Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Posts Z87 LGA 1150 Motherboard Lineup Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for anyone who knows...what differences are there between the H87 and Z87 chipsets? If you go to Intel's site and pull up a comparison (http://ark.intel.com/compare/75013,75004), it appears that they have identical specifications, at least at the level of detail presented.

I have a question for anyone who knows...what differences are there between the H87 and Z87 chipsets? If you go to Intel's site and pull up a comparison (http://ark.intel.com/compare/75013,75004), it appears that they have identical specifications, at least at the level of detail presented.

H87 is a scaled-back chipset option, suitable when overclocking and multiple video cards are not needed. It cannot split the main PCI-Express x16 slot into two connections, though the PCI-Express 3.0 standard is still supported. Support for increasing the multiplier on unlocked processor models is also missing, so no overclocking support. Aside from those two limitations, though, it is effectively the same as Z87: the same number of SATA and USB ports are there, onboard Intel graphics etc.
Why pay more for a Z87 board if you don't
over clock or need dual graphics cards? That applies to a lot of us building CustoMacs.

H87 is a scaled-back chipset option, suitable when overclocking and multiple video cards are not needed. It cannot split the main PCI-Express x16 slot into two connections, though the PCI-Express 3.0 standard is still supported. Support for increasing the multiplier on unlocked processor models is also missing, hence the lack of overclocking support. Aside from those two limitations, though, it is effectively the same as Z87: the same number of SATA and USB ports are there, SSD caching, onboard Intel graphics, and more.

I'd forgotten about the overclocking limitations of H77 vs. Z77, I should have guessed it was the same for H87 vs. Z87. Thanks for the info.

The VIA USB 3.0 on the Z77X-UD5H are VIA hubs, not controllers; they just "multiply" the Intel chipset's USB 3.0 support. Same goes for the Renesas USB 3.0 on the Z87X-UD5H. So they should work fine.
Thanks for clarifying. How does it actually multiply intels chipset? For instance, since ivy bridge only supported one USB 3.0's headers are its 5GB/S maximum bandwidths shared across all its controllers? Or does each Hub have access to its theoretical 5GB/s? Just wondering if you could clarify.

I picked up the Gigabyte z87 ud5h yesterday, haven't had the chance to set it up yet, will be doing that tonight after work..
Done yet?

Attachments

• 20130603-135736.jpg
    20130603-135736.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 440
Called Gigabyte US today and spoke with sales. Mobo GA-Z87X-UD7 TH will be available early August through Amazon and Newegg.20130603-135736.jpg

Called Gigabyte US today and spoke with sales. Mobo GA-Z87X-UD7 TH will be available early August through Amazon and Newegg.View attachment 58783
The ASUS Z87-EXPERT is out now and looks to be the cheapest Z87 motherboard with Thunderbolt right now. Almost bought it impulsively (not really worried about the price), but I should wait to see if it is Hackintosh compatible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131992

Also, since these desktop processors are HD 4600, won't that give it Hackintosh compatibility problems?

What do you think, Tony?

The ASUS Z87-EXPERT is out now and looks to be the cheapest Z87 motherboard with Thunderbolt right now. Almost bought it impulsively (not really worried about the price), but I should wait to see if it is Hackintosh compatible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131992

Also, since these desktop processors are HD 4600, won't that give it Hackintosh compatibility problems?

What do you think, Tony?
I think the same goes for them like the IB onesm, they will need patched BIOS.

For the HD4600... we will see. Maybe we will remain without support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back