Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

What does not work with serial port enabled?

I see nothing wrong with pmset.
So the problem @pastrychef is that I can't stop tinkering, whilst not fully understanding what I am doing :lol:

I've been having issues with Unlock With Apple Watch on this setup (it worked well on my Z87-HD3) so I was trying to find a solution with my limited knowledge and penchant for breaking stuff. Knowing that many people have an issue with wake from sleep when serial port is enabled, I wondered if this could be connected.

I reverted to BIOS F7 within which you can disable the Serial Port. Hey presto, unlock with Apple Watch works brilliantly. So I was trying to find a way to have the most up to date BIOS while disabling the Serial Port. Someone over at another forum (I like to give you a rest once in a while) helped me with a DSDT to disable SP which it did, but I think it broke sleep also and didn't fix the Apple Watch issue.

So to end a long story, I am going to stick with F7 where I can disable Serial Port. It's a horrible interface but it has the feature I want. You mentioned you had issues with the older BIOS's - anything I need to watch out for?

So the problem @pastrychef is that I can't stop tinkering, whilst not fully understanding what I am doing :lol:

I've been having issues with Unlock With Apple Watch on this setup (it worked well on my Z87-HD3) so I was trying to find a solution with my limited knowledge and penchant for breaking stuff. Knowing that many people have an issue with wake from sleep when serial port is enabled, I wondered if this could be connected.

I reverted to BIOS F7 within which you can disable the Serial Port. Hey presto, unlock with Apple Watch works brilliantly. So I was trying to find a way to have the most up to date BIOS while disabling the Serial Port. Someone over at another forum (I like to give you a rest once in a while) helped me with a DSDT to disable SP which it did, but I think it broke sleep also and didn't fix the Apple Watch issue.

So to end a long story, I am going to stick with F7 where I can disable Serial Port. It's a horrible interface but it has the feature I want. You mentioned you had issues with the older BIOS's - anything I need to watch out for?

If possible, please try Apple Watch unlock with (1) latest BIOS, (2) latest OpenCore EFI, and (3) no DSDT.

My issue with the older BIOSes was stability. I couldn't get the system running reliably. Booting was inconsistent and BIOS randomly reset itself.

Been following the wrong build by mistake. I tried the EFI from post #4, but it stalled, and after 30 sec the crossed circle icon.
I'll try and look thru this thread quickly

Attachments

• 20200611_173519.jpg
    20200611_173519.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
Been following the wrong build by mistake. I tried the EFI from post #4, but it stalled, and after 30 sec the crossed circle icon.
I'll try and look thru this thread quickly

It's USB related. Try plugging your keyboard/mouse to different ports and/or try different keyboard/mouse.

I moved the keyboard to one of the front panel ports
when i unplugged the wireless mouse dongle from the keyboard it added another "assuming successful power" line

edit 1 - tried a different keyboard, same result

then tried with Ethernet cable removed, it goes past the USB for another dozen lines then stops here (Alt Keyboard.jpg)
after ~1 min the text scrolls up one line, adds the crossed out circle icon, and a line of text at the bottom {????} waiting for root device

Attachments

• 20200611_185949.jpg
    20200611_185949.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 49
  • alt keyboard.jpg
    alt keyboard.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I moved the keyboard to one of the front panel ports
when i unplugged the wireless mouse dongle from the keyboard it added another "assuming successful power" line

edit 1 - tried a different keyboard, same result

then tried with Ethernet cable removed, it goes past the USB for another dozen lines then stops here (Alt Keyboard.jpg)
after ~1 min the text scrolls up one line, adds the crossed out circle icon, and a line of text at the bottom {????} waiting for root device

"Waiting for root device" implies USB problem. Please try the USB flash drive in a different USB port and/or a different USB flash drive.

trying a different USB Port on the rear of the case, marked as SS (3.0?)

that seems to be better, now

...except for ** In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 263136
Pleas go to (apple) to report this panic

...except for ** In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 263136
Pleas go to (apple) to report this panic

Please post a picture of the kernel panic.

Sorry, meant to do that
BTW how do i make the verbose mode the default?

Attachments

• In Memory Panic.jpg
    In Memory Panic.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
Back