Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128735&cm_re=ga_phoenix-_-13-128-735-_-Product and it works perfectly with Mavericks.

Yosemite did not go so well however. I got deadbeef when I installed and had to boot in safety mode to get it to work. Once installed the stability was pretty poor and I would loose audio after sleep. I tried installing right when Yosemite was officially released so my memory isn't totally clear but I'm pretty sure I needed safety mode to boot after it was installed as well. I tried a bunch of different solutions but nothing really worked. Will this board ever work with Yosemite or is it a lost cause?

Btw my GPU is a EVGA GTX 650 so that shouldn't be an issue.

Here's my multibeast settings: http://i.imgur.com/XdRAzAU.png

I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128735&cm_re=ga_phoenix-_-13-128-735-_-Product and it works perfectly with Mavericks.

Yosemite did not go so well however. I got deadbeef when I installed and had to boot in safety mode to get it to work. Once installed the stability was pretty poor and I would loose audio after sleep.

Lost audio after sleep is happening on Apple hardware as well. Apple have been playing about with audio for over a year.

I tried installing right when Yosemite was officially released so my memory isn't totally clear but I'm pretty sure I needed safety mode to boot after it was installed as well. I tried a bunch of different solutions but nothing really worked. Will this board ever work with Yosemite or is it a lost cause?

What were you getting when booting using -v?

Btw my GPU is a EVGA GTX 650 so that shouldn't be an issue.

Here's my multibeast settings: http://i.imgur.com/XdRAzAU.png

You cannot just install everything and expect it to work. There are things in your MultiBeast settings that you should not be using.

Try a fresh installation selecting only DSDT free, and your network ethernet kext and see if that will boot properly. If it does not then boot using -v and take a good clear photograph when the text stops. Post using the 'Manage Attachments feature.

Does the audio situation on official apple hardware mean I've got no chance of having it fully working?

(ALC898 btw)

The install disk booted fine with -v, no issues. I'd still like to fix this though because ideally I would have my playlist set up to quietboot. After restarting, I tried to boot from the SSD with no flags and got this:

boot1withnothing.jpg

Restarted again and got into set up but then my system froze. I forgot that I had my wifi card in still so I took that out, tried again, and got through set up with no problems. Did a restart (which worked without any power management stuff) and tried to boot into OSX again with nothing installed and minimal hardware. I used 1 stick of 4gb 1333 ram in the first slot, a video card (gtx 650), and thats it. Here's what the kernel panic looked like for that.

IMG_20141029_202641.jpg

Oddly, I would get successful boots sporadically, but then the reset button at the login screen would make everything freeze.

Again, everything worked when I used -v the next time around. Restart from the login screen works as well. I tried -v with bare minimum stuff twice and both times it worked.

I installed the ethernet driver even though I'm not sure I need it actually. System profile showed an ethernet controller on first boot. I got the same kernel panic in the first picture, rebooted using -v and everything worked. What's up with the need for a -v flag and will I ever be able to boot without it? Looks like I don't need any power management stuff either.

After I used multibeast I would get the all black screen with a load bar when I tried to boot without any flags.

What was excessive in my mb settings? According to the mb guide things like EvOreboot or ElliottForceLegacyRTC are mandatory for systems not using dsdt.

Here's another type of error I got. It's the vertical one apparently caused by my graphics card even though it's worked plenty of times before. This time -v didn't work.

Attachments

• IMG_20141029_201928.jpg
    IMG_20141029_201928.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20141029_233528.jpg
    IMG_20141029_233528.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 60
Okay, so GraphicsEnabler=Yes solved my boot problem. Partially. Now my card is showing up with 0 ram in system profiler. And the boot is a little rough looking. From the white apple load screen, everything goes black for a second or two before the login screen appears, but as the log in screen appears you can kind of tell that it was supposed to fade in from the white screen as opposed to just roughly cutting in. Also the load bar kinda lingers a little longer then it should.

I feel pretty stupid for the solution being that simple, but in the past my card had native support so I figured it wouldn't be a problem at all in Yosemite. I tried to boot from the usb drive just to see if the GE=Y flag would work there too and I got a kernel panic. I have no idea whats going on.

