Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Yeah, that what I've been doing. I decided to return my RX 5700 XT and get a AMD Radeon VII. I will be getting the card on Friday. I will keep you updated!
Update I just got the new graphics card and it’s still crashes during the first step of the installation. Any idea to what’s going on? Could it be the SSD? It’s nvme Samsung @pastrychef

Well, I'm not sure what happened. I disconnected the HDMI cable and plugged it into my Xbox for a while. When I plugged it back into the 5700 XT, it wouldnt give a signal. Now it is back to locking up again after about 5 minutes or so. As far as I know, nothing has changed. I guess I'm gonna try to give the OpenCore stuff a go later on this evening.

Someone mentioned resetting monitor to default settings helped him...

Personally, I've never had much luck with HDMI. I always have to drop resolution and/or refresh rates to get stability on HDMI.

Update I just got the new graphics card and it’s still crashes during the first step of the installation. Any idea to what’s going on? Could it be the SSD? It’s nvme Samsung @pastrychef

Please post verbose screen.

Please post verbose screen.
video is currently uploading into youtube, I found this and I'm not sure if it's helpful i didn't understand much lol.

OK. I have the arguments in and booting up from OpenCore now. Still getting Freezes at about the 5 minute mark again. I don't know why it came back. But switching to OpenCore has had no effect.

I ran a test 3 times, and every time was right at about the 5min 20sec mark

UPDATE:

OK. So I read somewhere that putting the photo-library in the trash would fix the problem and after doing so I have gone 8 minutes, and it still hasn't locked up. While good to know I don't consider this a Valid solution.

Last edited:
video is currently uploading into youtube, I found this and I'm not sure if it's helpful i didn't understand much lol.

Here is the video as well @pastrychef

OK. I have the arguments in and booting up from OpenCore now. Still getting Freezes at about the 5 minute mark again. I don't know why it came back. But switching to OpenCore has had no effect.

UPDATE:

OK. So I read somewhere that putting the photo-library in the trash would fix the problem and after doing so I have gone 8 minutes, and it still hasn't locked up. While good to know I don't consider this a Valid solution.
Just broke down and got a Radeon VII.

No that should not apply to you.

Here is the video as well @pastrychef

I don't get it... Why are you are getting that "unable to get fs for (null)" error?? It's having problems reading/writing to your SSD...

In BIOS > Boot, can you try setting "Other OS" and/or "Windows 10"?

Also, please post your EFI as you currently have it.

Can you try the following?
  1. Pull the SSD from your Z390 M Gaming system.
  2. Connect the SSD to your working Mac or hackintosh.
  3. Install Catalina.
  4. Plug it back to your Z390 M Gaming system.

Last edited:

UPDATE:

Well I put the library file back then went into the Photo app preferences and turned off for iCloud and just about ever function that could possible cause it to work int he background and it seems to fix it. It has something to do with the way the background photo library daemon interacts with the 5700 XT GPU that cause the system to freeze. I don't know what it is but I just went ahead and got that VII that you pointed me to.

Back