sharing/VNC and see if you can connect after waking. If you are able to connect, your problem is probably somewhere along the monitor connection.

So, flashed BIOS to the one mentioned in the original post (say F9j), made the install drive using the Terminal commands and copied the EFI folder. I get a black screen about halfway through the progress bar... wondering if I need to edit config.plist with agdpmod=pikera because I have a RX 5600 XT...I opened the plist in text edit, but not quite sure where to paste the argument. I'm also trying to figure out how to add -v at startup for diagnostic purposes...I will search on those.

So, flashed BIOS to the one mentioned in the original post (say F9j), made the install drive using the Terminal commands and copied the EFI folder. I get a black screen about halfway through the progress bar... wondering if I need to edit config.plist with agdpmod=pikera because I have a RX 5600 XT...I opened the plist in text edit, but not quite sure where to paste the argument. I'm also trying to figure out how to add -v at startup for diagnostic purposes...I will search on those.

Yes, you need agdpmod=pikera.

Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and add agdpmod=pikera:
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.10.23 PM.png

Quick question about Quick Sync:

It seemed like it was working just fine last week (70-minute video rendered @ 1080p in a bit over 20 minutes, 4K version in less than an hour). Then I started messing with the USB mapping and when I blanked the serial and UUID (to upload my EFI folder for inspection), I didn't think and just 're-generated' them. It caused my AppleID account to wig out momentarily, but then I didn't think anything of it.

Then I went to render another 70-minute video project @ 1080p today and it took over an hour. Oof.

I plan on performing a fresh install of macOS later today anyway (in the hopes that I wipe out all traces of Windows in the UEFI and unlock USB mapping ability), and I assume it'll reset whatever issue is going on with my rendering, but I wanted to ask as it helps me to have any additional context when tweaking with my system.

Also, perhaps it is better to copy/paste whenever I need to blank my serial/UUID? Haha

Quick question about Quick Sync:

It seemed like it was working just fine last week (70-minute video rendered @ 1080p in a bit over 20 minutes, 4K version in less than an hour). Then I started messing with the USB mapping and when I blanked the serial and UUID (to upload my EFI folder for inspection), I didn't think and just 're-generated' them. It caused my AppleID account to wig out momentarily, but then I didn't think anything of it.

Then I went to render another 70-minute video project @ 1080p today and it took over an hour. Oof.

I plan on performing a fresh install of macOS later today anyway (in the hopes that I wipe out all traces of Windows in the UEFI and unlock USB mapping ability), and I assume it'll reset whatever issue is going on with my rendering, but I wanted to ask as it helps me to have any additional context when tweaking with my system.

Also, perhaps it is better to copy/paste whenever I need to blank my serial/UUID? Haha

Configuring USB should not affect Quick Sync.

You can easily test if Quick Sync is working or not by placing a jpeg and/or an mp4 video on your desktop. Then click on them an press the space bar.

Configuring USB should not affect Quick Sync.

You can easily test if Quick Sync is working or not by placing a jpeg and/or an mp4 video on your desktop. Then click on them an press the space bar.

So it isn't possible that, when re-populating my serial / UUID that something got messed up? I was hoping there was a quick trick to check if Quick Sync is active!

So it isn't possible that, when re-populating my serial / UUID that something got messed up? I was hoping there was a quick trick to check if Quick Sync is active!

If you are using the same serial, board serial, and UUID, nothing should get messed up.

If you are using the same serial, board serial, and UUID, nothing should get messed up.

I didn't think to copy/paste the values when I blanked them (to upload my EFI folder). I just generated new values.

Back