Contribute
Register

Gigabyte to unveil Thunderbolt 7-series motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay- it's official! We should be getting a ton of information in the next few days on upcoming motherboard models. :mrgreen:

Computex 2012 will offer a first look forthcoming GIGABYTE 7 series motherboards featuring Thunderbolt™ technology. Supporting simultaneous connectivity for multiple devices using a jaw-dropping bi-directional 10Gbps data pipeline, GIGABYTE Thunderbolt™ motherboards help the desktop PC evolve to new levels of flexible, high performance connectivity.

Gigabyte_Computex.jpg

Does anyone know where do get any Hackintosh usable Thunderbolt PCI cards? Ive just bought my UD5H, can't really return it and thunderbolt is quite a big thing for me? Thanks.

techyapplemanhd said:
Does anyone know where do get any Hackintosh usable Thunderbolt PCI cards? Ive just bought my UD5H, can't really return it and thunderbolt is quite a big thing for me? Thanks.

About zero unless you have an Asus board.
Blame Intel and Apple for it, as the standard requires DisplayPort signalling, so it's not possible to do data alone. The TB_Header on the Asus boards allows the cards to interface with the GPIO bus, something no other board has.
Add to that, if you want to use it with a discrete card, you have to connect a cable from the DisplayPort of your graphics card to the Asus Thunderbolt card and then from the card to whatever device you want to connect over Thunderbolt.
It's not clear if there's a way around this in OS X, but at least in Windows on motherboards using integrated TB you can use LucidLogix's VirtuMVP software to pip the graphics output directly to the TB ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back