Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 9 - i7 7700k - GTX 1080 - Video Processing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My config is a lot like yours. Same motherboard, 32GB RAM (using 2 slots), 960 M.2 for system (250GB), 850 SSD 1TB for storage. I'm quite new to this, and I'm not able to get things to work. At my first attempt I was able to install High Sierra, but, when I ran MultiBeast and tried to restart it afterwards, the machine went into loop mode, starting again and again, and never reaching the desktop. I then erased the 960 and the USB stick, and started all over again. Now I'm getting as far as installing OS it seems, it restarts a couple of times during the installation process, But, when it looks like it's done with the install, it starts over, progress bar goes to around 90%, then start over again, and again.... I would greatly appreciate some help, and since we have quite similar specs, it would suggest that things will work if I use all your settings. I hope...

Could you share your clover folder kexts and config.plist?

It will now become obvious to you how big a noob I am;-) The only things I have done are:
- tweaked the BIOS
- installed OS using UniBeast
- done post installation using MultiBeast, selecting setting based on my knowledge about the motherboard, and input from the forum.
So I have not done anything extra with kexts and config.plist

@SMW We have really similar builds. Were you able to get iTunes movies to play with just the 1080? Any HDCP issues?

Also curious ... if you go to "About this Mac" and 'System Report'...under PCIe, how many graphic lanes does it say you're using? 8 or 16? I seem to be stuck on 8 which I assume is reducing my performance.

Last edited:
My config is a lot like yours. Same motherboard, 32GB RAM (using 2 slots), 960 M.2 for system (250GB), 850 SSD 1TB for storage. I'm quite new to this, and I'm not able to get things to work. At my first attempt I was able to install High Sierra, but, when I ran MultiBeast and tried to restart it afterwards, the machine went into loop mode, starting again and again, and never reaching the desktop. I then erased the 960 and the USB stick, and started all over again. Now I'm getting as far as installing OS it seems, it restarts a couple of times during the installation process, But, when it looks like it's done with the install, it starts over, progress bar goes to around 90%, then start over again, and again.... I would greatly appreciate some help, and since we have quite similar specs, it would suggest that things will work if I use all your settings. I hope...

It may be your Intel graphics causing the problem. Try booting in safe mode and see if you can reach the desktop (at clover boot screen, go to bootflags and add -x) Search for Intel HD630 in the forums...you'll see a lot of suggestions/tips.

I had a tough time getting mine to work and it sounds like SMW did as well. I eventually disabled it and just used my Nvidia card (and that was a challenge as well...several boot loops and black screens).

Worth noting in my many trials-and-errors, I installed an AMD RX460 card and it played really well with High Sierra with very little fuss. You might want to consider something like it. Relatively inexpensive, natively supported by High Sierra, works with Itunes movies without HDCP errors (copy protection issues), Final Cut X friendly. Just don't buy cards made by XFX...they don't work.

I needed more horsepower for my Windows 10 setup...running VR with an HTC Vive. Ended up keeping the 1080 installed.

I tried booting in safe mode, and now I can reach the desktop. Thanks! So now I am where I was at my first attempt, before using MultiBeast. This time in safe mode, the first time without. So now what? Should I again use MultiBeast? Suggestions for settings is greatly appreciated. This I'm quite certain of:
Quick start>UEFI boot mode
Drivers>Audio>ALC1220
Drivers>Audio>100/200/300 Series Audio Support
Disk>Intel Generic AHCI SATA

Misc, Network and USB - I don't know
Bootloaders - Don't know, but probably one of the UEFI modes
Customize>Graphics configuration - Don't know
Customize>SSDT options - Neither??
Customize>System definitions - The default, iMac 14,2?

Sounds like your internal graphics are the issue. Dig around the forums for HD630 and/or Intel graphics. Not sure Multibeast will get you past the problem at this stage. You could try selecting Intel graphics but, in my case that wasn’t enough.

Typically, you’ll have to add some kexts to your EFI partition and tweak some settings in Clover. It will be a bit of trial-and-error.

Before you go much farther though, if you haven’t yet, backup your current install so if you make any mistakes, you can quickly recover vs. starting from scratch.

World you rather recommend me to buy a graphics card, and in that case maybe you can recommend which one to buy? I work with music with a two screen setup, so my needs are not high at all. That’s why I opted to use the onboard graphics of the MB.

I'd go with an external card.

I tried several in my setup and found the AMD Radeon RX series was the easiest (same used in iMacs). They offer better performance, require very few tweaks to get working since drivers are built in to High Sierra, play iTunes movies with copy protection (HDCP), and work well with Apple apps like Final Cut X. You can pick up the base model, the RX560, for under $150.

Just a caveat-- avoid any made by XFX -- usually sold at Best Buy; they aren't Hackintosh friendly due to their VBIOS.

Hey I am stuck at Boot screen can anyone help? I have Same Configuration Gigabyte z270x Gaming 9 with i7 7700k along with Gigabyte Geforce 1050 Ti 4 Gb DDR5 graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back