Setting IGPEnabler = Yes and GE = No got my card fully recognized then I switched back to GE = Y and IGPE = N and the numbers stayed the same. Weird.

But everything looks pretty stable. I've had one random freeze and I had to take out and plug back in the usb receiver for the mouse and keyboard. But sleep seems to work ok even though it takes a minute or two to kick in and I've done plenty of restarts. Now for audio and I'm done! I'll post my revised MB settings later.

Yet another edit: I take back what I said about stability. I'm still getting random freezes and I had a fakeSMC kernel panic.

Sound works with realtekALC/ patch in place but no audio after sleep. I have sound immediately after I wake the computer but after a few minutes it's gone.

Sound works with realtekALC/ patch in place but no audio after sleep. I have sound immediately after I wake the computer but after a few minutes it's gone.

Going Bald found that by manually putting the computer to sleep and then waking up minimised the no audio after sleep issue. I don't use sleep - I power off my machine over night or when I am away for any length of time.

I also use a USB audio adaptor as a backup (these work with a USB audio kext in OS X) and are unaffected by the normal input and output not working.

Sound is now working with sleep after changing my smbios to iMac 14,2. There's a small pop if the system is quiet for maybe 15 - 20 minutes, but thats good enough for me.

This is weird. I have sound immediately when I wake from sleep but if I leave it alone and don't play anything it drops for a few minutes then comes back.

Turns out all my problems were because of the graphics card. I turned off internal graphics in the bios and that allowed me to boot into the usb installer without any flags. The GTX 650 may have partial support in Yosemite but it ain't great. I found another thread where a guy had similar problems and his solution was to delete all the nvidia kexts and replace them with DP1 kexts. After doing that I had no problems with booting, restarting, or sleeping even though it does take a while for the computer to sleep. Everything works.

I'm still pretty tempted to buy another card for the sake of stability. I got a random freeze during multibeast but haven't had any more for a couple hours. The transition from white apple screen to login screen is pretty choppy. The screen goes black for a second or two then shows the login screen, but the load bar still lingers like i mentioned earlier for a couple seconds. Also, when my TV is connected using the mini hdmi port, the sign in screen shows in the TV's resolution on my monitor, instead of the monitors native resolution. Seems to go away after I log in.

Good to hear that you have got Yosemite working reasonably well. There is some odd things happening with graphics cards - seen a few where only select ports work, a number of people have also required the DP1 driver fix - including one of the site mods. I would not change the GPU at this point unless you really want to. People are having issues with running more than one monitor on Intel Graphics, AMD cards and NVIDIA cards. Monitors with different resolutions are throwing up similar issues to those that you are describing.

I think Yosemite is still in early days - we are early adopters at this point. There may be fixes for some of these issues over time. Certainly I think that many have been created by Yosemite.

I have another question. Yosemite is supposed to use 1600 ram at the minimum but I'm running 1333. Is there anything wrong with that or how much am I losing with performance?

edit: This apparently works on official macs so I should probably be fine.

Last question! So there are no nvidia cards out there right now that are fully supported natively in Yosemite? Does it have anything to do with Apple using Radeon cards recently?

Nevermind. Macbooks use nvidia 750m but their desktops use AMD so I guess thats why they still have nvidia drivers.

I have another question. Yosemite is supposed to use 1600 ram at the minimum but I'm running 1333. Is there anything wrong with that or how much am I losing with performance?

It depends on the hardware that you are using. I have an old socket 775 build that will run Yosemite fine. The RAM was DDR2 800MHz when new and the hardware does not support faster RAM. Yosemite runs fine considering the actual hardware that is being used.

If you have 8GB of 1333MHz Ram then the performance difference in real world terms between that and 1600MHz is minimal.

If you expect to keep this build running for 4-5 years then its worth considering changing to 16GB of RAM for the long term. Remember that 4-5 years ago 4GB of RAM was considered a lot more than was needed for most people day to day. Over time software apps will find ways to use that RAM now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back