Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE RX 6600 XT - screen goes off on booting Ventura 13.1

About Windows path.
Is PEGPS a typo or is it right?
With PEGPS the dsl can't compile to aml.
You have /PC00@0/PEG1@1/PEGP@0 in gfxutil (converted to _SB_.PC00.PEG1.PEGP in the SSDT).

config.plist

Remove the 2 properties for the AMD in
Code:
DeviceProperties >> Add >> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
DeviceProperties >> Add >> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x1)
Try without them.

I don't see any other strange thing.

I attach a SSDT-BRG0.aml with the PCI patch _SB_.PC00.PEG1.PEGP, you need to check that this is the right IOReg patch. This SSDT needs nothing in DeviceProperties but, if the issue is not fixed, we can add code in this place. Replace yours with this one.
C-like:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "ACDT", "BRG0", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PC00.PEG1.PEGP, DeviceObj)

Scope (\_SB.PC00.PEG1.PEGP)
    {
        Device (BRG0)
        {
            Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
            Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
            {
                If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                {
                    Return (0x0F)
                }
                Else
                {
                    Return (Zero)
                }
            }

Device (GFX0)
            {
            }
        }
    }
}

Is the card plugged in the first PCIe slot (PCIe 5.0)? Or in a 16x slot (PCIe 4.0 or 3.0)? PCIe power cable well plugged?
First of all thank you once again for all your effort!
I will go as per your advice and will recheck everything. Will let you know as soon as possible.
Thank you and cheers ❤️

About Windows path.
Is PEGPS a typo or is it right?
With PEGPS the dsl can't compile to aml.
You have /PC00@0/PEG1@1/PEGP@0 in gfxutil (converted to _SB_.PC00.PEG1.PEGP in the SSDT).

config.plist

Remove the 2 properties for the AMD in
Code:
DeviceProperties >> Add >> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
DeviceProperties >> Add >> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x1)
Try without them.

I don't see any other strange thing.

I attach a SSDT-BRG0.aml with the PCI patch _SB_.PC00.PEG1.PEGP, you need to check that this is the right IOReg patch. This SSDT needs nothing in DeviceProperties but, if the issue is not fixed, we can add code in this place. Replace yours with this one.
C-like:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "ACDT", "BRG0", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PC00.PEG1.PEGP, DeviceObj)

Scope (\_SB.PC00.PEG1.PEGP)
    {
        Device (BRG0)
        {
            Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
            {
                If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                {
                    Return (0x0F)
                }
                Else
                {
                    Return (Zero)
                }
            }

Device (GFX0)
            {
            }
        }
    }
}

Is the card plugged in the first PCIe slot (PCIe 5.0)? Or in a 16x slot (PCIe 4.0 or 3.0)? PCIe power cable well plugged?
I’ve checked and yes it’s plugged into the first PCIe Slot (5.0)

Last edited:
Hello @miliuco
Sorry for the late reply

Here is the current update on the boot status

SSDT-BRG0.aml ON
WhateverGreen.kext OFF
Boot Args OFF

Please see the attached video record

Thank you once again!

Attachments

• Screen_Record.mp4.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 35
Here is the current update on the boot status

SSDT-BRG0.aml ON
WhateverGreen.kext OFF
Boot Args OFF

Please see the attached video record
Good night. I think that all AMD cards start in a similar way on macOS. Apple and progress bar (approx. 5 seconds on my system), black screen (approx. 5 seconds on my system) >> Desktop or login screen.
In your video, the black screen time is longer than mine but it's only 8 seconds.
I'm pretty sure many users exhibit the same behavior. It's not too long a time.
I really don't know what you can do to make it shorter. Your machine is more powerful than mine so it should boot faster. But it is also less compatible with macOS.
What is strange is that with WEG + agdpmod the screen goes black.

Good night. I think that all AMD cards start in a similar way on macOS. Apple and progress bar (approx. 5 seconds on my system), black screen (approx. 5 seconds on my system) >> Desktop or login screen.
In your video, the black screen time is longer than mine but it's only 8 seconds.
I'm pretty sure many users exhibit the same behavior. It's not too long a time.
I really don't know what you can do to make it shorter. Your machine is more powerful than mine so it should boot faster. But it is also less compatible with macOS.
What is strange is that with WEG + agdpmod the screen goes black.
Hello @miliuco
Thank you so much for your reply and clarification.
For now, actually, it works so I'm not bothered with this after your reply.
Your info was really helpful for me otherwise I would never know that this card can work more stable without the kext and boot args :)
really strange

It’s interesting. I had a similar issue with my Gigabyte RX 6600 and MSI Z690 board. The only option that worked for me was removing the -v option in the boot-args. I followed the directions in this thread, but none of them worked for my configuration. Here are the combinations I tested. As my system is now very stable, I don't need the -v option now but who knows. PS: I could boot with -v if I made the SSD slower, for example Gen4 to Gen3, or use a HDD.

rx6600 black screen.png

Last edited:
It’s interesting. I had a similar issue with my Gigabyte RX 6600 and MSI Z690 board. The only option that worked for me was removing the -v option in the boot-args. I followed the directions in this thread, but none of them worked for my configuration. Here are the combinations I tested. As my system is now very stable, I don't need the -v option now but who knows. PS: I could boot with -v if I made the SSD slower, for example Gen4 to Gen3, or use a HDD.
Great work!
does your screen go off now?
I mean after loading the half of the Apple bar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another ask, please
do you face a reboot issue on cold boot?

Great work!
does your screen go off now?
I mean after loading the half of the Apple bar?
Screen goes off for 3(?) seconds after the Apple bar and login-in screen is displayed.

Another ask, please
do you face a reboot issue on cold boot?
Everything works with WEG + pikera - -v. Cold boot/warm boot/sleep/wake. But with -v, it goes black when the login-in screen is displayed unless I changed the SSD speed to Gen3. I'm using WD SN850X supporting NVMe Gen4.

Screen goes off for 3(?) seconds after the Apple bar and login-in screen is displayed.

Everything works with WEG + pikera - -v. Cold boot/warm boot/sleep/wake. But with -v, it goes black when the login-in screen is displayed unless I changed the SSD speed to Gen3. I'm using WD SN850X supporting NVMe Gen4.
Where is the option to change the SSD speed? please
Mine is SN770

if possible can you share your config.plist? please

Back