Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K3 / i7-7700k - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming 5
CPU
i7 77000k
Graphics
PNY GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Folks

I'm about to order my bits and pieces for a build but just wanted thoughts really and any concerns you may have regarding compatability. I want the easiest possible install as I'm inexperienced with the tinkering and dont have a ton of spare time.

The PC will be made with a mix of new and existing parts, primarily as a Win 10 machine for work and games, and MacOS for music & video production.

-Mainboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z270-Gaming K3

-CPU:
Intel Core i7 7700K

-Graphics:
PNY GTX 980 Ti (Existing)

-RAM:
16GB DDR4 3000

- STORAGE:
1TB Samsung Evo 850 (Win 10)
500GB Samsung Evo 850 (MacOS)
I already have both drives - I also have a OCZ 24gb SSD which I may use for cross platform storage if that's even possible.

-Power:
beQuiet! 700W or Corsair 650w

Game Max Silent Sound Proofed Gaming Case

I use a USB Line 6 Toneport UX2 for audio.

What are your thoughts folks? I'm not married to the motherboard, if there is something else that performs better out of the box without much tinkering I'm all in!

Thanks

Hi Folks

I'm about to order my bits and pieces for a build but just wanted thoughts really and any concerns you may have regarding compatibility. I want the easiest possible install as I'm inexperienced with the tinkering and don't have a ton of spare time.

The PC will be made with a mix of new and existing parts, primarily as a Win 10 machine for work and games, and MacOS for music & video production.

-Mainboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z270-Gaming K3

-CPU:
Intel Core i7 7700K

-Graphics:
PNY GTX 980 Ti (Existing)

-RAM:
16GB DDR4 3000

- STORAGE:
1TB Samsung Evo 850 (Win 10)
500GB Samsung Evo 850 (MacOS)
I already have both drives - I also have a OCZ 24gb SSD which I may use for cross platform storage if that's even possible.

-Power:
beQuiet! 700W or Corsair 650w

Game Max Silent Sound Proofed Gaming Case

I use a USB Line 6 Toneport UX2 for audio.

What are your thoughts folks? I'm not married to the motherboard, if there is something else that performs better out of the box without much tinkering I'm all in!

Thanks

The current MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 does not have support for the Kaby Lake CPU and motherboard you want. But the next update 10.12.6 should support Kaby Lake natively since the new Macs from Apple are now using Kaby Lake.

So I suggest you wait until MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 or High Sierra 10.13 is released. At that time check whether someone can successfully install 10.12.6 or 10.13 on a Kaby Lake system before trying yourself.

If you want it now, my suggestion will be to use a Skylake CPU (say Core i7 6700K) and a Gigabyte Z170 motherboard (one from the Buyer's Guide will do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back