Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170M-D3H v1.0
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Hi Guys,

I have the Z170M-D3H with a 6700K and GTX970 and have managed to run the Sierra installer from USB. I can reboot and start the OS but once I run Multibeast and reboot, I can't get into the OS anymore. Instead I see the circle/slash/prohibit "do not enter" sign instead.

No matter what overrides I do in Clover, I can't seem to get in and fix it, so I erase the drive and repeat the install again. I'd like to get this machine working without having to go through this whole process over and over with trial and error on settings. Does anyone have a walkthrough for this machine?

Try this (assuming you have created a UEFI Unibeast key properly and made the basic motherboard settings):
Install the OS after reformatting your drive. Reboot with Unibeast into your OSX installation.
Unibeast should provide networking.
Run Multibeast to install clover and network drivers.
Do not reboot.
Download and install the appropriate Nvidia drivers. Reboot pressing the button to reboot on the Nvidia installer.
Power off your machine at the appropriate time.
Remove your USB Unibeast key.
Direct your motherboard to boot from your OSX drive. You should be able to boot to the drive but will not have audio.
Make sure you have networking.
Install audio drivers and reboot. To get Audio working you will likely have to run the Toledo script with your EFI partition mounted
(you have to learn what that means and how to do it).
Reboot.
If audio is working you will have choose the correct outputs via preferences.
If you can boot, have Nvidia drivers, audio and network I strongly suggest you clone your drive before going further.
There are other desirable things to install with Multibeast but that is up to you.

Hi Guys,

I have the Z170M-D3H with a 6700K and GTX970 and have managed to run the Sierra installer from USB. I can reboot and start the OS but once I run Multibeast and reboot, I can't get into the OS anymore. Instead I see the circle/slash/prohibit "do not enter" sign instead.

No matter what overrides I do in Clover, I can't seem to get in and fix it, so I erase the drive and repeat the install again. I'd like to get this machine working without having to go through this whole process over and over with trial and error on settings. Does anyone have a walkthrough for this machine?

Boot in verbose mode and find out the error message or post a photo of the frozen verbose screen.

Most probably your booting stuck with the message "Still waiting for root device".

If Yes. Then,
1. Make sure that your HDD/SSD where the OS X installed connected to the first SATA port on your motherboard.
2. VT-d Disabled on BIOS
3. Set SATA Mode to AHCI on BIOS.

Once above are done, try booting without caches.

Trying to get the error but every time the slash comes up it garbles the screen. Here's what I got if you can make it out...
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1034.JPG

Looks like the last line before it slashes out says "still waiting for root device"

My apologies, for some reason the upload is posting my photos upside down.

SATA mode is AHCI
vt-d is disabled.

Attachments

• IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
Some more screens

Attachments

• IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    793 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    924.8 KB · Views: 81
Trying to get the error but every time the slash comes up it garbles the screen. Here's what I got if you can make it out...View attachment 222697 View attachment 222698 View attachment 222699 View attachment 222700

Looks like the last line before it slashes out says "still waiting for root device"

My apologies, for some reason the upload is posting my photos upside down.

SATA mode is AHCI
vt-d is disabled.

No more screenshots required for now. Your issue is as like the message saying "Still waiting for root device". The booting process failing to see your HDD/SSD.

What are the options you selected on MultiBeast ??

I don't remember, but I can redo it from scratch if need be. I *may* have selected generic intel SATA. Any advice on settings for next attempt?

post your config.plist

I don't remember, but I can redo it from scratch if need be. I *may* have selected generic intel SATA. Any advice on settings for next attempt?

Do selections on MultiBeast and post a photo of the summary screen before proceeding with installation.

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for all the help. The cause of my problem was actually my SSD.

I noticed before that sometimes when running the boot stick, the SSD would appear and other times it would not. I had chalked this up to my playing with boot options, but realized it wasn't the case when I tried simply booting repeatedly. The SSD was not consistently showing in Disk Utility etc.

I downloaded a firmware updater from the Intel site and ran the patch from a CD. Once the SSD had the latest firmware, the problem went away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back