Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 Designare 128GB RAM Massive Configuration Doubts :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have a 1500 MB/s NVMe hard drive...nobody needs 128 GB RAM in a workstation for any load these days. if somebody made it work please post some application performance results with 64GB vs 128GB RAM

you have a 1500 MB/s NVMe hard drive...nobody needs 128 GB RAM in a workstation for any load these days. if somebody made it work please post some application performance results with 64GB vs 128GB RAM

I use After Effects in a regular base every day, quite often I need to work with Premiere Pro, Illustrator, After Effects, Google Chrome and Word open all the time, plus few more app randomly.

I started my configuration with 32gb or RAM. When AE was open the full 32gb of ram where utilised at 100% even for very little motion graphic works. I had to close other apps when I needed to export to drastically speed up the AE process.

I decided to switched to 64GB, now it's much better of course but the RAM usage arrives up to 100% sometimes as well, no so often but it does. I don't need to close other to have a fast export neither. I think 64gb are probably adequate for what I do at the moment but if I had £300 more pounds to spend to a second 64gb kit, I would do that for sure.

I even maximised all 16gb of video RAM on my GPU the Radeon VII.

So I pretty sure 128gb are not so unnecessary today depending what you do.

I use After Effects in a regular base every day, quite often I need to work with Premiere Pro, Illustrator, After Effects, Google Chrome and Word open all the time, plus few more app randomly.

I started my configuration with 32gb or RAM. When AE was open the full 32gb of ram where utilised at 100% even for very little motion graphic works. I had to close other apps when I needed to export to drastically speed up the AE process.

I decided to switched to 64GB, now it's much better of course but the RAM usage arrives up to 100% sometimes as well, no so often but it does. I don't need to close other to have a fast export neither. I think 64gb are probably adequate for what I do at the moment but if I had £300 more pounds to spend to a second 64gb kit, I would do that for sure.

Hey, yeah it is about how many apps do you need to keep opened and using and I am also getting 128GB for my Z490 build as well. I have talked to ASUS recently about this topic for support of 128GB and they told me as long as all DIMMs are exactly same: brand, speed, size and are either 2 dual channel or 1 quad channel kits; will work absolutely fine. So if you are using 2×32GB kit, get another 2×32GB of exactl same one. There is part identification code for each ram module. Search with that and get that and will work.

Hey, yeah it is about how many apps do you need to keep opened and using and I am also getting 128GB for my Z490 build as well. I have talked to ASUS recently about this topic for support of 128GB and they told me as long as all DIMMs are exactly same: brand, speed, size and are either 2 dual channel or 1 quad channel kits; will work absolutely fine. So if you are using 2×32GB kit, get another 2×32GB of exactl same one. There is part identification code for each ram module. Search with that and get that and will work.

Thanks anannyo,
But keep in mind that if you build a hackintosh with 128gb you will need to map the ram in clover configurator to boot a system with 32gb ram sticks. Apparently clover is not compatible with 32gb modules sticks but only up to 16gb.
So although I have got 2x 32gb of ram I needed to map the config.plist in clover configurator as 4x16gb of ram to let the system boot. And it worked fine.

If you will use clover you will need to do the same, I think.

Thanks anannyo,
But keep in mind that if you build a hackintosh with 128gb you will need to map the ram in clover configurator to boot a system with 32gb ram sticks. Apparently clover is not compatible with 32gb modules sticks but only up to 16gb.
So although I have got 2x 32gb of ram I needed to map the config.plist in clover configurator as 4x16gb of ram to let the system boot. And it worked fine.

If you will use clover you will need to do the same, I think.
I am pretty sure this will be solved in updated clover. There is not such issue with OpenCore too :)

Just saw you have a different topic for my question. Posted there :

Last edited:

I totally agree! I'm running i9-9900K, 64Gb and a 1Tb NVMe boot (16 additional Tb SSD/Spinner mix and I mean 8Tb Enterprise spinner) running Pro Tools Ultimate/Avid Native Thunderbolt and I can't reasonably bring this system to it's knees. I do music production with lots of native effects, high end Virtual Instruments and this is the 1st computer I've had that I can say this is all I'll ever need for that. I've been building PCs for 35 years so that's saying something. If you have already proceeded to the next level CPU/MB combo this will apply more so as the current level of quality in music production far exceeds the quality of current delivery methods.

Last edited:
@theruck @sugarnutz I have to disagree with both of you. I am a composer and setting up only the legato string section of an orchestra while layering two different libraries with three microphone positions each, takes me about 50 GB of RAM. And it's just 10 tracks.. Go watch Hans Zimmer or Junkie XL, they use several computers with more than 128 GB each, linked together just to get enough RAM for their sample based instruments.

I have my Hackintosh running with 128 GB of RAM (4x32 GB) on an X299 Board, so I can at least confirm that it's possible there. However I am still struggling with some speed issues, I feel that stuff is getting loaded into RAM a bit too slow. Need to figure out more.

I totally agree! I'm running i9-9900K, 64Gb and a 1Tb NVMe boot (16 additional Tb SSD/Spinner mix and I mean 8Tb Enterprise spinner)

What RAM are you running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back